Why there is no trip computer?

PolarBear

:
Mazda 5 GT 5 spd
Interesting why Mazda decided not to include trip computer even to GT when Mazda 3 GS and GT have it.

I was disappointed about it too, which is one of the many reasons why I bought the GT. I thought it would have it because my MS3 GT has it. Either way, I still like it.

I don't own one, but I 2nd the notion towards the ScanGaugeII. Not only is it customizable with a wide array of data to display, but it also can be calibrated to be pretty darn accurate. With an OEM system, you're locked into whatever algorithm that Mazda programs into it, and OEM systems can be wildly inaccurate. For example, my wife's Solara trip computer is always off by at least 2 MPG on the trip odo... not drastic, but enough to make it somewhat worthless.

All that being said, I can't speak for the accuracy of Mazda's system, it may have better logic.

Thanks, I think I'm convinced enough to purchase one shortly. It's a nice gadget to have.

A couple years back, I remember seeing a thread about how to "unlock" the trip computer function on Mazda3's. I never bother checking to see if would work in the 5. Maybe it's already there and we just need to figure out how to access it?

I did a search in the 5 forums and they tried the same button combo as the 3's and it doesn't work. I'm guessing the reason it doesn't work is the 5 doesn't come with it in any trim so it wouldn't have been installed at all.

Actually, don't the Canadians get a trip computer?

There was a pic in a thread about LED tailights that showed a trip computer in the Mazda5 dash data/audio display, It was labeled in liters.

Actually, don't the Canadians get a trip computer?

There was a pic in a thread about LED tailights that showed a trip computer in the Mazda5 dash data/audio display, It was labeled in liters.

No. Canadian models don't come with a trip computer either. I think the picture you refer to was on an Asian version. My BIL has a 5 (he is in Taiwan), although it's pretty much the same car, there are quite a few features I'd love to have in mine. (for one, they get a lot more storage spaces. look at the inside of the sliding door, don't you think something is fishy?)

I have a new 2008 stormy blue mica mazda5 from Canada and it has a trip computer on it. Trip A and Trip B.
Not the one on the gauge cluster, the one above the radio. In the display that shows your radio station and ambient temperature, the trip computer will show your fuel info. Miles until empty, average mpg, current mpg, and average mph.

I've searched and found posts where people mount the Scangauge on the steering column. Is this the consensus location for the 5?

If you want to get creative I think you could mount it in the cassette location on the radio and have it flush mounted.

I like it on the steering column.

Insert plug into OBDII port (located at your left knee in cubby hole). Attach wire to ScanGuage. Attach velco to steering column. Done.

Follow directions and insert engine size, etc.

Fill up car, drive, when near empty fill up again, make fuel adjustment at "Fillup" screen. I think mine has an 8% adjustment on E10.

Insert plug into OBDII port (located at your left knee in cubby hole). Attach wire to ScanGuage. Attach velco to steering column. Done.

Fill up car, drive, when near empty fill up again, make fuel adjustment at "Fillup" screen. I think mine has an 8% adjustment on E10.

When I had the scangauge installed, it appeared that using the cruise control was actually detrimental to the fuel economy. rweatherford what have you concluded about this?

Also on a side note about the factory trip computer, it appears as if it is not a function of the audio system (on mazda3 you activated it thru the audio system). A forum member baco from belgium just installed his duble din stereo, and his trip computer still functions.

i see.. what is the good price ???

Back