Problem with start up and idle and complete stumped

fatti03msp

Contributor
:
03 MSP & 91 RX-7 & 00 1500
ok so here is my problem.

My car was running good, i did the 1.8L coilpack conversion and added some new NGK plugs. I gapped the plugs to .028 and installed them at the same time. After i did that my car was having a real rough idle and would stall when i would first start up the car for the day. It felt like i was running a piston short or something cause i had to ride the clutch to get it moving. So i went like that for a week just hoping it get better, but i didnt.

So with the same setup i installed the perrin fuel rail and it ran even worse lol. so i looked at the my plugs which where in the car for lil under 2 weeks and they where a lil white and the piston 2nd from the left was more white then others. so i switched back to the stock coils and wires hoping that it would fix the problem and it was a lil better but not by much.

So today i got new plugs and gapped them at .030, installed them and the car is still running rough, i was at a 450rpm idle a couple of times and then it just stalls. But once i start moving its fine and the car has a semi miss a lil bit, when i come up to a light or stop sign but its not a horrible real bad miss. But when i get on it everything is fine, boost is good, vac is good when im just coasting in a gear and my A/F ratios are how the normally are. Also i dont have to ride the clutch anymore to pull out so that is a plus.

Me and my one buddy who is a tech can figure out what the hell is wrong with the car, if anybody has any suggestions that would be great and thanks for taking the time to read this long post. Whoever can figure it out my problem if there is one ill send you a zoom-zoom-boom decals im getting made for me lol.

Last edited:
hey I'm thinking vac leak, but also sounds like pre-ignition... did you try to pull the wires off to make sure both coil packs are firing

Last edited:
just a shot in the dark but either your timing slipped (don't know how though) or you have been feeding her with some bad gas

I would remove the fuel rail and bring it back to the way it was before the problem started to see if that that fixes the issue

part of my also wants to say the EGR but I don't see how if would have triggered it unless its just complete coincidence

oh one more thing...are you sure you put the packs in the right firing sequence? I'd be surprised if this was the case but just throwing it out there

ill check my timing and i do have wires in the right spot lol, i also heard that i chould check my IAC solienad (however you spell that). I also will check the vac. It all started when i switched to the 1.8L coilpack and new plugs.

Also whenever i finally getting moving and it stalls when i start moving a lil bit, its running lean as hell, my wideband reads --

ill check my timing and i do have wires in the right spot lol, i also heard that i chould check my IAC solienad (however you spell that). I also will check the vac. It all started when i switched to the 1.8L coilpack and new plugs.

Also whenever i finally getting moving and it stalls when i start moving a lil bit, its running lean as hell, my wideband reads --

Jo0 gotz a pm!

Did you ever figure this out? I just installed the Perrin fuel rail and now my idle is funny at times as well. Will be perfectly fine and then drop real low about once every minute or so and the AFRs will go really lean and then slowly come back to normal as the car catches itself. I have a nice CEL because of this...

Did you ever figure this out? I just installed the Perrin fuel rail and now my idle is funny at times as well. Will be perfectly fine and then drop real low about once every minute or so and the AFRs will go really lean and then slowly come back to normal as the car catches itself. I have a nice CEL because of this...

no i haven't really had time to figure it out but thats weird your having the same problem too, did you happen to get the CEL checked out???

go to autozone they check it for free
do you think you might need to get an upgraded fuel pressure regualtor?

no i haven't really had time to figure it out but thats weird your having the same problem too, did you happen to get the CEL checked out???
Yep, P0171: Bank 1 - System too Lean. I had it checked and cleared and it came on about 70 miles or so later. The car drives just fine and for the most part idles fine too it's just that occasionally it will try to die, the AFRs go lean and if it does this too many times the same CEL returns.

When you installed the Perrin fuel rail, did you reuse that little blue thing that was in the end of the stock line? I did, but for some reason I can't fully clamp the end of the hose on the Perrin (the one they supplied). It doesn't leak from what I can tell (I've had my hand down there while the car was running) but I'm curious as to if that might be the issue. It also looks like I'm going to have a hell of a time getting that connection off - I tried pulling it off when I first installed it to no avail...

Yep, P0171: Bank 1 - System too Lean. I had it checked and cleared and it came on about 70 miles or so later. The car drives just fine and for the most part idles fine too it's just that occasionally it will try to die, the AFRs go lean and if it does this too many times the same CEL returns.

When you installed the Perrin fuel rail, did you reuse that little blue thing that was in the end of the stock line? I did, but for some reason I can't fully clamp the end of the hose on the Perrin (the one they supplied). It doesn't leak from what I can tell (I've had my hand down there while the car was running) but I'm curious as to if that might be the issue. It also looks like I'm going to have a hell of a time getting that connection off - I tried pulling it off when I first installed it to no avail...

i took that blue thing off and it clamped perfectly in place. It was on and it took me for ever then i noticed it and took it off and it was all good.

Me or the OP? Personally, I am running the SS AFC V2 but technically it is supposed to have zero impact on the car during vacuum conditions (ie idle).

im running the same fuel mangament too.

i took that blue thing off and it clamped perfectly in place. It was on and it took me for ever then i noticed it and took it off and it was all good.
Okay, I'll try to remove that and I'll see how it goes. Having you ever removed that line since installing the Perrin? Mine isn't even clamped and I can't seem to get it off.

Okay, I'll try to remove that and I'll see how it goes. Having you ever removed that line since installing the Perrin? Mine isn't even clamped and I can't seem to get it off.

i havent taken off the line since i installed, but when and if you do get your line off and get the blue thing off, it will clamp right

i havent taken off the line since i installed, but when and if you do get your line off and get the blue thing off, it will clamp right
This is what I'm hoping. That, and I'm going to go over all my injector o-rings and spacers to make sure none are torn or broken. After that's it's vacuum leaks and then who knows what. A fuel rail is a fuel rail so tha car shouldn't be running differently with the Perrin installed.

Just a theory but from the regulator to the injectors there is more volume so either the heat from the bigger rail or just the volume is slightly dropping the pressure. Can you guys make a small adjustment to fuel at idle from 500-1000rpm range -22vac to around -18vac.

Back