What's YOUR Cost of Ownership?

On the heels of the Miles to Mods Ratio topic, I though it would be really interesting to have people post on their actual cost of ownership and break that down per mile or day.

What I'm talking about in actual cost of ownership is:
  • Purchase Price or Monthly Payment
  • Insurance Costs
  • Fuel
  • Modifications
  • Regular Maintenance (i.e., Fluids, Tires, Washing/Detailing, Dealer or Self-Billed Labor)
  • Repairs
  • Tickets

Of course, I doubt most of us save every receipt, so guestimations on things like fuel cost will do. I'm rounding to the nearest dollar.
Here's my breakdown of what I have spent so far owning my Mazdaspeed3:
  • Down/Monthly Payments: $5156
  • Insurance Costs: $805
  • Fuel: $1835
  • Modifications: $3212
  • Maintenance: $895
  • Repairs: $0
  • Tickets: $710

Total: $12613

Miles Driven: 11,237
Cost of Ownership per Mile: $1.12

Days Owned: 227
Cost of Ownership per Day: $55.56
Cost of Ownership per Month: $1666.80

Last edited:
Of course, I doubt most of us save every gas receipt, so guestimations on fuel cost will do.

Most maybe not but im insane enough to keep all of them and I log them in a spreadsheet. I'm a numbers guy. I've spent $750 on gas in 5 months of ownership. I'd have to look into the rest of my spendings but the mods category is whats really racking up the costs for me.

Monthly payment = $285
Insurance per month = $100
Gas (I drive about 500 miles a week) = $250
Oil changes every 2.5 months = $15 (per month)

So I guess I'm looking at about $650 a month.

A car is a huge expense.

Monthly payment = $285
Insurance per month = $100
Gas (I drive about 500 miles a week) = $250
Oil changes every 2.5 months = $15 (per month)

So I guess I'm looking at about $650 a month.

A car is a huge expense.

Wow, your monthly payment is really low! You must have put about 10k down or something huh. Oh and your insurance is very low as well, I would love to pay what you pay. If you think $650 a month is a "huge" expensive then you would probably have a heart attack if you knew what my self and others are paying!

Car: $475.00
Insurance: $171.00
Gas: $300.00
MISC: $25.00
Total: $971.00

* I make pretty decent money so it's not killing me or anything.

Last edited:
Monthly payment: $282
Monthly insurance premium: $70
Monthly gas: $50
------------------------
Total: $402/month

payment:$299
Insurance:$100
Gas:$100-150
total:$499-549
Hopefully my insurance goes down cause I turned 25 and lost a point off my record.

Payment: paid in full
Insurance: please to god don't even ask
Gas: $45-50/tank (and falling rapidly *knock on wood*)...I don't drive too much so maybe $150-200/month if that
Maintenance: $0 Mine just turned 2 months old on 8/23.

Most of you guys monthly car payments are like for a 10-15k car. I wish I had 10k to put down at my time of purchase :(

Most of you guys monthly car payments are like for a 10-15k car. I wish I had 10k to put down at my time of purchase :(

That or they are ashamed to say what their real car payment is. Everybody wants to portray themselves as a baller. Thats why these type of threads are full of fail.

Payment $421
Insurance $110
Gas $120 monthly for crappy CA 91 octane
Mods $175

Last edited:
That or they are ashamed to say what their real car payment is. Everybody wants to portray themselves as a baller. Thats why these type of threads are full of fail.

Or, in my case, I sold my previous car, which had no lien, for $8,000, then threw another $2,000 on top of that to get my lien principle to $15,000. 60 months @ 4.99% = $282/month. I don't consider myself "ballin'" for making a somewhat wise financial move.

Monthly Payment = $0 (bought outright - sold my '02 WRX for $14,500 and used the rest from savings to purchase my '08 MS3 w/ 9K miles on it)
Insurance = $68/month
Gas = $100 - $125 a week
Mods = $0 (Plan to keep it as stock as possible - will order some Mazda accesories soon)

Or, in my case, I sold my previous car, which had no lien, for $8,000, then threw another $2,000 on top of that to get my lien principle to $15,000. 60 months @ 4.99% = $282/month. I don't consider myself "ballin'" for making a somewhat wise financial move.

I wouldnt call purchasing any new car that depreciates a "wise financial move" myself included, but you went about the situation in a better way than most. Treat yourself to a cookie.(thumb)

Last edited:
Well, I did say "somewhat", so it's given within the context of buying a car. But yes, in general buying a depreciating asset is not a good financial move. :)

Now Hank3, he's just bragging. ;)

Well, I did say "somewhat", so it's given within the context of buying a car. But yes, in general buying a depreciating asset is not a good financial move. :)

Now Hank3, he's just bragging. ;)

Damn Hank3 and his no car payment. (gun) Why wasnt I born rich.

Back