17K miles = New Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Stamperman

:
Mazdaspeed3 & Mazda5
Yep,
It's at the dealer right now while I drive around a smooth an stylish Chevy Equinox (BARF!). Made all the better by the rightous smell of cigarette smoke I might add.

Hoenstly though, has any one else had one of these die? It may have just been the idler pully. I don't have much faith that the woman from the dealership got it right in her phone message.

Either way, it's near the alternator and you will know if your is dying because it is super noisy.

Just trying not to tip the Chevy over until I get my car back.

just interested what symptoms were you having?

A very noticable rattle coming from near the alteranor. It vaires with the engine speed. I though a bearing was going out of the alternaor actually.

It would be hard to confuse it with knock. The sound it makes is what I could call a "somthing is getting ready to fall off my car" noise.

It is especially bad at startup.

yup I had that exact problem at 6,xxx miles. o well fixed for free and nothing to worry about nice to know im not the only one (cabpatch)

I brought my S3 to brake plus to get an oil change and the technician there pointed out a rattling noise around my right front tire. Closer inspection showed a worned/chewed belt. Brought it to the dealership and they determined it was a loose gnerator drive belt tensioner. They ended up replacing the tensioner along with the drive belt. My S3 has 7k miles when this was pointed out but i think it's been happening since about 3k miles. Best way to diagnose this is by listening to the car by the right front tire. You should hear a rattling noise that sounds like a chain knocking on metal.

Back