In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 Or 3 A/C PART 2

Cool Solution To Flickering Fan Speed 2 Or 3 A/C PART 2

OK, so last year I found a solution to the flickering A/C light on certain fan speeds that worked for me and many others.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123678787

Basically, squeezing the contacts of the wires going to the fan speed with pliers solved my problem...for a while. The solution could last weeks, maybe months, then return. Well my problem came back this summer and taking 10 minutes to remove the bezel and squeeze the contacts worked...but then I decided to go all the way. I took everything apart and SOLDERED the wires to the fan switch. Now, I don't have ANY problems at all. I used to still get a slight flicker of the A/C light if I slowly turned the fan position switch between 2 and 3. This no longer occurs. The A/C light stays absolutely SOLID the moment the fan switch leaves position 0. I'm gonna post pics tonight or tomorrow. Hope this helps someone. Be cool....

EDIT:

OK, I just added the pics...
    FIRST, make sure your key isn't in the ignition!!!
    1) the switch
    2) I cut the black housing to expose the male contacts
    3) Plug-in the wires
    4) Solder the wires. Make sure you heat the contacts properly (ESPECIALLY the male) or the solder won't stick properly! Use flux, it helps. This is very important.
    5) Hot-glue the S**t out of the entire contacts. Let cool, then glue again. Make sure there aren't any contacts exposed.
    6) shown below...wrap in electrical tape for good measure
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (29.7 KB, 10051 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (32.1 KB, 9226 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (44.3 KB, 10207 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (123.3 KB, 11227 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (109.8 KB, 9491 views)
    Last edited by Weborific; 06-13-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Donated: $40
    Miata & NEMOC Moderator

2016 Miata Club, 2004 MSM, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

mine just started doing this...it seems to be it's the switch itself, not the connetctions??

i purchased a new switch from the dealer last year. didn't help. I don't know if the metal clips on the wires are too soft and come loose with vibration and temperature changes (expansion/contraction) or if the spacing of the male pins to the female plugs differ that causes them to lose contact with each other. In any case, I suggest cleaning the contacts and squeezing with pliers first.

Donated: $25

01 LX --> MP3 w/ better suspension!

What about a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts.. that might promote longer contact life...
    Engine/Exhaust: MP3 ECU&PnP IM, AEM CAI, All 4 AWR Mounts, Light Weight Crank,PS,&WP Pulleys, MSP (VC, Engine Cover, axelback), 4-1 Thunder header w/ MSP midpipe.
    Tranny: MSP LSD & Flywheel, GTX 5th, ACT (Clutch & PP), SS Clutch Line
    Interior: Pro5 steerin'wheel, ES blk interior, MSP Knob, DaveB Rings, MSP Cluster,Speakers,Pedals, Pioneer z140bh, Kenwood 300/4, Alpine 10"sub&amp
    Suspension/Brakes: Tokico HP's & RB Springs, MSP (RSB & Brakes), SS lines, ClunkFix, ALL of the chassis stiffeners except trunk cage, Miata 17"Rims, Pedders' LCA Bushings.
    Exterior: MSPMSP Bumper, JDM Tails, P5 Headlight w/ 5k HID projector retrofit, CATZ fogs 3k HID
    Install List: Rear Strutbar, MSP Turbo Kit

Represent'n Ohio

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

I thought about the dielectric grease too but from all the crazy things I read in that last A/C thread, it sounds like it would only be a quick fix and problem would come back.

Interested in the soldering idea though as I've been ignoring my A/C problem for a couple years now. Summers are getting hotter though! Subscribing...
    R.I.P. Mazda Protege5...June 2001 to July 2012

Picture 6...wrap in electrical tape
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (116.7 KB, 4665 views)

03 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    What about a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts.. that might promote longer contact life...
    Umm.. Dielectric grease is an insulator not a conductor

Donated: $8.08

02' Sport 20/Familia

Thanks! I have to try this. How long has it been working for you so far?

Former Mazda Owner

So far...it's been working for 2 days. yup, a FULL 2 days.... hehehe. Tonight, the slight flicker between position 2 and 3 came back a couple of times. But the A/C light has not flickered at all during any position....

Josh

Do you just remove the fan speed cover, the connector and pull the switch out?
    It starts doing this now, and it's really annoying. I will definitely try plier squeezing!!

Thanks

Josh

1) Remove the 3 knob selector switches by gently prying them off with a small flat-head screwdriver
    2) You can reach-in to where the knobs were and pull-out the bezel
    3) You can pull-out the top part of the bezel by sticking your fingers into where the vents are. Un-clip the wire harness for the hazard lights
    4) You SHOULD un-clip the 2 cables that control the temperature and vent positions
    5) You can un-clip the the wire harness at this point
    6) if just squeezing with pliers, remove each wire individually from the harness and squeeze with pliers.
    OTHERWISE...
    7) you will need to remove the box that contains the switch from the bezel by un-screwing 4 screws. 1 on each side, 2 on the bottom if memory serves.
    8) un-screw the 2 screws that hold the orange faceplate
    9) un-screw the white plastic nut that holds the switch in place

Hope this helps....

2003 Protege5

I would expect a flicker between positions, just not when it's in a NUMBERED position. Thanks for the thread!
    2003 Laser Blue Mica Protege5
    - Eibach Pro Kit Springs - Kartboy Short Shifter - Kartboy Shifter Bushings - Mazda6 Wagon Rear Wiper - CX-7 Antenna - Racing Beat Catback Exhaust - Kartboy Exhaust Hangers - XM Radio - DaveB Rings -

Josh

Helped a lot! I will try the plier method first, actually next time when I work on my head unit wiring. I found out today that if you take the HU out you can also work on the HVAC connector. But if not working on the head unit, then just remove everything might be easier.
    I really don't mind to do it every summer, as long as it can hold thru the summer I will be very happy!

Josh

2001 Pro LX 2.0

I swapped my controls out with another set I got from XedlerX's Pro5 partout. Same issue as I had before. A/C works fine on fan speed 1, but sparatic on 2,3, and 4. I'll be pulling my controls out probably tonight after I find my soldering gun. I would expect a small flicker between fan speeds as it is switching over to the new speed/wire. My A/C cuts off and on constantly on speed 2 sometimes when it acts up and cause the car to drive horribly do to the compressor kicking on and off every 1/2 second. I hope this fixes my issue for good. I'll post up my results also. Maybe snap some pix while I am doing it to show how to take the bezel off from the beginning.

Had: 2003.5 Blazing Yellow MSP #880
    Have: 2001 Pro LX 2.0

Lancer Ralliart Sportback

^That is why i don't just recommend swapping with a used part in this case - they all seem to have the same problem.

Perform the fix (see above).
    I used to have a
    Black Mica Protege5
    Mods:
    MP3 ECU
    Hawk Pads
    OBX Header
    AWR Mounts
    Tokico Blues
    Eibach Pro Kit
    Underdrive Pulley
    Kartboy Bushings