Mazdaspeed 3 vs Mazda 3 5door

I ran the numbers, so to speak, and it seems like I really can afford monthly car payments in the 200s 300s or 400s while still putting some of it away in an ira/403b. I'm not putting myself into serious debt by buying a mazdaspeed3 (like I would be if I bought a 40-80k car lol). I'll let you guys know how it goes.

An MS3 would be over $500 unless your putting down something! Pluse don't forget the difference in insurance.

I ran the numbers, so to speak, and it seems like I really can afford monthly car payments in the 200s 300s or 400s while still putting some of it away in an ira/403b. I'm not putting myself into serious debt by buying a mazdaspeed3 (like I would be if I bought a 40-80k car lol). I'll let you guys know how it goes.

if you can put away $15,500 every year into your 403b and still afford the ms3, then go for it.

If you like the car by all means get it, but also think about if you were to lose your good paying job could you still pay the note with a crappy one? Would you be willing to do what it takes to keep it? Thats how I justify anything I buy that does not gain value.
P.S Live life, Have fun, and Stack paper.

Last edited:
If you like the car by all means get it, but also think about if you were to lose your good paying job could you still pay the note with a crappy one? Would you be willing to do what it takes to keep it? Thats how I justify anything I buy that does not gain value.
P.S Live life, Have fun, and Stack paper.

now see, that's what i'm talkin about. if somethin happens, step up to the plate and do what it takes to overcome your setback. don't live your life based on what if this, what if that. don't live your life with regrets. do what makes you happy. be smart at the same time though. i agree with TUNGSTEN, if you like it, get it. it's all about YOU!!

I'd say get the MS3! It's an absolute blast to drive and one of the best performing new vehicles money can buy for 25k and under. However, like others have been saying don't just go off the MSRP. Gas / Insurance aren’t exactly cheap with this car. Insurance companies actually consider it a “sports car”.

Ghost Rider! Sports Car...too funny man... (Inside joke from another post.)

I agree with him. The MS3 does rock.

The difference in insurance will be 200/year over the M3.

Where did you get 15,500? That's a huge amount. I'm not putting that much away yet.

15,500/yr is the maximum allowed by law for 401k/403b. it's just a suggestion if you wanted to be very frugal and want to be on the right track for retirement. oh, but you're only 26? i guess when i was your age, i didn't really think about saving that much either. i'm 39.

I'd say get the MS3! It's an absolute blast to drive and one of the best performing new vehicles money can buy for 25k and under. However, like others have been saying don't just go off the MSRP. Gas / Insurance arent exactly cheap with this car. Insurance companies actually consider it a sports car.

actually, i think insurance is pretty cheap for the ms3. it only cost me $30/yr more than my prius.

I'd say get the MS3! It's an absolute blast to drive and one of the best performing new vehicles money can buy for 25k and under. However, like others have been saying don't just go off the MSRP. Gas / Insurance arent exactly cheap with this car. Insurance companies actually consider it a sports car.

hey Ghost, i feel you man. I had a discussion on another thread about the whole sports car thing.

Good for you!! Hope everything goes well, and that you feel happy with your choice! (cool)

Get the MS3. I'm 19 and i had 4 cars in the past year... while having the MS3. Best car the money could get you if you ask me when it comes to cheap performance. I'm even thinking of getting an S2000 for my daily just because i dont want to put so much abuse on my MS3, i love it so much.

I certainly hope hed put something down and also wouldnt finance for more than 5 years just to bring the monthly payment down
I'd definitely put down 5-10k, and wouldn't finance for more than 5 years.

I'd say get the MS3! It's an absolute blast to drive and one of the best performing new vehicles money can buy for 25k and under. However, like others have been saying don't just go off the MSRP. Gas / Insurance aren’t exactly cheap with this car. Insurance companies actually consider it a “sports car”.
As I pointed out earlier, the insurance is 200/year more than the M3 so not a huge difference. Mileage is 3less highway than the M3 and takes premium, so not negligible but not huge.

15,500/yr is the maximum allowed by law for 401k/403b. it's just a suggestion if you wanted to be very frugal and want to be on the right track for retirement. oh, but you're only 26? i guess when i was your age, i didn't really think about saving that much either. i'm 39.
I'm actually 23 since April. I agree that I shouldn't blow off saving money, but I'm not putting anywhere near that much in at least for a few years...

here... people with MS3's granted people put down cons about the car but but its all relative if you had to compare to other cars well i'm sure some cons would be pros and some pros would be cons

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123714594
Haha I love the poll results.

Edit: btw, 403b vs roth ira@bank..... advantages?

I'd definitely put down 5-10k, and wouldn't finance for more than 5 years.

As I pointed out earlier, the insurance is 200/year more than the M3 so not a huge difference. Mileage is 3less highway than the M3 and takes premium, so not negligible but not huge.

I'm actually 23 since April. I agree that I shouldn't blow off saving money, but I'm not putting anywhere near that much in at least for a few years...

Haha I love the poll results.

Edit: btw, 403b vs roth ira@bank..... advantages?

usually 403b is better, especially if your employer does matching (which is free money). for the roth ira, you don't get tax deduction now, but you withdraw it tax free when you retire (but you never know what will happen in the future; they might change the laws and screw you over. it's alway better to take the deduction now rather than later, unless you have an unwavering faith in the federal government.)

Go for the MS3 if you are in it for the joy of driving.
If you just need a point A to B car, then the 3 5-door is more than sufficient.

If money is the real issue, then you should not even consider a brand new car. To me, spending the 2 to 3 grand or so difference between the two is not that much considering that with the Speed3 you are getting an incredible performance car that is practical and drivable on a daily basis.
I love driving and I enjoy my time behind the wheel of a well balanced car with plenty of power to keep me excited in the twisties.

But, if all you care about is comfort and getting to where you are going then the regular 3 will do just fine.

Back