Brake Dust

I was just up in DC over the fourth holiday visiting my brother and his family. I have a 08.5 Mz3, and he has an '08 MS3. When I first got there, of course one of the first things we did was look at each others cars. When we walked up to his after looking at mine, he was going on about how little brakedust I had. Looking at his, I didn't really know what he was talking about...until he wiped his finger down one of the spokes, and told me it had only been about two weeks since he cleaned them. I had honestly thought he had them painted gun metal grey (which looks great on true red by the way).

I was wondering, do all you MS3 owners have the same problem? That seems like an insane amount of break dust. I understand your pads need to be a loft softer to increase breaking performance, but that just seems insane.

As an aside, damn all of you for having such a ridiculously fun car, my Mz3 feels like a sloth now that I got to sit in a MS3.

Haha yes that is totally normal, there is tons of break dust and carbon deposits on the tailpipe. I can't go 2 weeks without washing the car or it looks horrible. Everything gets covered with black dust.

yeah, brake dust is horrible!!!, put a coat of wax on the rims, the dust falls off easier..

I found with waxing the dust collects more because its sticking to the wax but they are easier to clean off, I wonder if switching to black rims would make it less noticeable.

idk what "wax" you guys are using, but anything but a formulated wheel sealant is pointless.

the protective oils that a wax leaves behind will just melt away as soon as you start driving.

brake dust should stick more to the wheels because you waxed them... unless you didnt remove the wax?

i only wax my wheels (with DP wheel glaze, a formulated wheel wax) for the looks. my car gets cleaned regularly once a week, so brake dust build up is not a problem. the insides of my wheels are clean enough to eat off of.

cleaning the car regularly will help keep the brake dust from baking onto the paint surface. also get some proper brushes to clean the inner barrel of the wheels. it looks great when the inner barrels are cleaned as well.

like this
P6211206.jpg

before
P6211207.jpg

after

idk what "wax" you guys are using, but anything but a formulated wheel sealant is pointless.

the protective oils that a wax leaves behind will just melt away as soon as you start driving.

brake dust should stick more to the wheels because you waxed them... unless you didnt remove the wax?

i only wax my wheels (with DP wheel glaze, a formulated wheel wax) for the looks. my car gets cleaned regularly once a week, so brake dust build up is not a problem. the insides of my wheels are clean enough to eat off of.

cleaning the car regularly will help keep the brake dust from baking onto the paint surface. also get some proper brushes to clean the inner barrel of the wheels. it looks great when the inner barrels are cleaned as well.

like this
P6211206.jpg

before
P6211207.jpg

after

damn, want a cookie? lol. i'm just kidding but what a power statement. lol :) anywho, yeah i wouldn't recommend using a wax for a wheel unless going for the glossy shine aesthetic look that will only last like a day or so. I would just go for a wheel cleaner that brakes away the brake deposit.

I found with waxing the dust collects more because its sticking to the wax but they are easier to clean off, I wonder if switching to black rims would make it less noticeable.

I have some black Enkei's on my Speed. The dust itself isn't really black, more dark grayish brownish thing, so yes, you see the brake dust on the black rims just as quickly. Regular washing is the best thing.

I'm not too fond of waxing wheels either, haven't done it on this car. I just use armor all wheel cleaner spray when I wash my car about once a week. What cleaners do people recommend, I'm running low and was thinking about trying something else.

I have had an standard Mazda 3 and now the MS3. BOTH are horrible with brake dust and not one more than the other. All comes down to how long you go between washes. 2 weeks seems like a long time but that is just me... I wash my car at least 2 or 3 times a week.

not to be a dick....but you dont own a MS3 so you have no idea how bad it actually is.

I have owned performance and non-perfromance cars, and my MS3 has more brake dust than anything I've ever had.

yeah but i detail mercedes and bmws.

i do regular bi weekly washes for my customers and they have by far the worst brake dust out of all the cars ive ever worked on.

i also have several friends with speed3s so i know the severity of the brake dusting issue.

i recommend DP wheel cleaner. its a gel wheel cleaner that you spray on after rinsing the wheel, agitate with a brush, and rinse off. Another great wheel cleaner for really caked on brake dust is p21s gel wheel cleaner. its by far the best on the market, but it is on the pricey side (about 22 dollars a qt)

i recommend DP because its a bit cheaper, and does a great job cleaning wheels.

One of my friends has had 4 bmw's all were the worst brake dust cars I've ever seen, granted they were never cleaned so it just built up over years but they seemed worse than my speed. I'll have to look for the DP wheel cleaner, I havent noticed any around before.

I've had great results with any product that contains Ammonia Bifluoride.

Even after going all last winter without being able to wash the car properly, it was able to power through a pretty nasty crust of rust & dust.

I had ceramic pads put on my Ram. Reduced the dust tremendously. Are ceramics available for the MS3s?

Ceramic pads are great for reducing brake dust but they are very hard on the rotors and reduce performance. They dont suffer from fading as much but the pads on the car now are the best performing, thats why our cars stop faster from 70mph than most sports cars.

Back