Has Anyone Had Their Fuel Pump/Cover Leak?

I agree RABID. I have some great guys at work that had some time and finished sandblasting my ring and painted it with some industrial strength enamel. That and the stainless bolts should hold the rust at bay for the few more years this car will last.

This thread is ASESOME!! I am having the same problem. I thought I would have to change the whole fule tank. Thank you MTNBIKER26~ many many thanks

I finally did the job today and it worked out great! Got all my parts at onlinemadzaparts (or whatever the site is called...) and they were very helpful. It was corroded pretty bad so I soaked the whole top a couple days before with a penetrating fluid, then fluid film and took a screw driver and a few wacks with the hammer. I made sure to COAT everything in fluid film once all back together. I appreciate all the help folks!

Maybe this is my problem! Tank is leaking for a while now, checked for leaks under and on the sides but no holes visible. Gas is coming from the top of the tank. Smells inside the car too!

I'll definitly check the top where the pump sits!

after reading about everyones problems with this im almost afraid to flip my seat up and see what mine looks like... but i will; im at least gonna wait till summer though, working in -25 sucks, especially without a heated garage

after reading about everyones problems with this im almost afraid to flip my seat up and see what mine looks like... but i will; im at least gonna wait till summer though, working in -25 sucks, especially without a heated garage

^Ditto.

I had my seats folded down the other day so I thought I'd take a look, there's actually a metal cover before you even get to that rusty cover. I'm too afraid to remove it :p

mine looked like a disaster when i first opened up that hatch.

But it had to be done, I was having the gas smell, but instead I found a hole in the tank itself rather than the fuel sending unit assembly so I had to change the whole tank, though i suspect it was leaking from around the old gasket as well. The new tank came with a gasket and thankfully a new set of those pitiful Phillips screws. 200$ CAD for the new tank. Good deal :D

a good wire brush and it looks like new.. sorta :D

mine looked like a disaster when i first opened up that hatch.

But it had to be done, I was having the gas smell, but instead I found a hole in the tank itself rather than the fuel sending unit assembly so I had to change the whole tank, though i suspect it was leaking from around the old gasket as well. The new tank came with a gasket and thankfully a new set of those pitiful Phillips screws. 200$ CAD for the new tank. Good deal :D

a good wire brush and it looks like new.. sorta :D

So it is a metal tank? The underside of mine doesn't look all that rusty so I assumed it couldn't be a metal tank :p

ya, but maybe your are looking at the protector that sits underneath it. which Is metal but mine had some kind of plastic coating applied to it? but still was rusty as hell.

Last edited:
Yeah, the tank is metal and there is a shield below it. The shield may be aluminum...which doesn't oxidize like steel does.

Yeah, the tank is metal and there is a shield below it. The shield may be aluminum...which doesn't oxidize like steel does.

I beg to differ, my shield thing rusted off a few weeks ago (it was dragging on the ground). I'm not kidding when I say this, there was more rust than there was metal left on it.

Well then, it sure sounds like steel. I don't remember mine being that bad but (fortunately) it's been two years since I've seen it.

Bringing it back....This could be my problem but I don't have the smell inside the car, only outside. Any suggestions? I'll have to take a look under the seat in the morning.

Definitely my problem. This thread makes it look and sound pretty straight forward and easy. But is this something I could get done in a day?

The hard part is getting the screws out. If they come out with no issues you can get it done in two hours. If you strip or snap a screw you have a big problem. It's a gas tank so drilling/grinding is going to end badly. You might want to clean up the screw heads, remove loose dirt/corrosion with a wire brush and get some PB Blaster on there a few days in advance. The fuel line connectors are a pain as well. I spent 30 minutes with a pair of small flat head screwdrivers to get them separated. The proper tool is worth whatever they charge.

Yea I figured that would be the hardest part. I'm definitely getting PB and some brake clean to clean it up before I open anything up. I believe my cousin has the quick disconnect kit so I should be ok on that. This is what mine looks like, the car is originally from IL so it's bad. You can see the screws and still surprisingly see the majority of the philips grooves.
photodb.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
This is the first time I've run across this thread. I didn't know the problem existed, but paranoid me, I'll be sniffing around to check it. I think all of the cars with the rust problem are from snow country. stkmp5, do I remember right, you said yours came from Illinois or somewhere like that? Mine will probably look like new, but I won't stop thinking about it until I check.

This is the first time I've run across this thread. I didn't know the problem existed, but paranoid me, I'll be sniffing around to check it. I think all of the cars with the rust problem are from snow country. stkmp5, do I remember right, you said yours came from Illinois or somewhere like that? Mine will probably look like new, but I won't stop thinking about it until I check.

Correct. I bought it in Illinois in 2007 and didn't have any sort of smell until about a month and a half ago. I hope for your sake it's all good under there.

Ordered Screws from mcmaster, high pressure housing from rockauto, and going right now to order the rest from the dealer. Need to get this done ASAP. As much as I like the smell of gas, I'm getting extremely tired of it. This thread is and HUGE help.

Mine looks CRAZY ASS rusted. I'm not sure if it's possible to get those screws to move. I can't even freakin see the full size screw heads on half of them.

6244483373_7a33a92e63_z.jpg

6245004798_6f37a7555d_z.jpg

Back