2K RPM at startup....?

PCspeed3

:
Pearl White Speed 3
Can anyone tell me why on some days my car starts up and idles normal then on others I start it up and it holds at 2K RPM and then slowly fades down to normal idle RPM? My guess was just to warm up the motor more before driving. Any ideas?

Can anyone tell me why on some days my car starts up and idles normal then on others I start it up and it holds at 2K RPM and then slowly fades down to normal idle RPM? My guess was just to warm up the motor more before driving. Any ideas?
That's exactly it, when you start the car it tries to warm itself up before you put it in gear so you get peak performance faster and the car runs smoother sooner.
My dad's 1999 Vovlo V70 does it even though it's from the world's worst batch of Volvos'
Mom's 2005 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 liter V8 does it even though it starts at around 1500-2000 RPM but what do you expect from a 5.4 liter monster engine with 300Hp and 365 lb-ft of TQ.
Sister's Ford Fusion does it (although that car runs terrible and the engine sounds like a beehive)
It's mainly a Ford thing, all Ford's cars do it. Yes, we are a very Ford oriented household...that's why I drive a Mazda. (silly)

Last edited:
All four of our cars do that to some degree. More so when it is actually cold outside.

Yet another 'mine does it too.' My car stays in the garage when I am home, and day time temps have been in the low/mid-80s lately here. In the morning, when I crank it up to head to work, it jumps right to 2k and works it way down after a while.

I wonder if its an emissions thing -- the higher revs allows for cleaner burning and/or faster cat warm up? Eh... I'm no expert that's for sure.

Last edited:
I just noticed mine did this for the first time today. I don't even think I put my foot on the gas in reverse as it felt like she was going to take off backwards :D

Seems logical it's cat warm-up. Mine didn't do it 'til there were about 1,500 miles on the clock.

Back