Motor mount question

Tedster

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
So do motor mounts on the 2.0 engine have grease or oil or stuff in them? This may be a dumb question but my motormount by the belts is leaking. I kid you not, yesterday there was oil all around it and inside of it and under the PS hoses and container, I thought it was from the PS hoses but they were dry. And yesterday i wiped everything clean and dry and this morning when i got to work i checked again and it was wet/oily inside the motor mount again, and dry under the ps hoses and container. What the....? Any advice?? Thanks.

Yea thats what I thought... but where the heck is the oil coming from? This is like one of those mysterious, impossible situations.

Wow you serious Caker? Whats in it? Grease? Ugh crap so it needs replaced if its leaking eh? Never heard of that before, very weird. Why does it need grease in there? So is it easy to replace, or take it in?
Thanks for solving the mystery.

It's very easy to replace. You can try finding a used one, or go with aftermarket replacement or AWR inserts even.

The fluid is to help reduce vibrations.

Hey Caker, so are you sure its liquid filled? I called Mazda and the parts guy didnt know anything about that, and the service guys were at lunch so i'll go in today and see what they say. I looked at the mount again now at lunch, and its clearly leaking from inside the mount.... weird.

Ok I've read a few other posts about it. That thing is expensive, even Napa has it for $107. So how do the AWR inserts work? They just go over the existing mount? Do they last a long time?

Yeah...side mount is NOT liquid filled, it's just rubber, I have one sitting on the floor next to me right this moment, looks pretty solid to me. The AWR inserts just slide into the slots that go through the mount.

Hm. Well maybe yours is still in one piece and hasnt blown up like mine has. Is yours a different brand or stock?

There are no aftermarket side motor mounts, only inserts. Like I said, NO protege has liquid filled side motor mounts. It may be greasy or oily, but it is not FILLED with liquid.

Well I learned something new. Regardless, the OEM mounts are made of solid rubber, no liquid involved.

Well its confirmed, i went in to the Mazda dealer yesterday and they checked the mount and said it does have fluid in it. They started using those in the 90's, and Honda's have some as well. He was saying the Protege5's have problems with them.

So now how long can i drive with it like this? When will i notice vibration? Is it when idling or regular driving or hi-speed freeway driving??
Thanks.

the most of the vibrations that you will feel is when you are idling or at the lowest rpms... at least it is for me.

Back