CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!

View Poll Results: which suspension upgrade?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • BC Coil Overs

47 48.45%
  • Mazdaspeed Coil Overs

44 45.36%
  • Autoexe Tunable Suspension

6 6.19%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mazdaspeed coil overs vs. bc vs. autoexe

2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT Black Mica

Oh I see. Does anyone know if the MS coilovers are stainless steel or not? I'm kind of set on the stainless, cause I drive mine year round and it sits on the street in the winter when we get heavy snow, and I don't want the coilover threads to seize.
    07' Mazdaspeed3 GT Black Mica - basic bolt-ons
    87' Supra Turbo - 1JZGTE swap & lots of weight reduction

They certainly look like they are constructed exactly like the KW bits:

I'm assuming they are stainless steel.
    Last edited by Nliiitend1; 12-04-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo

Registered Member

The more research I do on MS coilovers, the more they appear to be very similar to KW V3's. The only major physical difference, from what I'm told, is the black threaded collar that limits how much you can drop the front (which can apparently be removed). Beyond that, MS coilovers apparently have a rate of 400/290 over 375/260 from KW. And the valving is apparently the same.
    Last edited by Design; 12-04-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed 3

I hear lots of great reviews from local members and on the boards in regards to H&R's for the MS3, in fact I may get a set in the coming months.
    COBB SRI | Black FORGE BPV | ROTA SVN's | Smoked Side markers | 20% Tint | 6000k 55w HID's | Shark Fin Antenna | CF Spoiler Lip
    Nick: The most amazing person alive with a huge penis - Urban Dictionary

2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT Black Mica

All KW street coilovers have a fairly conservative lowering limit (well, it's only conservative if a 2+ inch drop matters to you) to allow the parts to be street legal in europe. It mentions about it on their website. TUV sets standards for coilovers as to how far they can allow the car to be lowered and still remain street legal. I guess it keeps the ricers in check over there.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by FOGMIC 3 View Post
    I hear lots of great reviews from local members and on the boards in regards to H&R's for the MS3, in fact I may get a set in the coming months.
    For daily use, I'd choose H&R's any day of the week. Most of their apps are about 50% stiffer over stock with slightly more progressive spring rates. The only reason i'm considering MS coilovers is because of their adjustability. H&R uses threaded Bilstein Sports which aren't adjustable.

Registered Member

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II

Quote Originally Posted by 7mileshome View Post
    I have the mazdaspeed coilovers, and I love them. I have tracked them a couple of times, and they are absolutely worth it. Independant compression and rebound adjustment (16 ways +/- for both.) It does lower the car, but not as much as the BCs, that is too low. The mazdaspeed coilovers are the KW varant 2s, they are just rebadged as mazdaspeeds.

Basically for anyone doing research:
    If you are into performance/racing, and auto-x, GET the mazdaspeeds!! There is a reason that club mazda uses them!

If you just want something to really lower your car, get the BC.

P.s. - If you call a vendor looking for advice on which set-up to go with, just keep in mind that their goal is to get you to buy something. Talk to someone that actually knows something about suspension for advice. = )
    The KW Variant 2 is only one adjustment, the KW 3 has compression and rebound, so I think the MazdaSpeed are actually the variant 3 struts, but I could be wrong.

SportsCompactCar (RIP...) did a great suspension comparison in 2008 w/ both BuddyClub and KW. They did use an S2000, but the comparisons are still valid. They liked the KW ClubSport best for street and strip. The ClubSport is the V3 KW w/ different upper mounts and more aggressive dampening profiles. Given that I am autocrossing a lot, I'm going with the MazdaSpeed.

LASTLY - if you do autocross, you're eligible for MazdaSpeed MotorSports Competition Parts discounts. I'm calling for pricing tomorrow, but basically you show them two race/autocross results, and they sell you parts at ridiculously low prices. Very cool...

Cheers,
    Collin Webster

Quote Originally Posted by FCNutCase View Post
    The KW Variant 2 is only one adjustment, the KW 3 has compression and rebound, so I think the MazdaSpeed are actually the variant 3 struts, but I could be wrong.

SportsCompactCar (RIP...) did a great suspension comparison in 2008 w/ both BuddyClub and KW. They did use an S2000, but the comparisons are still valid. They liked the KW ClubSport best for street and strip. The ClubSport is the V3 KW w/ different upper mounts and more aggressive dampening profiles. Given that I am autocrossing a lot, I'm going with the MazdaSpeed.

LASTLY - if you do autocross, you're eligible for MazdaSpeed MotorSports Competition Parts discounts. I'm calling for pricing tomorrow, but basically you show them two race/autocross results, and they sell you parts at ridiculously low prices. Very cool...

Cheers,
    Collin Webster

You're correct.

Registered Member

2010 Speed 3

Does anyone have a pic of the lowest setting on the BC set up?

2010 CBM Mazdaspeed 3

MSM (Mazdaspeed) Coilovers are re-badged KWv3s that are dialed in perfectly for our cars by Mazdaspeed. They are a FAR superior coilover to BCs in so many ways. And if you're a member of MSM, you can get them for literally like a grand less than KWv3s.

No contest...

(Couldn't resist the thread necro )
    FREEK'D FTW! | 93 Octane: 325/340 | E28 Mix: 390/385
    COBB AP | Autotechs | BNR S3 v1 | CM10 Spraying 100% Methanol | HTP 3.5" | JBR Piping & TR8C | Synapse DV | Full 3" Custom Exhaust | Stratified 3-Port & GA v2 | 3-Bar MAP
    JBR Rear Sway Bar | GC Coilovers 375F/430R with Koni Yellows | SPC Arms | Stoptech Lines | CS Pads
    JBR 88d RMM/80d PMM, IM & TB TIGs, Coolant Bypass, SSP, Bushings, & Knob | MD OCC
    245/40 - 17 Michelin PSS on MB Weapons | Rolled Fenders

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234