Official 2011 Mazda5 Thread

remarquian

:
2007 Mazda5 Sport AT
Or so sez Automotive News, via CNET:

"Mazda5: This mini-minivan was on the U.S. hit list until gasoline reached $4 a gallon. Now it's a star. Look for a redesign for the 2011 model year."​

To be honest that is one of the things I like from Mazda, they are a small car manufacturer so they cannot completely reshape models every 2-3 years or so, so if you buy a car you really like then it stays pretty much the same (yeah yeah some facelifts but that's it) for several years, just look at the Mazda3 (2004-2009) and the Mazda6 (2003-2008) and still beat competitors in many areas.

Very interesting read. Although some of those timeframes seem long off.

Mazda has sold less than 12,000 Mazda5's in the US for the first 6 months. Granted that is a big jump (percentage wise) from last year but it's still a very small number.

This car really is more popular in Asia/Europe, so look for the new redesigns over there first.

^^ That might not be necessarily the case. Yes, in 2004-2005 the 2nd gen Mazda5 (Premacy) arrived first to Europe and Asia (Japan, LOL), but the facelift arrived first to the US and Canada if I'm not mistaken.

^^ That might not be necessarily the case. Yes, in 2004-2005 the 2nd gen Mazda5 (Premacy) arrived first to Europe and Asia (Japan, LOL), but the facelift arrived first to the US and Canada if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, but I don't think people are really interested in just "facelift". But I guess technically, changing the "look" does count as a change... :)

I believe the Asian or European (or both) already have some different engine options not available here. Also they have power sliding doors as an option.

The part that caught my eye is that Mazda wants to reduce weight and has set a target to do so.

I'm slobbering over a Mazda2. Maybe it'll be in the US when my Protege bites the dust, which probably won't be for a while.

To be honest that is one of the things I like from Mazda, they are a small car manufacturer so they cannot completely reshape models every 2-3 years or so, so if you buy a car you really like then it stays pretty much the same (yeah yeah some facelifts but that's it) for several years, just look at the Mazda3 (2004-2009) and the Mazda6 (2003-2008) and still beat competitors in many areas.

One of the cool things Mazda has done is recent years is make little changes. take the ever-changing grille on the Mazda3 for example. The body essentially stayed the same, but the grill has a few different iterations. also, Mazda has been pretty good about changing wheel styles with the "face lifts".

Another thing that I find interesting is that the 5 is selling so well, but most that I see are at least mid-line touring models. There are Sports like mine out there, but people seem to want to pay for the slightly higher end models. I notice the same across the Mazda lineup. If you are selling models with more content, you don't have to sell in volume to make money.

On the flip side, Mazda has standardized so many components across trim levels then even the base models are pretty feature rich. Economies of scale dictate that all of the cross-component sharing means that prices go down even though the content level has gone up. It also meas that the most basic Mazdas all still have that awesome Independent suspension setup. In fact, my understanding is that Mazda basically doesn't have sport suspensions on the 3 5 and 6, just bigger wheels and/or brakes.

I think Mazda has a great strategy, especially for a smaller market share automaker. They don't really compete on the low end, but do price out well when you get the feature that people really want in a vehicle. And when there is enough demand for say larger wheels and leather wrapped steering wheel, but no desire for say a sunroof or 6 disc changer, viola, the Mazda 3 VE (value edition). The parts are already bought for higher trim levels and maybe there are some extras sitting around anyway, so the cost to manufacture isn't that much higher than a standard 3, so the price can stay about the same.

the other quirk that comes with parts sharing is the familiarity that shows up across all lines. I had to drive a 3 while the 5 was in the shop and had no trouble getting acquainted to it. Most of the components aren't just kind of the same, they were the exact same parts! I have also driven 3s, 6s and the 5, all with the 2.3L engine and it also has a similar character, though each model is distinct in performance. Now if they can just hurry up and the the Mazda2 4-door hatch over here in the 'States.... (don't even need a Mazdaspeed version)

One thing that we need to remember is that the Mazda5 in N. America was almost an afterthought. Some form of the Mazda5 (aka Premacy) has been around since 2000 (?) but was only introduced in US/Canada in 2006 to fill a gap left by the discontinued MPV. At the time, Mazda was wary how a smaller minivan (or larger wagon) might fare in the US/Canada market, whose tastes tend to be "bigger" than Europe/Asia. As a result they only made a limited number available and limited the options that were available.

Then gas prices exploded and with little or no advertisements, the Mazda5 has really gained in popularity. Although the actually sale numbers are still relatively low (still behind Mazda3, 6, CX-9 and CX-7), I think the Mazda5 is here to stay. They really don't have any competition right now in this mini-minivan segment.

