Rear suspension noises on the 08

Ogre

:
2008 Mazda5 Touring
I understand that the 05-07 had some issues with noises from the suspension that I assumed was to be fixed in the follow on production runs.

Our 08 makes a racket (creaks & groans) over every bump from the passenger side rear suspension when any reasonable (4 adult passenger) load is in the car.
It also makes a gawd awful KLUNK either over bigger bumps with 4 or medium bumps with 6 (2 each 50Lbs kids in the rear).

Any others experiencing this on their 08's or had any success in getting the dealer to acknowledge it as a problem and/or have a solution?

Last edited:
I continue to have the same problem on my 07. The dealer looked at it once, but hasn't been able to solve the problem. I still need to talk to them about it again. Mine comes from the right-rear. Has anyone found the cause of this?

mine makes some noise sometimes, when going over speedbumps. I took it to the dealer and they "could not replicate". I haven't bothered going back. It seems to do it less often now for some reason though.

Oh man... thanks for reminding me... winter's on the way! We only her the dreaded clunk when parked outside in very cold temps for an extended period of time. when my son was born last year, our 5 sat out all day and overnight in 8 degrees F. I tell you the 5 can feel the cold and does not like it! Good new was that all was well after warming up. Bad news is I don't have the 5 outside that often, so taking it to the dealer would be pretty hard.

I wish I could say our issues are related to the cold,
but I don't think mid 90's is cold.

FYI the wife's starting making noises about 6 mo before her rear shock gave way, but she doesnt drive but 3-5k per year.

lol.. for some odd reason, i read the wife is starting making noises about 6 mo before her rear shock gave away... lol

suppose to be a very common problem.. i work at mazda, those tech guys told me they replace the rear something bushing..

my 08 is starting to have that noise.. i just haven't got them to look at it yet.

lol.. for some odd reason, i read the wife is starting making noises about 6 mo before her rear shock gave away... lol

suppose to be a very common problem.. i work at mazda, those tech guys told me they replace the rear something bushing..

my 08 is starting to have that noise.. i just haven't got them to look at it yet.

Seems to me its common for mazda5 to have blown rear shocks. I complained about the squeeking noise last winter and they found my left rear shocks are shot and replaced both.

I also had the same problem, and they have replaced them both without any question ... that's what i called good services.

I had a clunking in the rear suspension - it was a blown shock. Have them checked. My dealer said it's common.

I had the clunk too - right rear - sounded like the suspension on a taxi with 200,000 miles on it. The dealership replaced the bushings, filed down a welding burr on the coil spring (they said that was on a TSB?) and replaced the right rear shock. All better - it is a pleasure to drive a quiet, tight car again. (Now I wish they had replaced both - oh well - plenty of warranty left.)
Are these the same shocks as the 3 and do they have the same problem?

Hmmm no clunk from rear...but front bushings went and drove me nuts...seems to happen alot with "Mini Vans" for some reason....our T&C had the same problem. If they go again i may try aftermarket

I am told...

Hmmm no clunk from rear...but front bushings went and drove me nuts...seems to happen alot with "Mini Vans" for some reason....our T&C had the same problem. If they go again i may try aftermarket

...that part of the issue is the hardness of the bushings. I had all of my struts and bushings replaced on our 5. All covered under warranty. If it's any consolation I drove in a Audi A4 that had the sme problem with 20,000 miles on it.

Hey, Henika have this problem too.

Touchwood, 3000 km now... the rear still silent... but the brakes are still very PANICKY... it either doesn't stop even i covered brakes, or brake hard...

(wow)

Hey, Henika have this problem too.

Touchwood, 3000 km now... the rear still silent... but the brakes are still very PANICKY... it either doesn't stop even i covered brakes, or brake hard...

(wow)

Yeah, only when I go over speed bumps, and doesn't really matter what temperature. The way I look at it is that it's normal on these cars. I'm not the only one who has it. It used to bother me when it was brand new, but now it doesn't.
Same with my vibration issues. It's better now that the dealer balanced my front 2 wheels, and increasing psi to 38 seem to help too. So I live with it.
I think Mazda quality is decent, but I don't think it's up to Honda or Toyota, but we're also paying alot less than for a Honda or Toyota. So I accept these very minor deficiencies.

Got it fixed and cant believe what it was

Every time we brought it in they claimed they could not replicate the noise.

I had to take time off of work and take the service manager down one real bad road and he heard it on every bump.

They took the whole thing apart and greased this and that, but the noise was still there.

Guess what they finally found......Loose spare tire and tools.

Every time we brought it in they claimed they could not replicate the noise.

I had to take time off of work and take the service manager down one real bad road and he heard it on every bump.

They took the whole thing apart and greased this and that, but the noise was still there.

Guess what they finally found......Loose spare tire and tools.

hahahaha. One of my cars has done this to me before. When I figured it out I was like, "doh!!!"

Back