Mazdaspeed 3 vs Mazda 3 5door

25, married, house, and I drive a SLOW P5.

Get the cheaper car, save the cash. You'll be happier in the end :)

I say drive them both back to back and then think really hard about which one you want to drive for the next 3+ years. I owned a regular before my speed 3, so I like both cars.

My 2 cents so don't hate please!
25 live in the city and I'm not wealthy I have to make financial sacrifices elsewhere like HBO (LOL) big whoop! I have a good job at the same time. My rents think it is a great car until I racked up tickets. They don't approve of my racing at the strip for fear I'll break the car or it'll limit its life ... fair enough. At the same time I've heard my pop's say I wish I owned a car people got excited about. Mind you...there will always be a car like the MS3 out there (maybe/maybe not for the same $) and the longer you wait the bigger and badder you could afford ....or... until you find yourself 45 and driving a 5dr mercury sable wagon from 1995 with 4 screaming kids in the back and telling someone like yourself buy practical (like most people I work with however there the ones that probably envy my freedom to buy what I did). There's never a right time to buy a sports car unless your filthy rich. So I found myself with the MS3. Considering your points I decided it was the PERFECT combination of practical and sports car. I wanted something like an EVO or STI or even an infiniti G35 coupe, but that was out of my price range. I wanted something I could take the mtn on the ski trip and at the same time be able to afford a ski trip. I guess if you're struggling to rationalize the cost of an MS3 maybe its not the time for you to buy such a vehicle. The MS3 was a compromise to something more unpractical and out of my price range. I do not regret and I do not think it was a compromise now and love my decision this coming after driving it for the first time and everyday since to work.

PS insurance is baseline... you'll surely get at least 1 speeding ticket so add that to the insurance cost for safety.
edit: I didnt' read the whole thread so I'll just add if you can afford it I definitly give it a practical stamp of approval.
Very nice post; I'm sure nobody will hate on it haha. I definitely do want to avoid putting off something I've always wanted to do until I either can't do it anymore, or will feel like an idiot if I do. I don't find it preferable to wait until I'm 40 to get the 60,000 dollar car over just getting the 25k car as soon as I can. I'm really glad you said " Considering your points I decided it was the PERFECT combination of practical and sports car" because this is exactly what I want to hear! I'm glad you are yet another of the owners who does not regret getting the MS3. It's literally like 10-0 right now... then again the people who regret getting it might not be on car forums :p

How definite is it that I'll get a speeding ticket? Like someone said earlier, you don't have to drive the MS3 very fast (unlike videos I saw on youtube of people racing them on highways). I guess you could make the argument that you shouldn't get the MS3 unless you are going to drive it aggressively enough that you'll be bound to get a ticket, but I'm not sure if I agree. I got my license almost 6 and a half years ago, and I haven't been pulled over yet (cabpatch)<knocks on wood>. Regardless of how conservatively I try to drive in the car, I do know that's easy to get up into speeding territory without even realizing it, so that might be what you meant.

fwiw i'd rather have a single practical but fairly fun car and then a second totally impractical car instead of something that tries to be both in one. that's why i got rid of my evo for the 3 - my second car (once the 3 is paid off) can be that much more fun and that much more impractical because i won't need to drive it to work every day. in my mind monster miata + regular 3 > modified MS3

25, married, house, and I drive a SLOW P5.

Get the cheaper car, save the cash. You'll be happier in the end :)
I'm really glad it worked out for you, but dear god it will be 5 years before I'm ready to settle down. I think the 5-10 thousand dollars in car can make me much happier than 5-10 thousands dollars spending a year or two in my bank account, but I won't know that for sure until I try it...

