Mazda 5 key lost program

So my wife is taking our baby to visit her parents in VA, she goes on saturday to start the car and....nothing...brand new, less than 3K miles and it won't start. Roadside asst takes the thing to the nearest dealer, and they told her they initially think the key lost its program....and that sometimes being close to a cell phone can cause the key to dump the program...anyone heard of this...kinda stupid to build a key that relies on a chip that can be blanked by a cell phone, don't most people keep both in a pocket..or women keep them in the purse together...

Never heard of it, sounds really stupid if it's true. Generally speaking the keys should never "lose" their programming. IIRC In reality the code from the key is permanent and what you are doing is teaching the car to recognize that code.

Has anyonce checked to see if the battery in either the remote or the car itself is dead? Crazy question, but it happened to me last weekend, turned out batteries (both were dead) were the culprit...

So my wife is taking our baby to visit her parents in VA, she goes on saturday to start the car and....nothing...brand new, less than 3K miles and it won't start. Roadside asst takes the thing to the nearest dealer, and they told her they initially think the key lost its program....and that sometimes being close to a cell phone can cause the key to dump the program...anyone heard of this...kinda stupid to build a key that relies on a chip that can be blanked by a cell phone, don't most people keep both in a pocket..or women keep them in the purse together...

Short answer:
It's not possible.

Longer answer:
Chips don't get re-written that way. If it's a re-writable style of chip in the key fob, it would be erased with a programmer and a special program. They're electrically erasable, not magnetically, and not via radio frequencies (RF).

Also, it's a transmitter, not a receiver. Although you'd get some induction from the cell phone signals on the wires in the fob, they won't be enough to erase the chip. Not only do you have to have enough of a voltage, you'd have to enter in the correct sequence for re-writing.

I've never heard of a chip that could be erased by a cellular signal. I've worked with transmitters that are orders of magnitude more powerful than anything you're going to find in a cell phone. I say this an an EE who has worked with a lot of RF, and done a lot of coding in an RF-heavy environment. Yes, there can and will be interference, but once the source of that interference is removed, normal operation almost always resumes.

If it is somehow erasable that way, it's certainly worthy of a mention in the Risks Digest, at the very least.

It's quite unlikely. The fob's been around for a while, and there'd be many more people with reports of cell-phone related fob deaths.

It's more likely to be a dead battery. If the buttons on the fob get held down the fob will continue to send out the signal. If you have finger-shaped items in your purse (like lipstick, feminine products, candy, lighters, etc.) and they get mashed against the buttons, you could be inadvertently holding the button down for hours at a time.

That in itself is a little troubling, as it's pretty easy to turn off the transmitter if a button has been held down for more than 30 seconds.

It could be a defective Li cell.

Quick comment, the key should be able open the car manually via the keyhole and start (i.e. turn the ignition) even if the battery of the fob is dead. As per the rest, agree with themagni, close to impossible to mess it up with a cell phone (it is like they also pop corn ;))

If the other key works fine, then this one is defective for sure, they just need to replace and reprogram it.

It's one of those urban myths just like the one about opening the car using a cell phone and someone on the other side clicking the spare remote.

from what i heard from the mechanic is it won't erase the program inside the chip. but it will make it all screwy. so it won't work.. i was always told by mazda canada and mitsubishi canada that when we deliever a car to a customer.. always remind them keep their keys and cell phone away from each other. there is a slight possibility that it might happen.

Back