Manual Transmission going...replacement options?

jrsmith

:
2005 Mazda 3 Sport GS
Hey guys,

I've got a 2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0 with I believe the G15M-R Transmission. The 5th Gear Synchro died about 4 weeks ago, so i'm driving it "old school" for the time being! So i'm contemplating the smartest way to repair / replace it.

Now I did have a problem with this transmission before it started showing any problems, which is that at 100 Km/h I am almost at 3000 RPM, which isn't exactly the ideal RPM for highway driving.

Are there any different "models" of the G15M-R that offer a lower fifth gear ratio than my current one?

Thanks,

Joel

Last edited:
My fifth gear actually works fine...it's the synchro that is non-functional. Are they in the same spot?

Now I did have a problem with this transmission before it started showing any problems, which is that at 100 Km/h I am almost at 3000 RPM, which isn't exactly the ideal RPM for highway driving.

Are there any different "models" of the G15M-R that offer a lower fifth gear ratio than my current one?

All Proteges have a pretty close-ratio gear box. Check out this thread though: http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/showthread.php?t=123618318&highlight=5th+gear+kit

The people wondering if it changes 1st gear or reverse gears are stupid, ignore them. They don't know how a manual transmission works.

Back