alternator replaced / 65,000miles

i do a delievey route weekly that forces me to load my car up with newspaper.. its probably close to 700lbs.. if not more depending on the size of the paper.

so one afternoon during my delivery route my battery light came on, my route is about 35miles from home. this being only about 6 weeks after battery was put in.. so i kept going on the route, and the stereo shut off.. pulled into a parking stall and the car died.. tried to start it after i dropped off the papers, no crank.. i let the car sit for about 10 minutes and it cranked over.. i just threw it in reverse and got out of where i was *downtown, small city*. i right turned on red lights and did parking lot turns, rolling stops and whatever else i had too.. the whole time my airbag light was flashing, dash lights flickering, the car jerking and stuttering the whole time. i came up to another major intersection and was forced to stop.. i parked the car and got on the phone and called my dad up to get out to help me..

at the intersection i was blocking traffic, a police officer pulled up behind me and offered to give me a push through the intersection, just to get me out of the way, yeah, he scuffed up my bumper a little bit, ahem, it's a "bumper". he pushed down a hill and i wound up in front of a suburu dealership. i got on the phone and called up 2 different mazda dealers in my area, neither could get me in that day *friday*, or anytime sooner then tuesday. and the cost would be $400.

the first dealer told me easiest way to do the alternator was through the bottom.. pulling part of the axel. that aint happening. i called the 2nd dealer and he said it was easier from the bottom, but it was possible through the top.. i restated what he said, and he confirmed.. i hung up the phone and busted out my socket set..

i started unbolting and dismantling everything above the alternator *cruise control, strut brace, and something else, loosened up the a/c lines* my father arrived and helped me verbally with removing the alternator. i had done 1 previously on an old 87 lincoln towncar i owned, but this was 6 yrs ago if not longer.. i had a extremely hard time getting the pivot bolt out out of the mazda, but i got it. with it off the hinge, its just a matter of twisting and rolling the alternator up through the narrow area.

alternator out, to the part store. hooked it up and tested.. FAIL. i was never so happy to see something fail as i was at that time.. $180 for a new alternator and we were one our way back.. got it put back together and its been running good ever since then.. except for my bearing problem..

Had mine replaced just shy of 75000 miles

Long crazy story with this one.

In Feb, with snow storms.

Battery light comes on. Take it to Firestone.(bad idea) They tell me its the alternator. I have them replace it(stupid idea).

Now the weird part. While driving home in manumatic mode (so I can start in 2nd gear with the snow), the car automatically shifts into 3rd, gets stuck there, and the battery light comes on again.

This happens at random for a couple days, sometimes when on the interstate. (would downshift to 3rd and stay there while at 75mph, around 5k rpms!) Then I notice my drivers side low beam is out.

So I take it to the dealer. They test everything, say everything is fine. Replace the bulb, send me on my way. Car is fine for like 1 day, then it does it again while passing on the interstate. When I get home I notice that both my low beam head lights are now burnt out. (hmmm) Take it back to the dealership, they check charging system again, this time with radio on loud and with all lights on. (like how i driver) As soon as the fan kicks in the new voltage would drop to about 12V then jump to over 15V. This is probably what popped my lights. Had the dealer replace the alternator, and do a little writeup for Firestone (morons). They also replaced my headlights. Surprisingly the dealer actually cost less than Firestone (retards!).

Went to Firestone (Jackasses) and showed them everything and after talking with the manager, finally got all my money back! (eekdance)

Car has been fine ever since. No more weird tranny problems, no error lights.

So the moral of this story is... Firestone sucks. Don't go there. Ever. I still do this (bird) everytime I drive by there.

The dealer was so nice. They fixed everything for a descent price (at least I know it was done right, strange for a dealer too i know but they are good!) and gave me a loaner car while my car was in the shop there. (Merc Grand Marquis) -Which didn't start twice on 0 degree mornings. (don't buy fords!)

Also had the battery replaced at around 52000 miles.

I need to get that custom grounding kit.

Anyone else have strange happenings like this?

it seems pretty common with mazda's 99-up for all makes...workin at pep boys i've seen quite a few go through. only thing i've actuallt seen work on extending the life is a set of ground wires (to 4 points on the head and one on the altinator). dunno why it works but it does.

weak batteries kill alternators, it's that simple! keep your battery in top shape and your alternator could practically last forever!

also a good call...get a battery with a good 100+ stock CCA on it. optima yellow top for once i get the mulah

w00t! i had them put in a red top optima when they did my alternator last week

Back