Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 Or 3 A/C PART 2

Donated: $40
    Miata & NEMOC Moderator

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

okay, i need to do a little research, but i think the problem might actually be in the motor....?

Registered Member

bought the car new and it started doing this the first summer i had it...

really annoying...especially when the A/C kicks in and out while you're driving!

aaaahhhh...4 cylinders, gotta luv em

2001 Pro LX 2.0

RESOLVED! (so far... )

OK... so Y0sky and I took my A/C controls out. I took the fan selector switch apart in the back and dremmeled it down so I could get to the 5 connector blades. Then we popped out all 5 wires from the plug side. We then plugged them in, crimped them down, soldered them, and put it all back together.

So far... so good... all fan speeds work with no flickering etc. SOLID.

So no, it has nothing to do with the motor. It is strictly an issue with those connections to that switch over time. Maybe they loosen up just a bit and the two metals used are not very compatible for conductivity.

Had: 2003.5 Blazing Yellow MSP #880
    Have: 2001 Pro LX 2.0

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pyr0TeK View Post
    RESOLVED! (so far... )

OK... so Y0sky and I took my A/C controls out. I took the fan selector switch apart in the back and dremmeled it down so I could get to the 5 connector blades. Then we popped out all 5 wires from the plug side. We then plugged them in, crimped them down, soldered them, and put it all back together.

So far... so good... all fan speeds work with no flickering etc. SOLID.

So no, it has nothing to do with the motor. It is strictly an issue with those connections to that switch over time. Maybe they loosen up just a bit and the two metals used are not very compatible for conductivity.
    ya, i looked at the schematics and it would seem that the culprit is in the switch itself (there's nothing going on at the motor that would casue this kind of issue) it's always sounded like a bad connection to me, but if the soldering doesn't work....?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2001 Pro LX 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka joe View Post
    ya, i looked at the schematics and it would seem that the culprit is in the switch itself (there's nothing going on at the motor that would casue this kind of issue) it's always sounded like a bad connection to me, but if the soldering doesn't work....?
    Only other thing I can think of would be to get a small file of sorts to file both the inside blade connections and the connections inside the plug (after you pop them out. Then crimp the female (plugs themselves) tighter so that when you put it back together the connections will be tighter and make a better connection. I bet that would work. I am guessing some metal oxidation is occurring where the metals contact each other causing a poor connection for electrical current. That would actually be a pretty easy solution and I am betting would work just fine. This way you get to keep your stock plug etc... I just wanted to solder mine since I have seen it mentioned to be successful so far and didn't want to have to take it apart for the 10th time...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Yeah, cleaning the contacts and crimping them down was the first thing I tried last year. No idea why, but it didn't last very long. That's why I soldered it this time. 2 weeks so far. Not a single problem yet. Thanks PyroTek and the rest of you for posting your results!! I just have no clue why these contacts are such an issue. Most of the car's electrical are connected in a similar way. Now I'm worried!!

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

most of the time when you have this kind of issue, it's caused by over heating, either by poor connection (meaning loose) and or, too heavy a load (amps) for the wire/spades/connectors etc...???

Lancer Ralliart Sportback

Great write up - lets make it a stickee in the how-to section, eh?
    I used to have a
    Black Mica Protege5
    Mods:
    MP3 ECU
    Hawk Pads
    OBX Header
    AWR Mounts
    Tokico Blues
    Eibach Pro Kit
    Underdrive Pulley
    Kartboy Bushings
    ThermoBlok Spacers
    Kumho ECSTA AST tires
    Fabricated Ground Wire Kit
    VTCS-Less Intake (Ported)
    Fabricated SRI w/ K&N Filter
    Fog lights on with parking lights

Audio:
    Kenwood Head Unit
    Kenwood Mono Amp
    Custom 10" Enclosures
    Boston Accoustic 1" Tweets
    Rockford/Fosgate Punch 50

2001 Pro LX 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka joe View Post
    most of the time when you have this kind of issue, it's caused by over heating, either by poor connection (meaning loose) and or, too heavy a load (amps) for the wire/spades/connectors etc...???
    Actually, I did do one thing different...

Instead of popping that entire rotary switch out, I left it in and took it apart on the back side. It basically snaps together. Under that back cap you will see the connecting points/contacts. There is an electric grease substance on there and I cleaned some of that off, not entirely, but some of it. Not sure if anyone else took the switch apart like I did, just an extra tidbit of information.

Josh

Pyr0TeK and Weborific, are the a/c still working good??
    This a/c thing starts annoying as the summer progress...

Josh

Lancer Ralliart Sportback

Quote Originally Posted by mikeweb View Post
    Umm.. Dielectric grease is an insulator not a conductor
    Nope. Lithium (dielectric) grease is to prevent corrosion on electrical connectors because it does conduct.

I scrapped the conectors and reapplied new grease. Works today. I was too lazy to completely remove the switch...

2003.5 MSP Titanium Gray

Same thing happens with my car, i'm going to try this a/c kicking on and off just pisses me off....
    -MSP #187 279whp @15psi RPE built FS-DE bored .020" over, ARP main & head studs, cometic head gasket, K1 rods, Wiseco 9:1, Garrett GT2860RS .86 A/R, GHL 3" dp, Vibrant 3" exh, Ion Perf. FMIC, Greddy EManage Blue, JoeP mbc, Custom 3" short ram intake w/AEM Dryflow, RC 440 inj's, and much more.

Mazda3i Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Jspeed17 View Post
    Same thing happens with my car, i'm going to try this a/c kicking on and off just pisses me off....
    Me too, I just lost fan speed 4, so now I just have 1 and that won't cut it. I was looking at the board as the culprit as I have already done the pop the wire connectors out of the harness wire crimp method. I'm still not sure, it would seem that if I had a bad connection the fan just wouldn't work on those speeds, not the AC stop working. I'll try this method soon and let you all know my results.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by maxchao View Post
    Pyr0TeK and Weborific, are the a/c still working good??
    This a/c thing starts annoying as the summer progress...

Josh
    4 weeks here for me and still no problems!

2001 Pro LX 2.0

No problems here... A/C FTW! (all speeds!)

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast