Fixing mazda's mistakes

mgerst1

:
2003.5 Mazda Protege MAZDASPEED Laser Blue Mica
I have an 03.5 MSP and so far i have the Secret Weapon intake system, tenzo-r vac/boost guage and am receiving my turbohoses hardpipe set. I plan on doing the upgrade to the bpv by putting the 1.5" nippleson the hotpipe and air intake and run the boostsciences rdv. is there anything else i need to do engine-wise to fix mazda's mistakes so i do not end up joining the zoom zoom boom club? i am using as a semi-daily driver and want to keep as stock as possible but want to fix the weak spots on this car.

Last edited:
I have an 03.5 MSP and so far i have the Secret Weapon intake system and am receiving my turbohoses hardpipe set. I plan on doing the upgrade to the bpv by putting the 1.5" nippleson the hotpipe and air intake and run the boostsciences rdv. is there anything else i need to do engine-wise to fix mazda's mistakes so i do not end up joining the zoom zoom boom club? i am using as a semi-daily driver and want to keep as stock as possible but want to fix the weak spots on this car.

definetly some type of engine management and do not get boost happy cuz mazda's biggest mistake is weak rods

new smic, midpipe, boost guage, afc

second...you must have at the min a new SMIC...makes a big difference, after that get the afc/unichip/take your pick then midpipe but the boost gauge I not a nice to have but a must on any turbo car, especially this one

forgot to put boost guage in list of mods, i didnt put it on the previous owner did so i always forget to list it. lol

what if i were to upgrade rods? i was already thingking of upgrading valves and pistons to something stronger but not necessarily in the interest of performance upgrading.

if you want to keep it as a fun daily driver just slap on intake, exhaust, smic and be done with it. maybe an afc and motor mount inserts.

what if i were to upgrade rods? i was already thingking of upgrading valves and pistons to something stronger but not necessarily in the interest of performance upgrading.
If anything just upgrade the rods! They're the biggest weak point in the entire engine. Most people just upgrade the pistons at the same time because the stock pistons must be machined to accept the floating wristpins on aftermarket rods
just out of curiousity why an upgraded oil pan, what is wrong with the one on there now?
The AWR pan has baffles in it to prevent the oil from sloshing around in the pan. Basically this prevents the oil from moving around too much so the pickup is always sucking up oil. A lot of N/A autox guys have gone through several engines just due to oil starvation from taking high-g turns at high RPM.

These are things that I would change, to fix mazdas mistakes, all 4 motor mounts or inserts, ATP wastegate, Midpipe, intake, hard pipes, SMIC, EMS, welded lsd and that should about cover it.

how expensive is it to have the lsd welded?
I was told some time ago that just the removal of the transmission, installation of an LSD and reinstallation of the transmissionby a shop would be comparable to the price of a complete transmission with LSD already installed. I plan on buying a built transmission with LSD in the future and just installing it myself because of this.

how expensive is it to have the lsd welded?

I wouldn't pull the LSD unless you are either really serious with experience or you have to for a clutch job etc..., cause once its off and back on you don't really wanna have to do that again...

I had a shop quote me 400 for that uninstall, weld, reinstall, and install a new clutch and flywheel. Pending I had all the parts. They said thats 2 days of labor.

Yeah I was talking to Ken at PG a while back and that's what he was saying. Either way I need to get a new transmission because I have the older '02 model which isn't as good as the '03 and newer transmissions found on the MSPs.

Since he wants to keep this thing as close to stock as possible but fixing the mistakes, then here's what you need to do:

Reconfigure recirc system (which you're already doing)
AFC (car runs pig rich from the factory)
AXR Clunk Fix (to fix the rear sway bar clunk)

If you're sticking as close to stock as possible, that's all you need. Otherwise, continue down the line:

SMIC upgrade
Welded LSD
Larger exhaust
Connecting rods

I am getting my new clutch and welded LSD put in as we speak..will tell you how much they charged me when I pick it up.

Back