After 14500 miles and 11 months of ownership it finally happened...

VRMS6

:
2011 Kona Blue Ford Edge Sport
Got my car Sept 23, 2007 and have put approx 14500 trouble free miles on it in 11 months. Minor mods (TXS BOV and a SU test pipe) and loving it.Factory oil changes every 5k miles as recommended and while I drive it spiritedly I dont abuse the car...
Today I went to lunch and got back to work with 25min left. Didnt want to go back to work early so I stayed in my car listening to Howard Stern... Weather today was a bit chilly temp in the 70s and rainy...
After about 15min of idling I noticed a huge cluod of smoke from the back of my car. I got out n looked and sure enough it was coming out of my cars tailpipes....Sigh... Guess I will reinstall my stock cat and BOV tomorrow and recheck to see if it still occures....(pissed)(pissed):'((bang)(sad1)(sad2) :mad:

Last edited:
This sounds like a tsb I had read about 3 weeks ago about black smoke during prolonged idle. I'll try to track it down

its a recognized turbo seal issue.. you should have no problem getting it covered under warranty...
make sure you head to the dealership with your oil receipts...

How long have you ran with the test pipe on? I'm worried mine might do the same, since my mods are similar to yours and I'm at about the same mileage.

I've had the SU test pipe for about 2 months now. No issues till just last week.
I have a copy of the M-tip that I will bring with me to the dealer.

I've had the SU test pipe for about 2 months now. No issues till just last week.
I have a copy of the M-tip that I will bring with me to the dealer.

Ok, I'll keep an eye out on mine when I idle for long periods. Can you post that M-tip up here so I can get a copy?

SMOKING FROM EXHAUST HOT ENGINE AT EXTENDED IDLE

Applicable Models

Model
Starting S/N
Ending S/N
Model Spec

MAZDA3 2007-2008
ZZZZZZ

CX7 2007-2008
ZZZZZZ

MAZDA6 2006-2007
ZZZZZZ

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms

ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
ENGINE / EMISSIONS / BLACK SMOKE

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information

Symptom and Conditions

Vehicles equipped with DISI engines may experience a hot engine extended idle smoking out of the exhaust condition. This condition may also occur while driving in traffic at very slow speeds.

Repair Procedure

To correctly identify this concern have the tech drive the vehicle to insure it is fully warmed up a road test of 5 miles should be adequate.
Once the engine is fully warmed up allow it to idle for an extended period, this could take up to 30 minutes to produce any type of smoke from the exhaust. Once the smoking has started shut down the engine and perform a compression test and a cylinder leak down test. If both tests results are ok, have the tech remove the precat from the turbo outlet and inspect the exhaust impeller in the turbo for any signs of oil on or around the impeller. The removing of the cat should only be done with a cold engine. Quiz the tech as to the oil change history (time & mileage) what weight oil is being used during vehicle services on vehicles with DISI engines. If there is any sign of oil in the turbo, have the tech replace the turbo, and recheck using the same procedure to confirm the concern is gone.

Standard compression is 185PSI @ 250 RPM
Leak down less than 10%
DISI Engines require 5W30 weight oil.

Got mine replace after 18K. Supposedly their are turbo replacements with improved seals because of this issue.

From what I have been told mine is one of the last MS6's to be built, so most of the recalls/TSBs don't include my VIN. I'm hoping that this will keep me from having to worry about an excessively smoky exhaust.

VR - is yours an '06 or '07?

mine is a 07 Speed6 purchased Sept 23, 2007 with 8 miles on the clock.

The new turbos aren't any better or different than the original ones. I had a new one installed about 6k miles ago and started seeing smoke within the first 3k miles driven. I really think the only way to fix this issue is to either always run a stock exhaust or buy a better turbo (which equals no warranty).

1 question...why would he need receipts for oil changes?

The new turbos aren't any better or different than the original ones. I had a new one installed about 6k miles ago and started seeing smoke within the first 3k miles driven. I really think the only way to fix this issue is to either always run a stock exhaust or buy a better turbo (which equals no warranty).

1 question...why would he need receipts for oil changes?

The dealer may try to argue that it hasn't been properly maintained.

The dealer may try to argue that it hasn't been properly maintained.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Give that man a cigar....
Proof of proper maintenance is required. If oil not changesd at proper intervals/proper viscosity it may cause sludge buildup/undue wear on the turbo seals as the oil breaks down and doesnt do its job protecting the engine/seals...
Luckily ALL my LOFs are done at the dealer with me keeping my reciepts in a maintenance binder for just this kind of issue....

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Give that man a cigar....
Proof of proper maintenance is required. If oil not changesd at proper intervals/proper viscosity it may cause sludge buildup/undue wear on the turbo seals as the oil breaks down and doesnt do its job protecting the engine/seals...
Luckily ALL my LOFs are done at the dealer with me keeping my reciepts in a maintenance binder for just this kind of issue....

This is what concerns me. I do all my own oil changes and keep a record (excel spreadsheet) if they would honor that. Nowhere does it state how it has to be kept, but it must be kept. Also, the supplier keeps records of when I order it from him. I'm using Total Excellium NF 5w-40 btw. I checked mine yesterday during a long idle and didn't see any signs of smoke.

my dad noticed my car smoking the other day sitting idle for a bout 10-15min, a nice big cloud of smoke, almost like i just seafoamed my car. all i have is a txs test pipe and cpe single catback, only mods. I have my oil changed every 3-5k with receipts. i have about 26k on the clock.

How bad was your smoke VR? I was at Sonic in the drive-thru and saw a white cloud forming...pulled over and noticed it was smoking a decent amount. Imagine what exhaust looks like on a cold morning when you goose it. I think I'm just gonna play it safe and take it in.

looked like a old chrysler minivan with worn rings. smoke was very noticeable. Installed the stock cat and havent had time to let the car idle n recheck....
On a positive note I ordered the COBB Accessport today :) ....

looked like a old chrysler minivan with worn rings. smoke was very noticeable. Installed the stock cat and havent had time to let the car idle n recheck....
On a positive note I ordered the COBB Accessport today :) ....

First off, I'm jealous for you ordering the AP, but I need tires more than I need more power.

Second, I'd say mine wasn't quite that bad, and mine only did it after a short drive and a little idle time. I drove to school on the highway and left it idle for 5 minutes and it didn't smoke. Any suggestions?

Sat/Sun when your home sit in car n let it idle for bout 30 min. If no smoke then your golden. If it smokes then to the dealer you go...
As for tires I have a winter set of wheels/tires so my summers are only on for 8months a yr so they should last me thru next summer...

Back