which suspension upgrade?

• BC Coil Overs

Votes: 47 48.5%
  • Mazdaspeed Coil Overs

Votes: 44 45.4%
  • Autoexe Tunable Suspension

Votes: 6 6.2%

• Total voters
H&R are very good coilovers, no damper adjustability but frankly that's not a bad thing. H&R uses custom bilstein which is an excellent shock. Matched to the springs you wind up with a very good ride and much improved handling. I had a set of H&R's on a previous Audi and they were very good for all around street and track use.

I concur. I liked the H&R coilovers so much on my previous car that I went with them again on the MS3. Very good ride when modestly lowered (I'm lowered about 1.25 - 1.50" all around) and slightly stiffer than stock for sharper cornering. Not the stiffest setup so it'll probably be a bit more sloppy on a track but for 99.5% street use, can't be beat IMO.

If ur going to spen $2500 why not look ayt the hks there really good

I believe he's talking Canadian dollars, meaning that the HKS kit is still going to be proportionally more expensive and probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500-$4000 (Canadian)...

I have the mazdaspeed coilovers, and I love them. I have tracked them a couple of times, and they are absolutely worth it. Independant compression and rebound adjustment (16 ways +/- for both.) It does lower the car, but not as much as the BCs, that is too low. The mazdaspeed coilovers are the KW varant 2s, they are just rebadged as mazdaspeeds.

According to the KW website, the variant 2 only has adjustable rebound. The variant 3 is the one with independent adjustable compression and rebound. Maybe the mazdaspeeds are variant 3's. I was even looking at the KW variant 1 for my car. I really like the fact that the KW is stainless steel and polymer and will never rust or seize. Huge plus here where it snows.

The only thing I notice is.. if the Mazdaspeed coilovers are KW variant 3's, then they are about $300 less than KW charges for them. (wow) Are you sure they're KW? It should be easy to tell, if the bodies are magnetic, they are probably not KW (since all the MS3 KW coilovers are non-magnetic stainless steel with polymer spring collars).

According to the KW website, the variant 2 only has adjustable rebound. The variant 3 is the one with independent adjustable compression and rebound. Maybe the mazdaspeeds are variant 3's. I was even looking at the KW variant 1 for my car. I really like the fact that the KW is stainless steel and polymer and will never rust or seize. Huge plus here where it snows.

The only thing I notice is.. if the Mazdaspeed coilovers are KW variant 3's, then they are about $300 less than KW charges for them. (wow) Are you sure they're KW? It should be easy to tell, if the bodies are magnetic, they are probably not KW (since all the MS3 KW coilovers are non-magnetic stainless steel with polymer spring collars).

The MS Coilovers are similar to KW's V3s, but they are not the same thing.

Yes, they are independently height, rebound, and compression adjustable. They do employ different springs (and therefore different spring rates) than KW's own V3 offering and perhaps different damper circuit valving as well (I don't know that anyone has confirmed or disproven this yet).

Basically, Mazdaspeed contracted with KW to build them their MS3 kits using the features that KW typically offers on their V3 line. ;)

Oh I see. Does anyone know if the MS coilovers are stainless steel or not? I'm kind of set on the stainless, cause I drive mine year round and it sits on the street in the winter when we get heavy snow, and I don't want the coilover threads to seize.

They certainly look like they are constructed exactly like the KW bits:

mazdaspeed_coilovers.JPG

I'm assuming they are stainless steel.

Last edited:
The more research I do on MS coilovers, the more they appear to be very similar to KW V3's. The only major physical difference, from what I'm told, is the black threaded collar that limits how much you can drop the front (which can apparently be removed). Beyond that, MS coilovers apparently have a rate of 400/290 over 375/260 from KW. And the valving is apparently the same.

Last edited:
I hear lots of great reviews from local members and on the boards in regards to H&R's for the MS3, in fact I may get a set in the coming months.

All KW street coilovers have a fairly conservative lowering limit (well, it's only conservative if a 2+ inch drop matters to you) to allow the parts to be street legal in europe. It mentions about it on their website. TUV sets standards for coilovers as to how far they can allow the car to be lowered and still remain street legal. I guess it keeps the ricers in check over there.

I hear lots of great reviews from local members and on the boards in regards to H&R's for the MS3, in fact I may get a set in the coming months.

For daily use, I'd choose H&R's any day of the week. Most of their apps are about 50% stiffer over stock with slightly more progressive spring rates. The only reason i'm considering MS coilovers is because of their adjustability. H&R uses threaded Bilstein Sports which aren't adjustable.

I have the mazdaspeed coilovers, and I love them. I have tracked them a couple of times, and they are absolutely worth it. Independant compression and rebound adjustment (16 ways +/- for both.) It does lower the car, but not as much as the BCs, that is too low. The mazdaspeed coilovers are the KW varant 2s, they are just rebadged as mazdaspeeds.

Basically for anyone doing research:
If you are into performance/racing, and auto-x, GET the mazdaspeeds!! There is a reason that club mazda uses them!

If you just want something to really lower your car, get the BC.

P.s. - If you call a vendor looking for advice on which set-up to go with, just keep in mind that their goal is to get you to buy something. Talk to someone that actually knows something about suspension for advice. = )

The KW Variant 2 is only one adjustment, the KW 3 has compression and rebound, so I think the MazdaSpeed are actually the variant 3 struts, but I could be wrong.

SportsCompactCar (RIP...) did a great suspension comparison in 2008 w/ both BuddyClub and KW. They did use an S2000, but the comparisons are still valid. They liked the KW ClubSport best for street and strip. The ClubSport is the V3 KW w/ different upper mounts and more aggressive dampening profiles. Given that I am autocrossing a lot, I'm going with the MazdaSpeed.

LASTLY - if you do autocross, you're eligible for MazdaSpeed MotorSports Competition Parts discounts. I'm calling for pricing tomorrow, but basically you show them two race/autocross results, and they sell you parts at ridiculously low prices. Very cool...

Cheers,
Collin Webster

The KW Variant 2 is only one adjustment, the KW 3 has compression and rebound, so I think the MazdaSpeed are actually the variant 3 struts, but I could be wrong.

SportsCompactCar (RIP...) did a great suspension comparison in 2008 w/ both BuddyClub and KW. They did use an S2000, but the comparisons are still valid. They liked the KW ClubSport best for street and strip. The ClubSport is the V3 KW w/ different upper mounts and more aggressive dampening profiles. Given that I am autocrossing a lot, I'm going with the MazdaSpeed.

LASTLY - if you do autocross, you're eligible for MazdaSpeed MotorSports Competition Parts discounts. I'm calling for pricing tomorrow, but basically you show them two race/autocross results, and they sell you parts at ridiculously low prices. Very cool...

Cheers,
Collin Webster

You're correct.

MSM (Mazdaspeed) Coilovers are re-badged KWv3s that are dialed in perfectly for our cars by Mazdaspeed. They are a FAR superior coilover to BCs in so many ways. And if you're a member of MSM, you can get them for literally like a grand less than KWv3s.

No contest...

(Couldn't resist the thread necro :D )

Back