Blown Head Gasket in my GTX?

mathblaster

:
1988 Mazda 323 GTX
I think I blew the head gasket on my GTX. I was driving along the highway going up hill at 70mph. I lost a little power then a lot more, it stuttered a bit. Luckily I was just at an exit and pulled off. There was white smoke from the engine and then a puddle of coolant under the front drivers tire. I can't see a coolant hose that burst/came loose. I do have a MBC that is set to 9.5 psi, its below the factory fuel cut off.

Is there anything I can check that will tell me it is definitely the head gasket?

I guess I'll get a cometic gasket and ARP studs. Is there anything else I should look into? And how hard is it to swap the head gasket? I do have a shop manual on CD.

Thanks for any help.

The headgasket isnt that hard to do, but if its by ureself, expect a full days work ahead of you, if you are familure with how to dissassemble the head/block. If it has had any history of overheating, or if its overheated anytime, you will need to have the head machined. Also, unless you want to replace the piston rings, dont reseat the valves, or else, you will blow ring material all over the engine. If the head looks good, and the valves are somewhat dirty, leave it, otherwise, rebuild.
Where is the coolant under the care comming from? Can you get any better look? It could be any number of places. Coolant lines for the Turbo, inlet pipe for the lower radiator hose, etc. Check them all out. While the car is parked, it would be smart to have the radiator examined and cleaned by a professional.

Anymore info on the problem can help us help you. But if you have white smoke, and/or maybe a hesitation under boost, You are sucking in coolant into a cylinder or two.

It never over heated. The temp gauge was always in the middle. The incident happened about 2 weeks ago and I was not too happy when it happened. I didn't get a good look at the coolant leak, too much smoke/steam. I'll poke around tomorrow and I'll see if I can figure anything else out.

All I planning on doing is pulling all the stuff off the head, then unbolting the head, scrapping off the old gasket, remove old studs. Replacing the gasket, replacing the studs and putting it all together. I have a gates timing belt, I'll probably do that as well.

I don't want to be fooling around with the valves. I want to be in and out without messing with anything else. The less I touch, the less I can mess up...

Back