Miles Per Tank

Diehonda

Alrighty, I am looking at getting either a Mazda 6s or Speed3 here in a few weeks.

How many miles per tank and per gallon are you all getting? This can be on the 4cyl or 6. Please advise if you have any mods, ac on, highway/city %, etc.

Thanks! I want to get a more specific real life data rather than the EPA sites that give you an estimate or sticker info.

I have a 2007 Mazda 6s with the V6 and 5-speed manual. I've had it just over a month and a half and it has 4600 miles on it. I am pulling consistently 480 miles per tank (I typically fill up when the low fuel light comes on, so its more like 16 gallons)...or 28mpg's. That is 75%-80% highway with the a/c on once in a while. I've seen as low as 26mpg and as high as 31mpg. Oh yeah, I have no mods and run Mobile 1 5w-20 synthetic motor oil.

Last edited:
I've got an '07 MS6 with a CAI and BPV on it, and with 10% spirited 60% highway, 30% city, I usually average about 26 mpg. If I'm totally beating on it, I'll get 21.5-22 mpg. Expect the MS3 to get slightly more.

I've got a 2006 Speed6 that's completely stock. I recently took a road trip down to Route 66 (about 325 miles round trip) and easily did it on one tank. When I returned home and filled her back up, I had gotten 28 mpg. That was with the A/C on the whole way and a several shots above 100 mph.

thsi car is suprisingly good on gas if u dont beat on it constantly..i have a CAI,FMIC, and a custom TBE..i still get about 380 per tank..

So the V6 gets a little better mileage than the speed 6 but both are still surprisingly high.

Does the V6 require premium gas? 91-93 octane.

Does the speed6 differ in performance when 91 octane is used vs 93? Not that there is a lot of difference but I can notice it with the step from 89 to 91 in mine. Throttle response is the first noticeable difference in mine.

Thanks for the great information so far!

So the V6 gets a little better mileage than the speed 6 but both are still surprisingly high.

Does the speed6 differ in performance when 91 octane is used vs 93? Not that there is a lot of difference but I can notice it with the step from 89 to 91 in mine. Throttle response is the first noticeable difference in mine.

You get ~50hp more with the MS6 vs. a V6 MZ6 (274 vs. 222 i think)

The V6 runs on regular 87 octane

The MS6 will run in a 'safe mode' where the wastegate opens at 4100 rpm so you can't get full boost, the car is made to run on 93+ for best results.

My car runs like dog s*** if i dont use 93. I wouldnt use anything less.

So you guys with the spped 6 get way better then me... i wonder y. I am getting 12.6 mpg. I drive ALL city about 16 miles per day and i cant figure out what to do to get my MPG up...

So you're getting about 200 per tank? Something is really wrong. I run my car pretty spiritedly and still get 24 mpg (2006 MS6, CAI)

So you guys with the spped 6 get way better then me... i wonder y. I am getting 12.6 mpg. I drive ALL city about 16 miles per day and i cant figure out what to do to get my MPG up...

Where are you shifting at? Are your tires properly inflated? What speeds do you typically drive at? Do you take off from red lights?

All of these can dramatically effect your mileage. I'd suggest shifting at 2000-2500 at the highest, stay out of boost like the plague. Start keeping track of your mileage from each tank, I'd bet that your mileage goes up just from monitoring it.

People with intakes, do you guys get better gas millage?

The two things that made the biggest improvement in mileage were the intake and when I switched to Total 5w-40 synthetic. My mileage went up about 5 mpg now since I switched.

I have a 2005 Mazda 6 with a MT and I4. I routinely get about 500 miles per tank. On the last tankful I decised to see how far I could go if I drove very conservatively. On that tank I drove 593 miles (with room to spare as I only needed 15.8 gals to fill-up again). This gave me an average MPG of 37.5.

To get this type of mileage, I never exceeded 58 on the highway (yes I was passed by nearly everyone - but not by much), I never exceeded 2000 RPM while accelerating, and I would glide in neutral as much as possible (including on all downhills).

While I don't consider myself a "hyper-miler", I wanted to see what was possible with reasonably normal driving and it looks like 37 for my combined highway and around town was possible. Keep in mind that I don't drive like this all the time (I have an SCCA racing licence racing Formula Fords, I've dragged a V8 Vega to 10.4 in the quarter, and I have a 67 427ci 435HP Corvette so I am something of a performance guy myself) but in these times it is important to conserve to the extent that we can.

15.8 gal? I thought the 6 had a tank that held 14.5 gal.

Are there different sizes? The EPA website shows 14.5 also.

Back