Since the power sliding doors, back-up camera, different engines ALREADY exist for the Mazda5 in Europe and Asia, I'd say that that's probably what we'll see in the redesign ("update" would probably be more accurate) in maybe the 2010 model. Of course this is all just a "guess" so don't quote me on anything.

I hope the next model run includes a Mazdaspeed 5 and a TDI motor. Heated mirrors and backup mirror would be a bonus, a built in high capacity flash memory based stereo would rock too... especially if it was wireless n you can upload from your home computer.

I hope the next model run includes a Mazdaspeed 5 and a TDI motor. Heated mirrors and backup mirror would be a bonus, a built in high capacity flash memory based stereo would rock too... especially if it was wireless n you can upload from your home computer.

hmmm.. How about just an Ethernet port.. Honestly, I thin a USB 2.0 port is smarter for car systems. I have a dvd player with USB that can play movies/mp3s/etc over that USB port and it seems like a good way instead of going to the expense of adding in hard drive and whatnot.

I think heated mirrors would bee sweet and a nice integrated backup camera either in the nav screen, or just a small mirror-mounted one. Call me a real nut, but I'd love to see a 2-mode hybrid 5 come to the US. I know they are testing a hydrogen rotary hybrid 5 in japan, so I guess that could be cool... (MZ5.HRh). And if I can really dream, how about a 6spd DSG-type gearbox?

Canadian spec cars come with heated mirrors - they are nice!

Hear hear on the TDI. Check out any of the UK reviews and note that the 2.0 L high output TDI there is the hot setup - 44 mpg (36 mpg US), 265 lb-ft of torque, and a 6 speed! I've told my dealer to call me if Mazda decides to bring that engine here - I'd trade in an instant!

It sounds nice - it also sounds unrealistic. What I believe Mazda should do is offer two choices - the 2.5L inline 4 that they are putting in the Mazda6, as well as the rotary/hybrid combination that they are currently working on.

Or so sez Automotive News, via CNET:

"Mazda5: This mini-minivan was on the U.S. hit list until gasoline reached $4 a gallon. Now it's a star. Look for a redesign for the 2011 model year."​

I'm getting 40mpg (Canadian) if I keep it at 60mph, but that's after I installed the K&N CAI. I'm also getting ~ 5 additional hp at ~ 5000rpm. BONUS!!

hmmm.. How about just an Ethernet port.. Honestly, I thin a USB 2.0 port is smarter for car systems. I have a dvd player with USB that can play movies/mp3s/etc over that USB port and it seems like a good way instead of going to the expense of adding in hard drive and whatnot.

I think heated mirrors would bee sweet and a nice integrated backup camera either in the nav screen, or just a small mirror-mounted one. Call me a real nut, but I'd love to see a 2-mode hybrid 5 come to the US. I know they are testing a hydrogen rotary hybrid 5 in japan, so I guess that could be cool... (MZ5.HRh). And if I can really dream, how about a 6spd DSG-type gearbox?

Mine is a 2006 and it came with heated mirrors (maybe for the cold canadian climate...) As for the backup camera, after I installed my Pioneer AVIC D3, I added the camera for $30 - located inside the top part of the rear glass. Automatically switches to rear camera anytime I place it in reverse.

A little bit of warmer rumors:

Minivan buyers will be happy to know that a second-generation Mazda5 is also reportedly in the works, and may debut as soon as next year. Unidentified sources told Automotive News that the 2011 Mazda5 will adapt styling cues first seen on the Nagare concept car that debuted at the 2006 Los Angeles Auto Show.

Mazda5: A redesign of the compact minivan is planned for the 2011 model year. Sources say this will be the first Mazda vehicle that adapts styling cues first seen on the Nagare concept vehicle.

Sources:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20090826/ANA05/908269993/1216

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/657...ed-mazda-tribute-to-arrive-in-2011/index.html

And here is the Nagare Concept just to give an idea, it might be departing from the Mazda3 cues:
mazda_nagare_concept_la.jpg

New 4 Cylinder Engine for the Mazda5 in 2011?

Mazda says it will debut a new range of 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission. The new engineset to debut in vehicles by 2011should get up to 32 mpg in the city and 42 mpg on the highway. Thats 10 more miles per gallon for each rating than the current four-cylinder engine.

Mazda has also not said which of its vehicles will get the new four-cylinder engines, but speculation focuses on the MX-5 Miata or Mazda5.

Source:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/08/mazda-promises-30-better-mileage-by-2016.html

Back