fwiw i'd rather have a single practical but fairly fun car and then a second totally impractical car instead of something that tries to be both in one. that's why i got rid of my evo for the 3 - my second car (once the 3 is paid off) can be that much more fun and that much more impractical because i won't need to drive it to work every day. in my mind monster miata + regular 3 > modified MS3
I agree, in that, ideally, I'd like to have a practical car, and a fun car. I commented the other day that I liked the MX5 but wouldn't get it unless it was my second car (or maybe if I was married and my wife had the more practical car?). This is not a cheap undertaking however... I think it will be years before I can seriously consider having two cars. What I might do is get the car I want now (the combo of fun and practicality) and in the future get a purely practical car, and add on a second more fun car if I so choose. If I were rich I'd definitely do what you suggested right now.

well there are two ways to become wealthy. 1 is to have a high paying job (takes time for most people). the second is to spend wisely. new cars are never on the spending wisely path. there are plenty of people who aren't rich but have multiple cars because they spent wisely, not because they have high incomes

if your considereing a 3 hatch over a MS3...get the 3 hatch.

Its obvious you arnt a speed freak and really really want the performance...because if you were...you wouldn't even consider the 3 hatch.

Go with the hatch.

well there are two ways to become wealthy. 1 is to have a high paying job (takes time for most people). the second is to spend wisely. new cars are never on the spending wisely path. there are plenty of people who aren't rich but have multiple cars because they spent wisely, not because they have high incomes
Yeah I understand. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to do it in ~10 years, but I don't think it's wise for me to live my life for 10 years in the future. No matter how wise I am or how many extra dollars I try to rake in it will still be a while before I can afford to get two cars :-/

Yeah I understand. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to do it in ~10 years, but I don't think it's wise for me to live my life for 10 years in the future. No matter how wise I am or how many extra dollars I try to rake in it will still be a while before I can afford to get two cars :-/
i certainly hope you're living your life for more than 10 years in the future. i'm not saying never spend a penny but a good chunk of your money should be going into savings and a retirement fund and if it's not you shouldn't even be considering a new car nevermind a $25,000 new car. two cars really isn't that expensive if neither of them are brand new

but I don't think it's wise for me to live my life for 10 years in the future.

This is exactly the mentality that spiraled this country into a recession. Not only should you be living your life for 10 years in the future, but also 40 years in the future. Everybody's best intentions are that they'll be in a better place financially 10 years from now, but life has been known to throw a few curve balls (and some heaters right for your head). I guarantee that come the time you'll be scrimping every last cent to put as a downpayment for a house (BTW, usually an appreciating asset, unlike a car), you'll be kicking yourself for being shortsighted.

Cliff's Notes: buy a cheap, reliable beater, sock the rest away into investments for a house and your retirement. With compounding interest, investing now at 23 versus 33 could mean hundreds of thousands down the road.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...ireInStyle/SaveAMillionAtVirtuallyAnyAge.aspx

If you've saved zero at 25, to reach $1 million by age 65 you need to save $286 a month.

If you've saved zero at 35, to reach $1 million by age 65 you need to save $671 a month. If you've got $50,000, you need to save $304 a month.

If you've saved zero at 45, to reach $1 million by age 65 you need to save $1,698 a month. If you've saved $50,000, you need to save $1,298 a month. If you've saved $100,000, you need to stash away $861 a month.

see how much more it sucks if you put it off

I agree with this too... very very much so very good point.

Also regarding tickets... the simple answer is you need to be responsible and recognize that the car will speed and can easily speed if you ask it to and it will do so much more readily than many cars on the road so you will stand out. The driver gets the speeding ticket not the car remember that!

Take your dad and drive numerous cars. If you're seriously looking to buy a new car this is your opportunity to choose no harm in driving other cars. Maybe the VW 2.0T is a better for you not as much power but fun to drive and can be practical too. Maybe a carolla is a better option than the 5dr 3 for you? Good Luck.

