MAZDASPEED 6 CAI (GRMS-8M-H32) - Discontinued

benito

:
Mazdaspeed 6
Hello all,

I tried to buy a Mazdaspeed CAI for my Speed6, and the dealer told me the part (GRMS-8M-H32) is discontinued from Mazda. The guy had one in stock, but he's not allowed to sell it to me. He told me that Mazda had problems with that part (some water went through it or something, and some customers not removing the part during winter...). Does anyone know if Mazda will release another CAI for the Speed 6 ? Also, I'm hesitating of putting another brand (Injen, Fujita, AEM, ...) on it; since I got a lease and if I get problems could run under warranty issues with the dealder; any ideas ?

thanks !

Just buy Mayaman's, I don't think Mazda will be releasing anything new for the 06-07 Speed 6, they got a whole new 6 coming out to work on! As it was, the Mazda intake was just rebadged AEM intake from what I hear

I actually bought one today. I was told that Mazda was reworking them and that they'd have more ready to ship by mid-June.

For me I kept throwing a p2187 code and they later blamed the intake. Well Its my own personal view that the dealer being mazda have no ideal what there talking about. Through my own research I found that useing better gas like bp exxon or sunnco... do not use shell wawa ect.... caused the code to go away and not come back. later on the dealer came up with a new theory that the cai was causing the air to swirel differently around the MAF and thats what caused the cel. I really do not think they being the dealer know whats up with the car... sorry back grammer.

Mayaman, Why are you selling it if it completely new? If you still have it I might be interested in it.

Put in on my (friend's) credit card, please

I would assume so. The GRMS-8M-H32 was the original, and they always have alphabetic revisions (i.e., A, B, etc.) as their trailing letter. Go for it and let us know.
I figure to follow this up with Mazda on Tuesday, and with AEM too. The GRMS-8M-H32 from AEM was CARB-certified. It is hard to imagine Mazda modifying the part .. so maybe AEM can tell me if something has changed.

It is a little pricey on ebay. Hard to imagine the part cannot be had for $50 less.

Maybe I just go for it! (dance)

Did it!

I figure to follow this up with Mazda on Tuesday, and with AEM too. The GRMS-8M-H32 from AEM was CARB-certified. It is hard to imagine Mazda modifying the part .. so maybe AEM can tell me if something has changed.

It is a little pricey on ebay. Hard to imagine the part cannot be had for $50 less.

Maybe I just go for it! (dancing man was here)
I phoned an online dealer site (onlinemazdaparts) and asked for some assurances that the two parts were the same .. different part nos. only. Paraphrasing and distorting what I heard: "The GRMS-8M-H32 parts in our stock have the flow straightener included in the box." This was not always the case, so it seems like I could get one of these earlier parts (i.e. use the earlier part no.). The newer part no., then, is just an update to the GRMS-8M-H32 and always includes the air flow straightener for the MAF sensor "issue." Works for me! I ordered the old part no. and saved $8. $300 shipped.

The primary reason for this choice vs. a SRI is the notion that this car may end up at the dealer after some mechanical that prevents me from putting the stock airbox back on the car. Same with the branding (Mazdaspeed vs. AEM) although I also don't know if AEM is shipping the flow straightener.

Looks like something that I can install next weekend. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone have a picture of what this flow straightener looks like? I have one of the original MS CAIs and am curious as to what it is.

I am also curious about this air straightener. The MS3 guys got much better results when this was installed, I would imagine the MS6 would be the same. Please post pics of it when you get the intake.

Air Flow Straightener for MS3

I am also curious about this air straightener. The MS3 guys got much better results when this was installed, I would imagine the MS6 would be the same. Please post pics of it when you get the intake.
Air Flow Straightener for the MS3
The install in the MS6 will be next weekend. I will take some pics and document the pleasure (pain) of the installation process. It seems like it should be very simple, but I have not had such good luck with engines. Seems like I am always looking at a left-over bolt, nut or lockwasher in my hand after "finishing" the job. I better sign on a good assistant and hide the beer until after the install and test-drive.

interesting.

i'd consider picking up one of those to try out in my AEM....

Please scan or take pics of the revised install instructions with that air straightener if you can. I'll be ordering one if there's a way to install it on the v1 intake.

Wtf

Please scan or take pics of the revised install instructions with that air straightener if you can. I'll be ordering one if there's a way to install it on the v1 intake.
The box arrived. Best I can tell this is the H32 and there is nothing distinguishing about it to call it the H32A. That is to say, if there is an extra part, then I don't appear to have it. I will e-mail Jason now and call in the morning.
Perhaps I am missing something? It does happen.

2009-06-04:
OK. So Jason (parts guy) is gone until Monday. Bummer.

On the positive side, the Mazda labelling shows it shipped out in '09? The directions are labelled 11/23/05.

2009-06-05:
A friend with an AEM called for info. to see if the "designers" of the CAI had knowledge of any mods. Nothing was offered. The AEM part has a CARB exemption for 2006, but no mention of 2007. AEM vs. Mazdaspeed: tolerances. I don't believe it, but what to say.

I phoned Mazda. The return phone call that was promised never came. I asked about the "STOP" on sales and installation, as well as the new part number.

Looked at kit on the garage floor. Phoned ten places for the 3.5mm allen key. Right. Great. Substituted a 8-32 x 6/16" standard socket head bolt for the 3.5mm 8-32 x 5/16" bolt (1/16" longer). Installed the CAI .. ah, yes, throwing caution to the wind, I got a little dirty. Two hours, including clean-up. A little tight getting the resonator out. Otherwise, this was easy.

How far did I drive before noticing the difference? A few feet! Blipped the throttle and the car jumped! It is certainly more spirited, but alas, I was good for only a few miles this evening.

Tomorrow, I have about 100 miles of driving. Looking forward to it!

I will update this thread when Mazda phones back.

NEAT!

Last edited:
Back