Oil overfilled from factory?

FrequentFlyer

:
2008 CWP Mazdaspeed3
I've had my 08.5 for two weeks now and have about 1,000 miles. I decided to check the oil today and to my surprise, it looks like it was overfilled. I checked it about 10 times about 2 hours after I came home from work. The motor was still pretty hot (it was almost 100 degrees F here today in Jersey) and the oil level seemed to be up over the max, pretty much to that little jink in the dipstick. That can't be good. I guess I will change it soon. Just wondering if anyone else had this same issue.

Both times I have changed my oil, it ends up looking over filled on my dipstick. The first time, I put 5 quarts in, and then slowly added more oil as it approached "max" on the dipstick (adding maybe 1/20th of a quart at a time, maybe less). It went from 1/4" below to 1/4" above "max" with only adding about 1/20th of a quart of oil. The next oil change, I simply added 5.5 quarts right away, and it showed over filled as well. I stopped worrying about it. Clearly the dipstick is fickle.

I find that 5.75 qts works well. That amount puts me just below the full line where as 6 qts was putting me over the full line.

Well I guess there's always going to be some residual oil in there that you'll never get out when you change it (unless you leave it for days with the drain plug out), so putting the full 6 qt in there will put it over, although I'm not sure if being .25 qt overfilled is going to do any damage. Most likely not.

Both times I have changed my oil, it ends up looking over filled on my dipstick. The first time, I put 5 quarts in, and then slowly added more oil as it approached "max" on the dipstick (adding maybe 1/20th of a quart at a time, maybe less). It went from 1/4" below to 1/4" above "max" with only adding about 1/20th of a quart of oil. The next oil change, I simply added 5.5 quarts right away, and it showed over filled as well. I stopped worrying about it. Clearly the dipstick is fickle.

+1

Yep, mine is always overfilled even with the recommended amount. It's been that way from day 1 and yes, it did come that way from the factory as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back