Long time owner, first time poster... just wanted to share my p5

iknowjoe

:
Silver 2002 Mazda Protege 5
After a few bent stock rims on my ride, the thought of aftermarket rims got me stoked. After much research, I opted for these Konig Troubles 16x7 replacements. No modifications were necessary for this transition. They were purchased online, which was a scary idea, but that's how I got a good deal. I was hesitant, having not seen them in person. Google image searching showed them on other cars and the results overall were quite sharp, so I gave them a shot. I am very pleased.
As an everyday vehicle to get me back and forth to work, I have always kept my car clean and well maintained, but have not done much modifications to it. It seems I have breathed new life back into my 145,000 mile protege and will be having it detailed this week. Now with the rims, the calipers will be getting a touch-up too for an overall finishing touch. Makes me think I should have done it sooner, but I love it now. This has prompted me to join this community to share and see more. I think I'm hooked on Mazda for life. I hope you enjoy and I'd like to here your feedback.
Any Mazdaholics near Edison, NJ? ZOOM ZOOM BABY!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1496.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
nice rims, not my style but an upgrade none the less

just dont get too into modding your car
cuz after a certain point, its more headaches then fun lol

Welcome...hate to tell you though that those rims will bend just as easily as your stock rims did...I had these on my Honda at one time and bent two of them...and one I bent twice...they are very soft rims...

^^^ Yeah, take it off & hit some highways so your P5 can have rock chips all over the front of it. That'll be cool lookin. As long as you keep it clean it won't do s***.....except keep rock chips off everything. If you never go on any highways, freeways or just drive rush hour walking speed all the time then go without one.

My bro isn't going anywhere. It has scuffed a little of the paint, but overall has been useful, it's also hiding a few scars. Plus I think it looks sharp and breaks up the silver nicely. Thanks for the hate and the love though.

As far as my new soft rims... they are now for sale, if you know anyone who wants some brand new, soon to be bent 16x7's, make me an offer. LOL! .... They too aren't going anywhere. If they bend "just as easily" as my stock rims, I should be looking for a new set around, say 290,000 miles. I'll take that durability. The stock rims were fine until the Newark light rail stupid-curb-in-the-middle-of-a-not-so-well-lit-street-for-no-good-reason challenged them. Curb 1 - Rims 0. Were you the only one you know of who bent 'em or have you heard of others? Trust me, I'm not always riding over curbs and always do my damndest to dodge pot holes. Thanks for the heads up though, I will be extra careful with them.

As far a modding further. Not much more is gonna happen. Just keep it clean and running like a champ. Like I said, vehicle is all purpose to and from work ride. Also transports skis, snowboards, mountain bikes, christmas trees, ladders, and I once packed 7 people in it, without using the hatch area or the roof racks for that matter. The car is fun, multi-purpose, good on gas, and sharp looking right off the lot. That's why I bought it, not much modification needed to make it look good. Plus, I can take on-and-off ramps at like 70mph without it flinching.

Thanks for all your feedback, and keep it coming.

Last edited:
nice rims, not my style but an upgrade none the less

just dont get too into modding your car
cuz after a certain point, its more headaches then fun lol

headache? i dont think so, the only thing thats a headache is when you realize you just dropped a lot of money over time...but o well you only live once.

On the honda forum I am on, there are a good bit of people with theses rims or similar konigs, and quite a few people have had problems with them bending easily...and like I said, I have bent two, one twice...but then again, I have also heard of people never having problems with them...

Good to know, I'll keep my eye on 'em. I should take it easier on my ride anyway with so many miles. Can't wait to see it sparkle like new after the detailing this week!

I think they look sharp, have any pics from farther away? and welcome, there is loads of info on this site, you just gotta take the time to look at it all

I'll be doing a full photo shoot of my ride after the detail, most definitely with a more sexy background. Those first few shots were real quick in my parking lot, mainly taken to email to my pop who is just as excited as me about the new look. Funny thing, he wanted a further away view too. I'll post new pics in this thread probably this weekend.

Great to be here.

Last edited:
Welcome! Lots of good people & info here. Look forward to seeing some more pics. BTW, if you are planning to sell the rims, how much? I need some for the winter.

Nice to see that my brand new sparkling rims, which have given my car new life and are the reason I joined this forum, are now in consideration to become backup beat-around winter rims. (gtfo)(eekfu)

I was thinking that was a possiblity, but would anyone want old bent rims? They are a day or two from the scap yard, unless someone really wants 'em. If that is the case, my apologies for the misunderstanding and flipping the birds.

Last edited:
welcome to the forums... i would run those rims on my ride... just need a little lowering

Welcome. Great looking Ride!!
Its nice to see Sweet looking Daily Drivers.
I hope my Ride will see as many miles as yours (lots of love and care).
I'm a third of the way there.
Keep going strong.
Zoom Zoom

Welcome and I like the new wheels.

Have you considered painting your headlight housings?

If it was simple enough and I knew I would be happy with the results... sure. What have you done? What have you seen? What do you recommend? Send me some pics.

If it was simple enough and I knew I would be happy with the results... sure. What have you done? What have you seen? What do you recommend? Send me some pics.

It really isn't that hard. You will need to remove the grill, bumper and headlights. Then you bake them in the oven @ 200 degrees for approx 10 minutes. Pull them apart and sand/paint the chrome housings. Here's a how-to - http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114394

Or you could buy the Canadian OEM black headlights for approx $700 a pair.

Click here for pics of when I painted mine with the guys from NEPOC.

http://www.altspace.com/nepoc/

Back