i certainly hope you're living your life for more than 10 years in the future. i'm not saying never spend a penny but a good chunk of your money should be going into savings and a retirement fund and if it's not you shouldn't even be considering a new car nevermind a $25,000 new car. two cars really isn't that expensive if neither of them are brand new
Er, I guess it wasn't obvious that I meant I shouldn't live my life JUST for 10+ years in the future. I totally agree that I shouldn't be 100% shortsighted either. However, if I'm going to enjoy these next 10 years of my life, I'm going to have to spend some money... and this is coming from a person who is generally very conservative about purchases and the like. I never blow my money stupidly. You seem to be offering advice that implies 75% of the people around me are completely violating common sense, but making it sound like it's the obvious thing to do. Well, I guess that is possible. I'll make a quick list or two to organize my thoughts:

List of things I want to do that are somewhat shortsighted:

1) Get a car I want:
2) Go to the less inexpensive grad school because it is the only one that is logistically convenient

List of things I am or will soon be doing to invest in my future:

1) Not get the most expensive car I can possibly afford (by any means)
2) Go to grad school so I can get my permanent certification and eventually get paid for MA+60 or PHD.
3) Invest money into a 403b/IRA.
4) Live at home for several years while I pay off 100% of my college debt.
5) Tutor a shitload and make tons of money (seriously like 100/hour cash; people around here are ridiculous; I wouldn't pay that haha) as soon as I'm comfortable enough to add that to the workload.

I'm very glad you are leaning on the conservative side rather than the overly ambitious side since I don't want to be tempted to overdo it by a bunch of uninvolved internet people who aren't invested in my decision, and I appreciate your honesty. I'm just not convinced yet that I shouldn't get the car I want. I'm worried that if I live the next 5-10 years of my life planning just for the future, these years are just going to suck... and if that impacts on my performance at work it will be worse than if I'm simply a poor spender :-/ I need an EZ button.

This is exactly the mentality that spiraled this country into a recession. Not only should you be living your life for 10 years in the future, but also 40 years in the future. Everybody's best intentions are that they'll be in a better place financially 10 years from now, but life has been known to throw a few curve balls (and some heaters right for your head). I guarantee that come the time you'll be scrimping every last cent to put as a downpayment for a house (BTW, usually an appreciating asset, unlike a car), you'll be kicking yourself for being shortsighted.

Cliff's Notes: buy a cheap, reliable beater, sock the rest away into investments for a house and your retirement. With compounding interest, investing now at 23 versus 33 could mean hundreds of thousands down the road.
Again I understand your point. Most people go too far with this stuff, and do things they shouldn't. I really don't think I'm in the same category as most of the people who screwed themselves (and the country) over, but it's not fair for me to expect anonymous people on the internet who don't know me to make a judgment about this accurately when you don't know me. If I was planning on moving out now I'd definitely stick with this 95 eagle vision or replace it with something comparable. I also understand that no matter how much I prepare, you can never be too prepared to go out on your own, but I'm going to have to draw the line somewhere... and I think the only way I'm going to make it through the next 10 years without a tab and the nearest bar is if I give myself a link between professional success and immediate enjoyment. That is why, for the most part, I'm discussing the pros and cons of the fancier car, as opposed to the pros and cons of spending 25k dollars on something.

It's quite possible I'm missing some key points so I'll gladly consider any other input. I've yet to make up my mind for sure on anything.

Edit: BTW my goal isn't to save as many millions for retirement as possible. Therefore I'm not going to 100% lean towards investments on all of my decisions. However you are right and I'm beginning to invest now instead of after I pay off my car. But I'm not making 1000/month payments until I get a bit older :-/

Last edited:

I agree with this man! Ok so it doesn't mean one has to be cheap and save up money one will never enjoy, but you can't go just scraping by and not saving something for later. What are you going to do when you're old enough to retire? What are you going to live off? I've just turned 26 mind you, but you do have to ask yourself this. You shouldn't rely on the state/former company to pay you a pention/retirement, because maybe you'll never have one, or maybe it will barely be enough for living off crumbs.

I'd also recomend that, unless you have a good financial plan, you should stick to buying the regular 3 and save up some money, and invest it! Don't spend it.

It's obvious to me that even before you made this thread you were already leaning in one direction and need that gentle push to nudge you further along. So far, in response to anyone who has told you to invest, invest, invest, you've gone on the defensive. In response to anyone who told you which of the two cars to buy and to feed into instant gratification, you've reacted like they have your best interests in mind, when in truth nobody here knows your exact situation.

