bent/f'd rims

06MSsix

so to add to the saga that is my lease take over of the ms6, I have found out that I have one slightly bent rim (which balanced fine, but is still bent) and another that has a small pin whole from being curbed. This is all due to the previous owner, I have put less then 300 miles on the car so far.

so here is my question, my mechanic informed me that at his shop, they replace bent/damaged mazda rims on a regular basis, and its his opinion that this may keep happening since I drive on bad city roads. That coupled with the price of new and refurbed mazda rims (new 600+, refurb 350+) he suggested i go aftermarket.

I would have to swap out the 4 new tires I purchased to the new rims, but that is only a little job. I wanted to get everyones opinon on this before I drop a ton of money on any thing.

thanks.

um..he mentioned that in his post. Too expensive.

um..no he didn't. The refurbished cost he mentioned is for dealer refurbished replacements for his wheels. If you go to a wheel repair shop, you should be able to get them done for cheaper than $300/each.

sorry I should have been a little more clear, I can get them repaired, as apposed to buying refurbed wheels (refurbs 300+ or so). the problem there is that I would have no car while my current rims were being repaired. That is the most cost effective option, but there is no garauntee that it wont happen again, and I lose my car untill the job is complete.

Actually now that you mention it, I suppose I could get a refurbed rim, slap that bad boy on, and get one of mine repaired at a time ... then I would have a full sized spare as well.

not sure about these rims though, are others having problems with them bending and cracking?

After my recent pot hole incident, I was informed that two of my rims are bent. Odd thing being, they were the two on the opposite side of the damage *shrug*. They also informed me that they balanced fine, but that I might want to pay attention to them in the future... however the hell I'm supposed to do that. I guess I'll just use it as an excuse to save up some money and buy lighter aftermarket rims.

^^ I was thinking along the same lines Calgary, but putting even more money into a car that I just got is pissing me off now. I'm going to have some words with the lady I got it from today, I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Back