Issue with New MS3

mmills416

Just got my car yesterday. It only has 65 miles on it. Does the ECU regulate the boost low when the car is new? Sometimes the car has great power and other times its a turd. I was told by a very experienced Mazda mechanic that the ECU is adaptive and inconsistant for about 300 miles. He said it is a sort of self imposed break in. Anybody else heard this?

1 & 2 gear are boost regulated to reduce wheelspin and the chances of breaking something.

Below 3000rpm there's not much power to be had.

Above 6000rpm there's not much power to be had.

This is all normal.

you really should not be beating on the car and taking the turbo to redline during the break in period. i would wait until at least 500 miles.

i wonder if perhaps if the oil seal issue in the turbo has anything to do with break-ins not being respected? not trying to start a fight here or take the blame away from mazda on that, but the thought has occured more than once to me.

i wonder if perhaps if the oil seal issue in the turbo has anything to do with break-ins not being respected? not trying to start a fight here or take the blame away from mazda on that, but the thought has occured more than once to me.

That is exactly the same reason why my MS3 has 1800 miles, yet it hasn't seen more than 4000 RPM. But then again I get people telling me to drive it hard for a better break in. My sentra has given me 9 years of trouble free service even though I beat it up every so often, so I'm sticking to my theory of easy break in.

+1

I waited until i had 5,000 miles to be extra safe :) but 3,000 should be good enough.

Damn! I would still be breaking in my car 1 1/2 years later! Got about 8000 miles on her right now. My bad manual skills early on self-imposed my break-in. I rarely got it above 3000-4000 rpm then, just wasn't very skilled, shifted early, babied it. Now I still rarely go over 5000 rpm, but frequently shift at 3500-4000 rpm. The only thing I was told was to not use the cruise control initially and to vary speeds.

Mine's at about 1,300 now. Redline only a time or two, but taking it into the top of the power band more now. Mostly babied, though.

I flored mine after 500 I did sport breaking tested by racing teams
4th gear pull 20% throttle X3
and so if i will find link i will put it

I waited until 900-1000 until she really saw any boost and she's been redlined maybe 2-3 times, only once by me (wife took the car out one night and probably redlined her and a mechanic friend, who's fiance has a white Mazda3 and he wants a white MS2 drove it and he redlined it once)

All 3 times were within the last week, close to 1800 miles on it. @ 2300 already.

I waited until 900-1000 until she really saw any boost and she's been redlined maybe 2-3 times, only once by me (wife took the car out one night and probably redlined her and a mechanic friend, who's fiance has a white Mazda3 and he wants a white MS2 drove it and he redlined it once)

All 3 times were within the last week, close to 1800 miles on it. @ 2300 already.

thats cool your wife likes the speed lol but i would NEVER let anyone i didnt know drive my car...actually..ive never let anyone drive my car lol...

Not much point in redlining anyway, it runs out of steam before then.

I've noticed the variable nature of the power too. Usually it's good, sometimes lethargic, sometimes OHMYGODTHISTHINGISFAST!

Just got my car yesterday. It only has 65 miles on it. Does the ECU regulate the boost low when the car is new? Sometimes the car has great power and other times its a turd. I was told by a very experienced Mazda mechanic that the ECU is adaptive and inconsistant for about 300 miles. He said it is a sort of self imposed break in. Anybody else heard this?

that tech is right and please call the tech's not mechanics they learn how to work on these cars not by breaking them apart but by studing each part of the car and how they work ,not like mechanics that just replace things

any way he is correct the cars ecu will adapt to your driving skills within 500 miles also i feel like a car should be broken in depending on usage example . if you drive high way alot or city etc...

Back