So really, just buy whatever will make you happy. But don't get hurt when people try to offer advice. Choose not to take said advice, that's up to you.

have you thought about a fit? $10k cheaper, will last way longer than either of the cars mentioned, better gas mileage, still fun to drive, cheap to maintain, and holds its resale value like crazy. i'd say seriously consider something in that class of cars while you're going to grad school that, when you're done and presumably making more money, you can sell for almost what you paid for it and get the kind of car you really want and also pay off your student loans at the same time. or if you choose to keep it you'll have a car that will last forever and can become your practical car. the few thousand difference between the 3 and the MS3 isn't a big deal but the price difference between the fit is enough to take into consideration

With mention of graduate school when will you actually be working in the field of choice and be making good money?

$25k ($517/month Eclipse GSX+$400 insurance) for a new car was rough for me living at home fresh out of college working in my field and paying rent to my parents and student loans.

I think one thing I should do is talk to someone (IRL haha) who's fairly knowledgeable on financial planning, go over my exact situation, and see how much of an impact this decision will have if things follow the current course. I realize that things can always change, but I'm teaching physics, and they always needs physics teachers, so I'm fairly confident I'll be working.

Also note: the only reason why I've jumped for people saying 'go for the MS3' was either because they were saying how they don't regret going for the car of the financial planning, or because they agreed with my theory about how it's a good car. If someone just says 'go for the MS3' but doesn't provide a reasonable explanation, then I politely move on to more substantive advice.

Yeah my dad got a beater not that long ago with a manual transmission, so I've been practicing on it. I'm fairly comfortable with it now, but I'm sure I can use more practice. As soon as he gets back from his business trip, I think I'm going to steal his car and drive in circles around long island to try get 100% comfortable. But I think you are right that the MS3 will be difficult even if I become comfortable with the beater (an old dodge neon).

im not ambitious enough to read the rest of this thread at the moment, so i'm just gonna throw in a few more words in response to this and the general idea of where the thread seems to be going.

i'm in a situation not unlike you. i live in new york (orange county, takes me about 2:15 to get to east islip with minor traffic when i head down to your part of the state) i'm 21 and still live with my parents, though only through the end of the summer, as i will be back at school for my last year and will be moving out come next spring. i also have significantly more manual tranny experience, but that's pretty much moot because as long as you can drive somewhat competently without stalling it, you shouldnt have much trouble getting used to driving this car.

i was a little torn between getting an econobox and a hot hatch. i thought about saving the money for a house and family that isn't unlikely to be part of my life within a couple of years. i thought about it a lot, and it came down to one major revelation: i love to go fast, i love cars, i love throwing them through turns, and this might very well be my last chance to have a car as we know them today. with all the s*** that's going on with the economy and fuel situation, cars are bound to be very different in the near future.

i had enough money to be able to afford it, so i went for it, because that's what i wanted. as far as the money, i have enough to avoid disaster, so that's good enough for now. could i have had a bit more money down the road if i had saved now? of course. but you know what, just because you're living doesnt mean you're LIVING.

money in your pocket is nice for a crutch when you need it, but i'm not gonna live my life with that as my goal. there are much more important things in life than that as far as im concerned.

now, you just have to decide what will make you happy. go with that choice, as long as its reasonable, which in your case, either presented choice seems to be.

/end virtuous rant.

With mention of graduate school when will you actually be working in the field of choice and be making good money?

$25k ($517/month Eclipse GSX+$400 insurance) for a new car was rough for me living at home fresh out of college working in my field and paying rent to my parents and student loans.
I'm already working in the field of choice and making good money. I want it to get better, but that's up to me.

Hm 400 insurance is a lot more than I expect to be paying fortunately. If you don't mind me asking how much did your employer start you at annually? If you do mind me asking, could you let me know ~how much you were paying/month in rent and student loans?

Back