Mazda 6 Double Din, Yes it's getting done.

JinxKwB

:
2005 Mazda 6 i
Been working on my DD the last few days. Myself and another installer are making 2 different kits. One for a 07 Mazda6 and one for an 05 Mazda6 (mine).

The bezels are done on both cars, just need to finish our circuitboard work. I will post photos of the process and results in due time.

What is being done? I dont like moving the AC controls to the ashtray, looks tacky and the shifter gets in the way. I also dont like the idea of moving the unit DOWN instead of up... SO.... We did something different that I have not yet seen done.

Hazard was removed and relocated to the "blank" spots above the coin pocket. LOOKS PERFECT btw. Works like the normal hazard illumination and all.

The AC controls are being left in place where they belong. Only thing that is moving is the circuitboard that controls them. Have to do some tricky soldering work to get the job done, but the board will be remote located so that the buttons to control them will be in place.

I'm sure all the 6 owners will love to see it since we still do not have a working DD kit in the united states. I will keep you posted. Photos of the progress will come shortly, I did not bring my USB home from the shop with my photos on it so they will come soon. (cabpatch)

Here are photos of the progress from BOTH cars.
2005 6 Kit:
DSC02784.JPG

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

Hazard.JPG

IMG_0062.jpg

2007 6 Kit:
DSC00710.jpg

DSC00716.JPG

DSC00717.JPG

I have one photo of the unfinished Board, but it is currently in a PDF format. I will change it to a JPG and upload it later.
Here is the photo of the unfinished board.
mazda6.jpg

As you can see, NOT FUN or easy work. The buttons are surface mounted so this makes it even more difficult. This is why doing this for sale would not be cheap...

Last edited:
Have some photos of progress that I will post soon. Right now I'm just waiting to finish the Circuit Board. I will have photos of the 05 and 07 models up soon.

any chance of making a few of these to sell? ive always wanted a double-din setup. from what ive read it sounds like its going to be awesome.

any chance of making a few of these to sell? ive always wanted a double-din setup. from what ive read it sounds like its going to be awesome.

I have two other 6 owners that I work with that are bugging me about me and it's not even done. lol The circuit work is VERY difficult and to say the least it would be expensive to sell/ship. When you see the photos you will understand.

We will have to wait and see, it may happen.

i understand, ive seen pictures of other people that have made them and it looks pretty hard. but yours sounds way different. most likely ill just keep my normal crappy metra kit with the stereo i have now. plus i really dont feel like spending a grand on another stereo ;)

Nice, looks like you're on the right track! Can't wait to see what it looks like completed

Those are looking good. I like the new hazard button, can you tell us more about that? How was it made, and where are you going to put it? ...I know above the coin tray, but which spot? I think on Speed6's they are all full with headlight adjustment, instrument light brightness, and the DSC off button. Too bad, it would have been perfect since I'm looking for a place to add a stock looking switch.

If you do decide to sell these and depending on how it turns out, I would probably be willing to shell out some cash to get it.

Can't wait to see more pictures! :D

Those are looking good. I like the new hazard button, can you tell us more about that? How was it made, and where are you going to put it? ...I know above the coin tray, but which spot? I think on Speed6's they are all full with headlight adjustment, instrument light brightness, and the DSC off button. Too bad, it would have been perfect since I'm looking for a place to add a stock looking switch.

theres a blank spot in the speed.

Depending on which version of the 6 you have, you have a blank. The speed does not to my understanding. Though, it's all a matter of which you want in place more. Hazard, or DSC...

The button took a AWHILE to find. I did not make it, I FOUND IT. After looking at different cars over and over I ran into a 2000 Mazda 626. And I was shocked to see the button was THE SAME as the blanks. I asked a member on this forum to do a rough measurement for me, and it was extremely close. So I ordered it from mazdapartsonline. A whole $13.00 with shipping.

I had to find a way to wire it with a simple relay and a diode, took me about 10 mins. It fits perfect and works perfect. I just wired it into the illumination circuit and into the hazard activation wire at the BCM.

The board is the ONLY hard part about this install. Myself and another installer came up with the idea and decided to try it just based on the fact that we HATE how the metra kit looks with a single din, and how there is no good place to move the AC/Defrost buttons that is REALLY functional.

The solder work isnt easy, and it going to take some time. I still need to finish designing the new board and find new replacement switches; on top of that work is killing me, so it will be awhile before it is finished.

I'll keep you all posted.

what is the measurement of a double din? how big a hole should someone cut, if we want to do the same thing as you doing.
I have an 07 Mazda 6

thanks

Too bad this thread fell off. Would have been great to see the result. We can only guess that either A) it didnt work or B) he's having so much fun with it that he couldnt find time to post in the last 2 years! haha

There are two din kits out on the market. Shokits.com has the Kantechs kits listed.

-Derrick

There are two din kits out on the market. Shokits.com has the Kantechs kits listed.

-Derrick

That they do and on last check they are ungodly expensive. The double din kit and adapter cost nearly as much as the head unit I was looking to buy. I may still bite the bullet and do it, but I don't know if I want to spend. On the bright side with the head unit I am looking to get I don't need the Bose and steering wheel controls adapter saving me $200+.

Back