Official 2011 Mazda5 Thread

The genius of the i-Stop is that it does not use the starter to restart the engine. Apparently it parks a piston at the top of the cylinder ready for detonation. A restart simply requires a spark.

Oh wow. That should be interesting. And yes, it is quite ingenious if it works seamlessly.

i-Stop, if it really works, is going to do wonders for stop and go traffic. I've guesstimated that idling in traffic wastes about a litre or a quart of fuel per 10 minutes. If your commute involves being stopped in traffic for 10 minutes a day, you can save over $180 a year in fuel costs with the i-Stop system. You won't get hybrid mileages but the real world city consumption should go down a little bit.

Definitely like the current 5 better

As this is my first post here I wanted to Hi to everyone, as a potential buyer for a new 5 I wanted to chime in with what I thought about the next version. I've been narrowing down vehicles for a purchase (planned next year) and have been pulled in by the current 5 (never had a Mazda or minivan before). I love what it can do as well as how it looks (the sleekness appeals to me as I drive a current version Civic which I consider a sleek sedan design, but want more space).

All that said, I definitely think the current 5 looks much better than the pics up for the 2011/12 - the current 5 does so well at making this a sleek looking micro-van, so far from a miniature Odyssey (which I don't particularly want).

The nose on the new 2011/12 is not as sleek (could live with it), the sculpted waves in the side door panels does not say sleek sporty micro-van anymore, more of a "this'll make it pretty" message (thank goodness they didn't stamp flowers or the sun and clouds in there) and then there is what they did to the rear end. The current model's rear end (basically the layout of the lights) make it look like nothing else and I love it. The new version looks like the back of a minivan now (just reminds me of an Odyssey), in fact the whole thing looks alot more like a small minivan now.

Maybe that's what Mazda is targeting with the new look - potential minivan drivers who are expecting something that looks like a minivan, more like everything else (bigger market than sporty looking micro-van?).

I'm glad the new one won't roll out in the US until 2011, so (hopefully) I have a chance to try and get the finances together and go for a 2010 this fall. Maybe they'll get the 2011/12 version to look a little sleeker by the time it rolls out in the US (or it'll grow on me), but from what I've seen I don't think I could hold my nose and go for the new design (I'd be off to other vehicles that are practical and look better to me). Just my $0.02.

Love this forum BTW...

Last edited:
I like the new 5 but to each their own I guess...

Dublin_Gospel_Choir_0-medium.jpg

Spring 2011 sees a 2011 Mazda 5 with a 2.5 L and seven passengers according to the latest issue of C&D

Motor Trend's annual SUV/Van buyer guide has some speculated specs for the Mazda 5 and it does not look good to me (headshake. Cost more, looks ugly, no MPG improvement, and NO 7th seat, and from pics that I've seen for Japan cars -does not have center vent... (mad)

Only saving grace is a bit more power and 6 speed but this alone is not enough to motiviate me to buy AT ALL...

Mazda5 (2012)

BASE PRICE RANGE: $19,500-$24,000*
BODY TYPE: Minivan

WHAT'S NEW: Mazda brings latest-gen small minivan to the U.S. for 2012. Seating six, the Mazda5 will remain a smaller alternative to the larger minivans, but with bolder styling. Hard-to-miss character lines improve aerodynamics. Second-row seats can now be converted into storage space. A 5A and the 2.5L from the Mazda3 could be main powertrain combo.

DRIVER'S CHOICE: Considering a Mazda5 means driving a smaller, more easily maneuverable people-mover.

SUM UP: Bold, small, and on the margins. ***1/2

Mazda5 (2012)
Base Engine 2.5L/167-hp DOHC I-4*
Optional Engine None
Drivetrain Front engine, FWD, 6M/5A
0-60 MPH 8.5 sec*
Seats/Foldway 6/2nd, 3rd row
EPA city/hwy fuel econ 22/28-29 mpg*
Basic warranty 3 yrs/36,000 miles
Safety ABS: S; Stab: S; Trac: S; Airbags: 6

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/...buyers_guide_part_3/mazda5.html#ixzz10pvpF0xU

Since we are getting close to the release of the new Mazda 5, I have a question: Does it, or does it not, have i-stop?

Mazda has put up a new website for us Canucks, (http://www.2012mazda5.ca) but there is no mention anywhere of the istop feature.

I am not sure if it is worth the upgrade for anything else.

Thanks!

pretty sure they arent bringing i-stop here at the moment. the way epa tests, it will not reflect in their mpg result, so they dont think it will help them out at all. however, for people like you, it would really help. i hear ford is coming out with their stop-start system on some models here soon.

Back