After 14500 miles and 11 months of ownership it finally happened...

Sat/Sun when your home sit in car n let it idle for bout 30 min. If no smoke then your golden. If it smokes then to the dealer you go...
As for tires I have a winter set of wheels/tires so my summers are only on for 8months a yr so they should last me thru next summer...

Ok, I'll do that and see. I may be jumping the gun.

My stock Potenzas are 16,000 miles old and pretty bald. I'm picking up the PZero M&S all-seasons for now, then I'll pick up some new rims in the spring with tires and run two dedicated sets.

i'm gonna have to test mine one of these days...

oh, and i always do my own oil changes, but i think that i can actually argue a point. the dealer did the first oil change, and they put in 5w20, as it shows on the service record. i can pull the whole "well you did it wrong, so why would I back to you" thing.

I sat in my car for 25 minutes after driving it 12 miles and the engine at normal operating temp. A/C on, reading a book while waiting for my tire guy to get back. No smoke. My only concern is the smell of burning oil when sitting at a light, but I've checked my dipstick frequently this week since the first sight of smoke and found no change (or none visible). I'm still thinking of doing this again, but I'm starting to think I may have had moisture in the tailpipe or something to that effect.

Update:

Last night I drove, then idled for about 45 minutes, and noticed when I pulled away that there was smoke in each of the gears. When I got home I let it idle again, no smoke, but the smell of oil through the exhaust. I'm not taking a chance anymore, and I'm heading to the dealer Monday.

The smoke issue sounds like my spped6 i put in 0W-50 oil in my car and i ran 100 octain and OMFG white white smoke like no other , i went back to 93 and it was fine , can i not run 100 oct ? Not to mention , im starting to smell moldy egg smell out of my pipes hehe

stinky egg smell is when your cats are burning an excessivley rich mixture, like from running 100 octane and not being tuned for it. (100 has a higher resistance to burn/detonation, so you have lots of unburnt fuel)

Back to stock for me today, tried to take pics of the smoking, but haven't uploaded them yet. I'll post them later hopefully. After 10 minutes doing the 'M-tip' test, it started smoking.

Can anyone confirm this...doesn't Mazda have a revised part # to fix this problem? I believe I heard that somewhere.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow at 7:30 am to address this and a few other issues, I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

UPDATE:

I got a call from the dealer a little bit ago, and after attempting to do the test 3 times, they have been unable to get the car to smoke. They are going to try it again, and if they can't get it, they'll leave it as is. I still need to post the video of the smoking, and that might be my only way to get it worked on.

I finally noticed mine smoking also after sitting for like 10 min . But mine goes away almost immediately after I start driving. I'm just wondering if a little smoke necessarily means turbo seal ? It seems like people who smoke with the bad seals smoke all the time when hot ? BTW I've only noticed mine smoke twice so far over a 2 week period

Why are test pipes causing so many smoking problems? Its just a tube that replaces a bent tube. Is it because you lose 1 cat that absorbs all that smoke so you cant see it with stock exhaust? I just installed my test pipe a few weeks ago and I dont want any smoke :(

I finally noticed mine smoking also after sitting for like 10 min . But mine goes away almost immediately after I start driving. I'm just wondering if a little smoke necessarily means turbo seal ? It seems like people who smoke with the bad seals smoke all the time when hot ? BTW I've only noticed mine smoke twice so far over a 2 week period

You have the exact same scenario I have. If I drive it while its smoking, it goes away, but if you let it sit, it's just faint enough to see. Here is all the info I can try and provide, it's not much, but its what I've got:

(for some reason it won't let me upload the movie)

Attachments

• P9280166.JPG
    P9280166.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
  • P9280167.JPG
    P9280167.JPG
    541.8 KB · Views: 183
Dealer called today, couldn't get it to smoke. Asked me about my oil changes, told them I was using 5w-40, they said that shouldn't be a problem, but to try 5w-30 and see if it goes away.

lmao wow these k04's blow the big one because i have the same problem ive got 13k miles and put my dp and full 3" exhaust and no faster was it in did i find i was smoking like that and smelling oil it sucks but the only fix is a better turbo and if u dnt want problems or worries just go spend the money on a garret gt28 series turbos there better then the crappy borg and warrner k04 we have stock but wont damage internals like th 30 series

Mine still smells of oil from time to time and barely puffs smoke, but they won't do anything about it...

lmao wow these k04's blow the big one because i have the same problem ive got 13k miles and put my dp and full 3" exhaust and no faster was it in did i find i was smoking like that and smelling oil it sucks but the only fix is a better turbo and if u dnt want problems or worries just go spend the money on a garret gt28 series turbos there better then the crappy borg and warrner k04 we have stock but wont damage internals like th 30 series

the only fix is not a bigger turbo. try a heavier weight oil. 5w40 FTW.

Back