install kit to din radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered this kit.

I will keep you posted. I ordered this kit.

For under $25.00 through a local shop.

I also ordered the:
PAC SWI-X steering wheel control module $45.63
The Scosche Wiring Harness $7.68

Fingers crossed. For under $80 bucks I will have my Kenwwod double din in the "5" and intergrated with the wheel controls. Can't wait.. I miss my Sirius!

That is a lot better than the $125-150 to the door price of the other kit out there that you would still need to buy the module. I hear the PAC module takes time to program... I will try and get it installed in the next week or two.... I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
I Have just order it from ebay. in denmark the OEM kit kost 400usd (freak)(freak)(freak)(freak)(freak)(freak)(freak)(freak)

I recieved everything Friday. Now, I just need to find time to install. The dash kit looks really good tough.

I am itching to install... I don't like rushing!! So, This is kill me.. to wait .... Next week I hope!

Woooooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!

It's in. Pics to follow... Easy install. Fitment on the kit was decent.

Love having my sirius back.

Yeah, it works perfectly with the auto climate controls. Actually the knobs are in the same position for manual and auto climate controls so there are no issues.

I just finished an install this weekend with this adapter in my Grand Touring (used a Kenwood DNX 5120 for the head unit) and everything fit together perfectly.

The instructions that come with the kit are for a 2006-07 and don't talk about the new center console in the 2008 model between the front seats. If you have a 2008 model, you'll need to add these steps:
1. Slide both front row seats (passenger and driver) all the way forward in order to access 2 screws at the base of the console in the 2nd row (on the sides of the console below the rear AC vent). Remove those 2 screws.
2. Pull off the plastic cover on the console that makes up the cup holders and unplug the seat warmer plugs attached to the cover, if you have them.
3. After you pull off the cover, you'll see 2 5/16" bolts holding the center console down (the bolts are just below the aux input plug and cigarette lighter plugs).
4. When those 2 bolts are out, you'll be able to lift the entire center console (around the emergency brake) up and to the back.

Then the rest of the directions in the metra kit are correct. Hope this helps.

FYI, I purchased mine on eBay for around $30.

Quick question, attempted to do a head unit change on an 08 gt tonight and ran into a slight problem with removing the console components needed. I have copies of the metra guide as well as the crutchfield master sheet but both seem to be geared towards 06-07. I followed the instructions from the previous post about the center console. I had that out and was ready to remove the side panels to get to the supposed screw underneath. It appears that the side panel is one piece that has a screw from the outside. I didn't want to pull too hard on it not knowing where it was clipped to other pieces so i reassembled and figured I would tackle it another day. Any guidance as to the safest way to remove those side panels to allow the console around the gear shift to be pulled back to expose the screws holding the trim kit in?

Thanks in advance

Yes the entire dash base assembly is quite large... it extends from the drivers gas pedal up to the base of the AC controls and then down to the passengers side (and incorporates the gear shift housing - without the silver plate around the gear shift).

Be VERY careful pulling the entire base assembly out as there are 2 very stiff pull tabs holding the entire assembly to the base of the panel that the metra panel replaces (eg the stock radio unit housing). The 2 tabs are above and to the right of the 'left' screw, and above and to the left of the 'right' screw. Don't pull too hard or you'll crack your dash... like me :-(.

If I were to do the uninstall again, I'd actually try to remove the 2 screws holding the radio panel first and then pull the radio AND the entire dash base assembly out together (in order to get more room to work on those nasty pull tabs).

TC

I too noticed the slight gaps around the ac controls but think I can deal with them. However, any good suggestions as to what would work to fill in the gap in the middle of the two din areas, the gap between the radio and the pocket? I was thinking of some sort of a black foam of some sort but haven't taken any time to find something of the proper size to see if it will work.

I ended with those gaps around the A/C knobs and buttons too. It's appears the metra dash kit is just a tad too thick. But the gap isn't enough to worry about. Just not as nice a fit as the OEM dash... but much nicer sound, eh! (thumb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back