Oil Change Not By Dealer

marciano

:
2008 Mazda CX-7 GT FWD
I usually let wal-mart change my oil. Synthetic Mobil 1 usually runs about $45.
I was reading some other threads about how a plastic tray needs to be removed to get to the filter and drain, and I was wondering if anyone takes their vehicle to a Wal-Mart for the change or anywhere other than the dealer.
I don't feel like jacking with the dealer because I am always working and do the change when I am not at work, plus they are 25 miles away. Anyone go to someone other than the dealer???????????????? Did they have problems with the tray????????????????????????????????

I do my own but, don't find the undercover a big issue. To remove it you have 7 small bolts and one plastic clip to remove. All is easy to get to. The oil filter is the canister type. You should talk to the service writer & person doing the work, to ascertain what is involved. No big deal but, you don't want any surprises. Lots of cars have the protective undercover now so it is nothing new. Just make sure they replace it, as it is not only protection but, part of the cooling bay and aerodynamics. Ed

thank you, and what do you mean canister type...aren't they all round cylinders?

Like many older, (pre-50's) cars, the filter is like an air filter, where it drops into a canister that mounts to the engine. You can do a conversion to screw-ons.

"I usually let wal-mart change my oil."

*CRINGE*

IMO, risky move considering how easy it is to f'k up the oil filter on this engine. Do it yourself or take it to the dealer. It's too late to re-consider your decision after the oil light comes on while driving.

You sure you still have that tray... good chance they pulled it off and never put it back on, figuring you'll never crawl under there and check.

i only use mobil one and wal mart charges a good price, and they have never f'd up a job yet for me.

Talk to the service writer & PERSON DOING THE WORK. See if he knows what is involved. Like I said this is not new anymore as many cars have an undercover and many are starting to use the canister type filter. My WalMarts even has the filter element on their shelves. Watch the work being done if you can spare the time.

I used to work for Walmart, not in the service department, but I heard many horror stories, just from my store that arose from that department. I definitely would not recommend taking anything that you particularly cared about there. I had them mount my autocross tires once, and they screwed that job up so badly I took them to another shop to be remounted.

You get what you pay for. Pay cheap = get cheap service but in the long run it might end up costing you. Take it to where they know the vehicle best your dealer.

(shrug)it can't take that long to do it yourself? save the $45 and take out the favorite person in your life for dinner!

I have good confidance in my WM for tire mounting-balanceing and oil changes. I watch and observe while the wife spends money. The quality service depends on the people and not the store name. JMO. Ed

i agree ed........i would lovbe to change the oil myself, but i do not like doing it outside(i have no garage).......or i would.

just wait until a cooler part of the day? do you have a driveway?

when your oil light comes on it usually means its to late...

i personally do my own oil changes, but i understand that people don't always have the time, skill/confidence, or the resources. if you feel comfortable with wal-mart, let them do it. just make sure you watch them to make sure they are putting in what you pay for. i've heard a few places have charged for synthetic and put in dino.

another thing to watch is the filter itself. i know that there were issues originally with the fram and other cheap brands crushing. this could be a problem because your oil is essentially no longer being filtered. i'm not sure if that issue was fixed or not, but still something to be watchful for. also, if they do not have the correct oil filter wrench, they could mess up the housing for the filter, which could run you $50 or so.

So I completed my oil change at Wal Mart using Mobil 1 Synthetic Etxended Performance and.............. everything went fine, just as usual. For $48 dollars including the tax, my oil was changed-and-fluids checked...air pressure and filters and all...and they vacummed and cleaned my car. Got to love that service for the money!

Good to hear things went well marc. I presume they changed the filter element in the oil filter canester? I have confidance in my WM although I do my own. I have one or two fellas I like when getting tires rotated and always give them an extra $5 for good work, like using a torque wrence to set the wheel lugs. If possible get the guys name who did your work and call ahead next time to request he do your car. just a thought. Ed

Back