Protege5 - How many miles have you gone before changing the timing belt?

Cost me and my wife ~$300 back in March to have her timing belt, water pump, seals, and etc. changed out in her '02 Protege. 12-month warranty on work and parts. Local mechanic.

^^^^Damn I might have to come back to Tallahassee to get mine done. lol My mechanic quoted me over $800 and that was 2yrs ago!

I'm just shy of 134k on mine....

Cost me and my wife ~$300 back in March to have her timing belt, water pump, seals, and etc. changed out in her '02 Protege. 12-month warranty on work and parts. Local mechanic.
that is a deal dude! i was quoted 500 3 yrs ago

that is a deal dude! i was quoted 500 3 yrs ago

+1. When I did mine last fall, I called around for s**** and giggles, and the cheapest I was quoted was $650. The dealership wanted $850! Of course, it all depends on how much they charge for labor.

I just bought a 2002 with only 36.5k on it...do I need to be concerned about the timing belt due to age? It has such low miles, and it's not recommended to be changed for a LONG time still. Any advice?

Just inspect the belt at 60k like the manual says, and you'll be fine. They don't give a "60k or 5 yrs" listing or anything like that, so I wouldn't worry about how old the car is.

Just inspect the belt at 60k like the manual says, and you'll be fine. They don't give a "60k or 5 yrs" listing or anything like that, so I wouldn't worry about how old the car is.

Sweet, thanks for that. I've never heard of an age limit on a timing belt, but I've also rarely seen a car this old with this few miles, so I just wanted to make sure.

Anyone know how much the parts would cost and where should i buy them besides the dealer? the belt, tensioner, water pump and anything else like gaskets or whatever else is needed. I would do the work myself since i will be taking off my intake manifold soon anyway so i might as well do the rest too.

I just ordered parts from rockauto to do my timing belt, they seemed to have the best price. They have the Gates timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, idler) for $130, tensioner spring was another $3, valve cover gasket $20-30, water pump $35-70. I decided to go ahead and change the serpentine belts $20-25 and cam/crank seals $10-15.

I just did my timing belt, water pump, tensioner bearing & tensioner spring, valve cover gasket, & $60k service for $1200 at the Mazda Dealer. My 03 P5 has $161k.

I just did my timing belt, water pump, tensioner bearing & tensioner spring, valve cover gasket, & $60k service for $1200 at the Mazda Dealer. My 03 P5 has $161k.

What was included with the 60k mile service - new brakes and calipers on all 4 corners :cool:? I think you got ripped off.

I just ordered parts from rockauto to do my timing belt, they seemed to have the best price. They have the Gates timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, idler) for $130, tensioner spring was another $3, valve cover gasket $20-30, water pump $35-70. I decided to go ahead and change the serpentine belts $20-25 and cam/crank seals $10-15.
Thanks. I will keep this post in mind when i decide to do mine and im thinking i will do it after another 40k miles as i have 110k now. i don't really abuse my car so i think the belt will last another 40k as i haven't read a post where it broke around the recommended interval yet.

It really all depends on the car to be honest... heat cycles are not kind to rubber! Just like rad hoses they get soft after awhile. I had the T-belt changed on my old pro for 125 plus parts and the stock belt was about shot around 130k.

173k!

Still the original Timing Belt. However, my head gasket leaks like a mo-fo. Maybe it's time to crack it open?!

wow you really got ripped off.

i got mine done at 160K for about $400 including parts

water pump, all belts, gasket. and of course the timing belt and tensioner

I didn't change mine until around 125K, took it to the shop and he said it was about ready to fall off. I live in Utah, so I have the extra stress of cold/hot cold/hot temperature stress on the belts.

Really timing belts aren't something to neglect, its MUCH cheaper to replace a timing belt than it is to have a valve job.

how so? I paid the same for mine as well. Thats all OEM parts, plus the piece of mind that if anything happens during a 12/12,000 period of time the dealership will pay for it..

I had the tbelt, wpump, drive belts, tensioner spring, valve cover gasket, 60k service, m/t fluid replace with synthetic amsoil, front & rear brakes, and a detail.

The other guy didn't mention these things. Of course all of that is going to be over $1,000. What was all included with the 60k mile service?

Does anyone know how long the water pump is suppose to last?

How would i know if the pump needs to be replaced , what signs should i look for when its going bad ?

Im at 148k km and still on the original pump. I dont want to replace it and pay $$$ if its still in good working condition.

Last edited:
Back