Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 Or 3 A/C PART 2

Donated: $10

2013 MS3 w/ Tech

Big freaking CHECK off my list... This took more than 10 mins, once I figured out how everything was clicked and held together it went smoothly. I got it done with some screw drivers soldering gun and a hot glue gun. All 4 fan speeds work now instead of just 1 and a halfassed 4. Thank you for the great write up.

2002 Mazda Protege5

Sub

Registered Member

Mazda Premacy 1999

Quote Originally Posted by DeCaro View Post
    Hello, unless I missed something, I dont believe I read this issue.

I have been having all the same flickering issues for some time now. My A/C only works on the Number 1 setting. After reading this thread, I pulled apart my console to pinch the connectors for a temporay fix. Upon disconnecting the switch form the connector, I revealed this. See attached Pic. Does any1 think it could be a problem with the Blower Motor Resistor. I read a little about this in other forums.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Hi I have a 1999 Mazda Premacy and have found these threads really useful. I have the dead A/C and fan speed 4 issue too. I will be getting a new reisistor pack and hopefully that will at least get all my fan speeds back. I can't seem to find part numbers easily for the resistor but it is the slim version with 4 in line wires which are blue and yellow.

Looking at your photo and looking under my dash I have noticed that the area around the Air conditoning blower seems to get a certain amount of condensation which has cuased corrosion to the bottom of the blower unit. Maybe this condensation has got into your connector as it looks to have a rust colour to it?

One other thing I'd like to add regarding the DIY fix using resistors connected into the back of the where the radio goes...........the resistor pack is deliberately placed in the air ducting to allow air to blow over it and keep it cool ( I guess this is before where the air gets heated????) Anyway wouldn't the resistors behind the radio thing allow them to get hot and fail prematurely? Just a thought.

Registered Member pasadena_commut's Avatar

Protege5 2003

Quote Originally Posted by fatheroporridge View Post
    Anyway wouldn't the resistors behind the radio thing allow them to get hot and fail prematurely? Just a thought.
    The resistors in the fix are on a sense line to the controller, not inline with the fan. They have high enough resistance that the power dissipated there is minimal. A short circuit on the wire from the resistor pack to the resistor might heat up that wire, since it would take the resistor out of the circuit. That could potentially happen if the sense wire insulation rubbed through on a sharp metal edge. So be careful when routing those wires. (Or any wires, shorts are never a good thing.)

Registered Member

Hi, I know, I am bringing up an old post....please don't kill me!

I am new here, I have been on ClubMazdaProtege for several years now. I have been reading a lot on this AC flickering problem on other posts on Mazda247.

I just wan't to know, If I change my HVAC with the revised version (The good one), will it fix the problem? (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archi...123745623.html) Or is the problem still present even with the good module?

2003 Protege ES

Either way will work

Quote Originally Posted by wazosk8 View Post
    Hi, I know, I am bringing up an old post....please don't kill me!

I am new here, I have been on ClubMazdaProtege for several years now. I have been reading a lot on this AC flickering problem on other posts on Mazda247.

I just wan't to know, If I change my HVAC with the revised version (The good one), will it fix the problem? (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archi...123745623.html) Or is the problem still present even with the good module?
    I soldered mine directly to the module, works fine for me has worked for past 3 years

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyblink View Post
    I soldered mine directly to the module, works fine for me has worked for past 3 years
    Yeah I posted on another thread, I think my problem is more related to the HVAC module rather than the switch. I will try making the HVAC module Fix. Hope it works, but of what i've hear, it's magic and works everytime!

Mazda,Protege5

I soldered my wires to my fan switch last night, now I have all fan speeds except the light flickers between 2 & 3. I know my connections are good and solid, my guess the contacts on my switch are worn or pitted and either need to be cleaned or the switch needs to be replaced. My suggestion to anyone b4 doing this mod would be to replace the switch then solder the connections. If your a/c light turns off for any or some of your fan speeds your wiring could be to blame but that doesn't mean it'll fix all of your problems by soldering the connections. New switch+solder=

'02 P5 White

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseHelmet View Post
    If anyone's interested, I came up with a rather simple solution to this problem, full how-to here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123819018
    I've gone 3 or 4 summers now in SW FL without A/C on #2 and only sometimes on #3. Last night, me and a buddy (who also has a 2002 P5 with the flickering #2) fixed our cars with the solution that CheeseHelmet posted last year. So far, everything works just as it did when new. No flickering, not even when switching between fan speeds. A thousand thank yous CheeseHelmet!

Contributor

2010 Mazda5 GT | 2014 Kia Soul !

Quote Originally Posted by rjmhotrod View Post
    I've gone 3 or 4 summers now in SW FL without A/C on #2 and only sometimes on #3. Last night, me and a buddy (who also has a 2002 P5 with the flickering #2) fixed our cars with the solution that CheeseHelmet posted last year. So far, everything works just as it did when new. No flickering, not even when switching between fan speeds. A thousand thank yous CheeseHelmet!
    +1 million. Have thoroughly enjoyed having non-flickering AC this summer.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hank3 View Post
    +1 million. Have thoroughly enjoyed having non-flickering AC this summer.
    no love for the Ghetto fix? It's still working.

Registered Member

Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by L0w_N_sl0w View Post
    I soldered my wires to my fan switch last night, now I have all fan speeds except the light flickers between 2 & 3. I know my connections are good and solid, my guess the contacts on my switch are worn or pitted and either need to be cleaned or the switch needs to be replaced. My suggestion to anyone b4 doing this mod would be to replace the switch then solder the connections. If your a/c light turns off for any or some of your fan speeds your wiring could be to blame but that doesn't mean it'll fix all of your problems by soldering the connections. New switch+solder=
    Heading in the correct direction. This is my 3rd Protégé and they all have had the same issue. I have worked F-15 avionics for over 18 years now and I'm all about getting my tron on. The terminal connections could be part of the problem in some cases and the contacts inside of the switch might even get worn a bit. But the main issues is the wires themselves. Pull everything apart and grab a exacto knife and split each wire back about a inch and you will see that all the copper wire has corroded.

Quick fix but you will be back in there is just to use a wire brush to remove the green corrosion, then use some rosin of solder with flux built in and tin all the wires one at a time then tape them up.

The correct thing to do is to cut the wires back to good copper add new wire (I added two extra inches to provide more slack) by soldering it to the old wires you just cut. Slide on some heat shrink tubes, crimp on the new terminals that you can get at Radio Shack then use your heat gun and shrink the heat shrink. Put her back together and problem solved. I have not had a issue in the past 4 years now and have even fixed a few friends at work in the parking lot during lunch time. No flickering and no burnt socket and now all the wires are cool to the touch.

Registered Member Captaingnarnia_'s Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

This worked for me. For someone who has barely any auto knowledge this was a great explanation! Thank you, now I can enjoy my AC.

Registered Member

02 mazda protege5

Hello I am reading the solutions and before I hot glue and all I was thinking of Hotwire it to see if it will work. Mine only works on like 3.5 setting but when I hit wire it it acts the same as when it's hook up just the same as it was. Could someone help out? Plz

'02 Protegé5 / base

Well then!

The issue is outstanding in most Mazdas.

I'm having the exact same issue, so I'll learn how to do some soldering (or more likely buy out a friend who knows better to do it) and post back when I've completed the project in my little '02 Mazda Protege5.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast