how to reaim your headlights. (HID)

dkswim

:
MAZDASPEED 3
HOW TO reaim your headlights. this is for the gt with the hid headlights.

The Problem is the hid are aimed too low for normal driving not being able to see down the road and not seeing road signs till your right ontop of them. I have ran through a stop sign beacuse of this.

DISCLAIMER i am taking no responcability for anything you do to your car this is only to show my solution to said problem.

SOLUTION first i had to wait till it was dark enough to see my headlights but bright enough to see under the hood. i wish i had a garage. need car parked in front of wall 4-6 ft away the more distance you can get the more accurate it will be.

second with lights on and the roller level set to 0 i marked the top of where the light was on the wall with some tape.

third turn the roller to the 1 setting. you want to turn the white plastic screw at the back of each light counter-clockwise until you bring the light level back to the tape mark on the wall. its that white screw behind the orange connector its a pillips head #2

enjoy

i wouldnt recomend adjusting any larger then 1 setting. when ever you use your high beams turn your knob back to 1 that way you can see farther. with oncomeing traffic try and use the 1 setting that way your not blinding me when your comeing down the road.

Attachments

• DSC00650.jpg
    DSC00650.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,763
  • DSC00649s.jpg
    DSC00649s.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 2,002
  • DSC00652.jpg
    DSC00652.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3,914
Last edited:
seems pretty easy...ive always thought the stock height was too low...very good write up. Ill try this later

did this, its pretty kool, but i found myself turn the nob counter-clockwise to raise the beam (facing the engine bay) anyone else?

great freebie-mod !!! :D

Last edited:
does this wwork with all the headlights? I have the non hid lights but put an hid kit inside. The pictures are out of order, made it look like you lowered the beams from the tape line.

what do you mean about adjusting your high beams when driving and all that? That must be for the auto levelling hids I assume.

my bad, yes i have the sport not the gt, I guess the gt comes with a leveling knob then? I think thats what i got from another thread

I will try to use a screwdriver and see if there is anyway to simply adjust my non hid headlights, even though I have an hid kit inside there.

Awsome tip. I just did mine. We'll see how they look tomorrow morning.

I did this, following the procedure in the first post, and found that it aimed the lights too high for my (and oncoming drivers) liking.
I dont want to be searching for the wheel to adjust down when there is oncoming traffic.

So then I readjusted the lights using the procedure at the link below, with the adjustment wheel at 0 (highest setting):

http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-HEADLIGHT-AIMING-PROCEDURE.pdf

Works great, I can see where I am going, and other drivers arent flashing me.
Then if you add weight in the rear (pax, cargo) you can use the wheel for a temporary downward re-adjustment for that trip.

Last edited:
i havnt had any problems with mine blinding others but i tend to drive around with an empty car. i have checked wi some of my coworkers and friends.

i havnt had any problems with mine blinding others but i tend to drive around with an empty car. i have checked wi some of my coworkers and friends.

Maybe mine was set different from the factory..... or I F'd up the procedure, anyway it is fine now.

*IMPORTANT* OP you should add this in your original post...

this is highlighted in the factory service manual for the ms3---

if you "loosen" (raise) the light adjustment screw at any time, you need to keep going past where you want to set them (higher), and then "tighten" (lower) them to the final position.

if you just "loosen" them to where you want and leave it alone, the screws will possibly work themselves loose after some time of driving.

i am unsure of how much "tighten" they need, but i went about 2 full revolutions to make sure.

Last edited:
Nice! I've always thought it was aimed too low. I will definitely give this a try when I get a chance.

i cant find that scre to regulate them in the left head lamp where the hell it is??

it literally is in the same spot as the right light, but on the opposite side. i know that sounds silly, but it's true. it's white, and there is a white gear attached to it. it might be obstructed a bit, but just keep in mind where it is on the other side and look in that same spot.

When you pull up the little "trap door" that's connected to the battery air intake, it's right underneath there...staring at you...with its beaty little cross eye, watching, waiting to be screwed...o_O

i thought the left one was the eisiest to find mabe it was beacuse of the CAI. there both at the back of there the hid bulb is.

I think I must be missing the point... So we just readjust the '0' level so it is now at the '1' level, but then it is recommended to keep it at the '1' level? What advantage does this gain?

Back