ridiculous (and awesome) gas mileage?

:
03.5 MSP
another thread to see if anybody else is on the same page as me...

lately, i've been getting awesome gas mileage, roughly 32 miles a gallon (averaged out over the past 10 or so fill-ups). i mean, i've only had this car since the beginning of april, but then it was getting like 25-26. (my driving route has stayed the same, if not MORE city driving)...

maybe it's supposed to be getting this good mpg, and the previous owner didn't take as good care of it as i do?

You are not alone. This spring/summer I have been getting constant 30-34 mpg. This is between a mix of highway driving, traffic jams, and regular street driving. In winter it drops by 2-4 mpg, but thats mostly cause I let the car warm up first before I drive which wastes fuel. Taking good care of the car does pay off, most importantly tire inflation, oil, sparkplugs, air filter, and the way you drive. Last fall when I drove to Michigan on a trip I came out with an average of 38 mpg, which was mostly a constant 75 mph on non stop highway road.

This year i've been getting in the 30s for City.

I've never gotten decent highway mileage above 25-27 due to the MP3s 5th gear ratio, pushing 3500 rpm going 75 doesn't help.

I average 30-31 mpg in the summer as well. You'll always get worse gas mileage in the winter, even if you don't let you car warm up. But yeah, simple rule is 0 mph = 0 mpg. Idiling kills mileage.

i wish i got that kinda milage. when i first got my car 3 years ago i averaged about 30-32 mpg, now i get between 23 city 25 highway. I tried doing some research on it and found that because here in connecticut almost all gas has 10-14% it makes for worse mileage. In not really sure the truth behind it, but for the time being it makes sense.

^did you mean 10-14% ethanol? If so, I'm pretty sure that would affect mileage...what's the octane you use which contains that 10-14% of "something"...?

yeah i left out ethanol, didnt realize, i use 93-94 octaine only.

Over here all our gas contains 10-15% ethanol, but I have never had a problem with it. It might have a small effect (1-2 mpg), but I wouldn't blame sub average gas mileage on the ethanol. If you have all your maintenance in check then that leaves only your driving style to blame. E85 (85% ethanol) gas on the other hand will defiantly show worse gas mileage.

as far as maintenace goes all is tip top and i don't beat on my car either. this past tank of gas i filled her up with super 94 and added a bottle of lucas octaine boost and i averaged 31 mpg, this morning i filled her up with cam2 102 octaine and i never had the car run better, when this tank is up ill post the mileage.

tank of gas just went up and i averaged 36 mpg on cam 2. so crappy gas is deffiantly to blame.

Interesting, bizarro. With my first two tanks of fuel with my '01 Pro, I averaged about 26mpg during the depths of winter. That's improved to 31-34mpg six months later during the summer.

Part of that is due to summer, and part is definitely due to me becoming much better at hypermiling the Pro.

YIKES! last couple times i've been getting 21-23 (all city) and the last time i wanted to see the best i could get so i drove like super slow and like accelled slowly... and then i got 25 (city).

What am i doing wrong!?!?!

p.s. my engine just hit the shitter and i think i'm getting a used protege motor... will this affect anything. and in my bad engine i took the spark plugs out just for kicks and they were very bad/worn/old <- would that make a big diff?

yup i get like 30 mpg every tank. happy with the results thought. thought it was cause of my granny driving skills. guess you guys drive the same too then =)

i checked mine 2 days ago and found that i got 30 mpg even after being stuck in traffic jams for 2 hours and alot of city driving. not to mention a few 90+ mph runs ;)

weird thing is i don't drive very slow either... i'm a 5 above the speed limit kinda guy. not to mention driving to work, i can go a steady 80-85 with traffic if it's not rush hour.

man you guys are making me jelous!!... any pointers to help me do better?

tires being fully inflated is a huge +

also being on top of your oil changes

i'm not going to say to drive slow because i don't, at all. (haha)... but there is something to that... try not to shift past like 4000 RPMs unless necessary. i usually go 3500 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. then 4000-4500 for 4th.

besides that... when driving with the windows down, don't drive with just the front two down, put the back two as well because it helps with some of the air resistance.

Back