New Mazda 2.2L Diesel Engine for Europe in 2009

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
Mazda, owned one-third by Ford Motor Co, also announced a new, more powerful 2.2-litre diesel engine to replace the current 2.0-litre diesel engine it mounts on the Mazda3, Mazda5 and Mazda6 models in Europe.

Managing Executive Officer Nobuhiro Hayama said the bigger engine held carbon dioxide emissions and fuel efficiency at the same level as the 2.0-litre engine, but would enable Mazda to power larger cars, thus lowering its fleet's overall emissions.

The new engine will be introduced in Europe from 2009.

Source:
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUST5904820080909

The claimed 182-horsepower output by the new turbo diesel engine isn't much to write home about, but the 295 pound-feet of torque and 42 mpg are pretty impressive. Incremental power gains with a boost in displacement are to be expected, but the most interesting feature about the new diesel engine is the newly developed diesel particulate filter (DPF) that uses a catalyst-activation mechanism to remove soot from the exhaust gases 60 percent faster than current systems. Faster scrubbing of the exhaust improves the overall fuel economy and CO2 emissions.

Source:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10036904-48.html

wow thats pretty cool... 182hp and 295ft/lb with 42mpg=yes please!!! ill take 2 one for me and one for the gf!

edit*** one thing i forgot the price it needs to be around 20k it can't be up near ms3 pricing in my opinion.

Last edited:
And for NA, for Diesel we get: nada

until they don't have an AT suitable for diesels no way to get diesel in USA.....
In dealer's Europe meetings people of Mazda Europe are sick and tired of hearing this question: "When an AT fo mazda6 diesels? a lot of customers ask for......"
(screwy):mad:

Mazda_2_2_CRTD_01.jpg

Mazda_2_2_CRTD_02.jpg

Mazda_2_2_CRTD_03.jpg

Mazda_2_2_CRTD_04.jpg

Mazda_2_2_CRTD_05.jpg

This would work great in several of the Mazda vehicles.

I look forward to test driving one when they eventually get here to the US.

Reading the official infos realeased by Mazda, in my opinion this is NOT the "next gen" Diesel "ready for US" displayed in Tokyo 07...they talk about clearly of an engine block derivate from actual 2.0 diesel (ergo NOT an aluminium engine Block like the prototype seen in Tokyo)

IMHO this is the latest evolution of original DI Diesel Engine who debuted in Mazda 626

Back