After 14500 miles and 11 months of ownership it finally happened...

Good Luck on your repairs.

I have an 06 Speed6 which started smoking at 25k. I didnt have very good oil change records since I did them myself. Just a few reciepts from Autozone and my credit card statement showing I made the purchase. I never thought something like this would happen, I figured if I kept it bone stock it would run great. My mistake.

I argued for months with the dealer to get my car fixed. I finally called Mazda USA and lit a fire under thier butts. 10 minutes after that phone call the dealer wanted my car to fix it.

Everything was done under warrenty and I didnt pay a dime. Now I have no more smoke (hoorrraaayyy). They completely replaced the turbo and sent it back to Mazda. Dealer had trouble getting the smoke as well. Sometimes for me it would be minor then it would billow out like an old clunker.

They were very adiment (spelling) about oil change reciepts! I also noticed that the recommended oil for the car on their service sheets was 5w-20... which is of course WRONG.

Keep on top of it. I argued that although my documents werent stellar, why not pull off my valve cover and look at my engine. I only use 5W-30 Mobil 1 super synthetic. You could eat off my cams if you wanted to.

On my way home between shifts I noticed puffs of smoke once again. I'm thoroughly pissed. Got home, let it idle, and could smell oil around the car. Checked the dipstick, no problem there. Dealer is getting a call tomorrow morning and I want the turbo replaced.

tunersteve-
Are you noticing any oil consumption? Does it smell like oil or worse?

I always smell smoke (never see any)- smells "heavy" like burning gear oil- the undercarriage is clean and dry. I dropped about 1/2 quart after 2500 miles. Mines an 06 w/ 35k.

tunersteve-
Are you noticing any oil consumption? Does it smell like oil or worse?

I always smell smoke (never see any)- smells "heavy" like burning gear oil- the undercarriage is clean and dry. I dropped about 1/2 quart after 2500 miles. Mines an 06 w/ 35k.

I will smell oil, but not see any change in the dipstick (check it every 2 weeks) and see smoke at idle and under moderate acceleration, but not all the time. I'd like to see if theres any shaft play or something else wrong with the turbo at the dealer.

No, I'm debating about taking it off when I take it back into the dealer to have it looked at.

lmao wow these k04's blow the big one because i have the same problem ive got 13k miles and put my dp and full 3" exhaust and no faster was it in did i find i was smoking like that and smelling oil it sucks but the only fix is a better turbo and if u dnt want problems or worries just go spend the money on a garret gt28 series turbos there better then the crappy borg and warrner k04 we have stock but wont damage internals like th 30 series

You may want to fix your keyboard. Seems your "." key, "shift" key and "," key do not work.....;)

Yap! Same problem here! I've got the smoking issue at about 30k,brought it to the dealer and they fixed and replaced the turbo seal under warranty, did'nt pay a dime.
I bought extended warranty up to 75k, so if it happens again, i'm up for a new seal again or new turbo.

It's nice to hear that Mazda is replacing the turbos on these issues. I experienced the issue only once, a couple of months ago, and as far as I noticed, never happened again. I guess I'll have to wait for my turbo to fail while I still have that extended warranty before I start modding it too much. I wanted so much to put a Corksport exhaust on it, but from my past experience, the dealers will blame it on the mods, for sure.

Well, it's known that Mazda has come out with revisions on the turbo already. From two sources of mine, the 'C' revision has an updated turbo seal design that should allow reduced back pressure and not blow oil past the seals. I've found it in use as far back as Sept. 08, but it might have been installed prior to that.

I'm going to try and post more info as I get it, stay tuned.

Well, it's known that Mazda has come out with revisions on the turbo already. From two sources of mine, the 'C' revision has an updated turbo seal design that should allow reduced back pressure and not blow oil past the seals. I've found it in use as far back as Sept. 08, but it might have been installed prior to that.

I'm going to try and post more info as I get it, stay tuned.

good info.

Yea mazda replaced my turbo at about 18k miles, but when i went to put my DP and Manifold on there were ALOT of loose nuts and bolts. Like barely fingertight. You could see on the stock manifold where the exhaust was creeping to the one corner where it connects to the turbo! Kinda pissed me off. And now that my block is holy i'm nervous about them putting in an engine, that is IF they do it.

Yea mazda replaced my turbo at about 18k miles, but when i went to put my DP and Manifold on there were ALOT of loose nuts and bolts. Like barely fingertight. You could see on the stock manifold where the exhaust was creeping to the one corner where it connects to the turbo! Kinda pissed me off. And now that my block is holy i'm nervous about them putting in an engine, that is IF they do it.

Go post your info in the other thread.

Back