Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After 14500 miles and 11 months of ownership it finally happened...

2011 Kona Blue Ford Edge Sport

After 14500 miles and 11 months of ownership it finally happened...

Got my car Sept 23, 2007 and have put approx 14500 trouble free miles on it in 11 months. Minor mods (TXS BOV and a SU test pipe) and loving it.Factory oil changes every 5k miles as recommended and while I drive it spiritedly I dont abuse the car...
    Today I went to lunch and got back to work with 25min left. Didnt want to go back to work early so I stayed in my car listening to Howard Stern... Weather today was a bit chilly temp in the 70s and rainy...
    After about 15min of idling I noticed a huge cluod of smoke from the back of my car. I got out n looked and sure enough it was coming out of my cars tailpipes....Sigh... Guess I will reinstall my stock cat and BOV tomorrow and recheck to see if it still occures....:'( :mad:
    Last edited by VRMS6; 09-16-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Registered Member

2007 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

This sounds like a tsb I had read about 3 weeks ago about black smoke during prolonged idle. I'll try to track it down

its a recognized turbo seal issue.. you should have no problem getting it covered under warranty...
    make sure you head to the dealership with your oil receipts...
    Titanium Grey Mazdaspeed6
    Competition Yellow Mica R1 . Competition Yellow Mica R1
    Silverstone Metallic Base . Brilliant Black R1 . Silverstone Metallic Touring .
    Blaze Red and Brilliant Black Series5 TurboII . 3rotor . Glacier Silver Metallic 6s

Donated: $10

2011 Mustang GT

How long have you ran with the test pipe on? I'm worried mine might do the same, since my mods are similar to yours and I'm at about the same mileage.
    Steve
    2011 Mustang GT Premium
    430 rwhp / 409 rwtq

Have a question - PM me

I've had the SU test pipe for about 2 months now. No issues till just last week.
    I have a copy of the M-tip that I will bring with me to the dealer.

2011 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by VRMS6 View Post
    I've had the SU test pipe for about 2 months now. No issues till just last week.
    I have a copy of the M-tip that I will bring with me to the dealer.
    Ok, I'll keep an eye out on mine when I idle for long periods. Can you post that M-tip up here so I can get a copy?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

SMOKING FROM EXHAUST HOT ENGINE AT EXTENDED IDLE

Applicable Models

Model
    Starting S/N
    Ending S/N
    Model Spec

MAZDA3 2007-2008
    ZZZZZZ

CX7 2007-2008
    ZZZZZZ

MAZDA6 2006-2007
    ZZZZZZ

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms

ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
    ENGINE / EMISSIONS / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
    ENGINE / EMISSIONS / BLACK SMOKE

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information

Symptom and Conditions

Vehicles equipped with DISI engines may experience a hot engine extended idle smoking out of the exhaust condition. This condition may also occur while driving in traffic at very slow speeds.

Repair Procedure

To correctly identify this concern have the tech drive the vehicle to insure it is fully warmed up a road test of 5 miles should be adequate.
    Once the engine is fully warmed up allow it to idle for an extended period, this could take up to 30 minutes to produce any type of smoke from the exhaust. Once the smoking has started shut down the engine and perform a compression test and a cylinder leak down test. If both tests results are ok, have the tech remove the precat from the turbo outlet and inspect the exhaust impeller in the turbo for any signs of oil on or around the impeller. The removing of the cat should only be done with a cold engine. Quiz the tech as to the oil change history (time & mileage) what weight oil is being used during vehicle services on vehicles with DISI engines. If there is any sign of oil in the turbo, have the tech replace the turbo, and recheck using the same procedure to confirm the concern is gone.

Standard compression is 185PSI @ 250 RPM
    Leak down less than 10%
    DISI Engines require 5W30 weight oil.

2016 Madza CX9 Signature

Got mine replace after 18K. Supposedly their are turbo replacements with improved seals because of this issue.

2011 Mustang GT

From what I have been told mine is one of the last MS6's to be built, so most of the recalls/TSBs don't include my VIN. I'm hoping that this will keep me from having to worry about an excessively smoky exhaust.

VR - is yours an '06 or '07?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

mine is a 07 Speed6 purchased Sept 23, 2007 with 8 miles on the clock.

The new turbos aren't any better or different than the original ones. I had a new one installed about 6k miles ago and started seeing smoke within the first 3k miles driven. I really think the only way to fix this issue is to either always run a stock exhaust or buy a better turbo (which equals no warranty).

1 question...why would he need receipts for oil changes?
    2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT - Liquid Platinum

2011 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo1441 View Post
    The new turbos aren't any better or different than the original ones. I had a new one installed about 6k miles ago and started seeing smoke within the first 3k miles driven. I really think the only way to fix this issue is to either always run a stock exhaust or buy a better turbo (which equals no warranty).

1 question...why would he need receipts for oil changes?
    The dealer may try to argue that it hasn't been properly maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by tunersteve View Post
    The dealer may try to argue that it hasn't been properly maintained.
    Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Give that man a cigar....
    Proof of proper maintenance is required. If oil not changesd at proper intervals/proper viscosity it may cause sludge buildup/undue wear on the turbo seals as the oil breaks down and doesnt do its job protecting the engine/seals...
    Luckily ALL my LOFs are done at the dealer with me keeping my reciepts in a maintenance binder for just this kind of issue....

2011 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by VRMS6 View Post
    Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Give that man a cigar....
    Proof of proper maintenance is required. If oil not changesd at proper intervals/proper viscosity it may cause sludge buildup/undue wear on the turbo seals as the oil breaks down and doesnt do its job protecting the engine/seals...
    Luckily ALL my LOFs are done at the dealer with me keeping my reciepts in a maintenance binder for just this kind of issue....
    This is what concerns me. I do all my own oil changes and keep a record (excel spreadsheet) if they would honor that. Nowhere does it state how it has to be kept, but it must be kept. Also, the supplier keeps records of when I order it from him. I'm using Total Excellium NF 5w-40 btw. I checked mine yesterday during a long idle and didn't see any signs of smoke.

Registered Member

2007 MS6

my dad noticed my car smoking the other day sitting idle for a bout 10-15min, a nice big cloud of smoke, almost like i just seafoamed my car. all i have is a txs test pipe and cpe single catback, only mods. I have my oil changed every 3-5k with receipts. i have about 26k on the clock.
    2007 MS6 w/ Cheez
    // COBB AP // COBB SRI // COBB TIP // ETS 3.25 TMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // BC Racing BR Coilovers // DSS 500hp Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber // Prosport Elec Boost Gauge // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast