Protege5 - How many miles have you gone before changing the timing belt?

I waited until 165K to change my belt. Wish I would have changed the tensioner with it. Otherwise all appears well.

I'm at almost 190,000 and I haven't changed it yet. I bought everything over the winter but haven't set a weekend to do it. I've read that it can be a pretty laborious task. I should have done it when I changed the crank pulley. I don't really want to get into it and then not be able to finish. That would be bad. Then again I don't really want it to break on me either....

This thread makes me feel so much better. I thought my car needed a new timing belt soon in addition to the multitude of other work it needs. I'm at 58.5k miles and thought I had to do this at 60k.

Where can I see the rest of the proteges scheduled maintenance?

This thread makes me feel so much better. I thought my car needed a new timing belt soon in addition to the multitude of other work it needs. I'm at 58.5k miles and thought I had to do this at 60k.

Where can I see the rest of the proteges scheduled maintenance?

In your manual!

'02 Protege 5 timing belt replacement

My '02 P5 has 154,450 miles (in California) and I'm going to replace my timing belt tomorrow. I know it was supposed to have been done at 105,000, but... I don't at all recommend procrastinating on something like that but I guess I lucked out. I wouldn't wait so long again as it could have cost me big time.

My car has been super reliable and I've been really pleased with the P5. The only work I've done is normal services, tires, brakes and the top o2 sensor ($30. on the net and I wired it in myself). I don't beat the car, but I drive pretty normal and am always conscious of how it's running. The only mods I've done is to add a K&N air filter element in the stock air box.

I'm planning on replacing the t-belt, the tensioner spring (it's only $4), valve cover gaskets, H2O pump, coolant, and to check the tensioner and idler (they make no noise now) and the seals.

Am I on the right track? Does anyone else have some suggestions? One last question- I saw an ad for SLR chips and they make some very big claims as to what I could gain in the HP and mileage areas. Anybody have any experience with chipping the P5?

Last edited:
around 60k... something started squeaking so i got the belt changed. no more squeaks.

My '02 P5 has 154,450 miles (in California) and I'm going to replace my timing belt tomorrow. I know it was supposed to have been done at 105,000, but... I don't at all recommend procrastinating on something like that but I guess I lucked out. I wouldn't wait so long again as it could have cost me big time.

My car has been super reliable and I've been really pleased with the P5. The only work I've done is normal services, tires, brakes and the top o2 sensor ($30. on the net and I wired it in myself). I don't beat the car, but I drive pretty normal and am always conscious of how it's running. The only mods I've done is to add a K&N air filter element in the stock air box.

I'm planning on replacing the t-belt, the tensioner spring (it's only $4), valve cover gaskets, H2O pump, coolant, and to check the tensioner and idler (they make no noise now) and the seals.

Am I on the right track? Does anyone else have some suggestions? One last question- I saw an ad for SLR chips and they make some very big claims as to what I could gain in the HP and mileage areas. Anybody have any experience with chipping the P5?

I've heard about these also, my general rule of thumb is if it sounds too god to be true......

I'm at 66k miles, and I believe mine is due for a change.

My car is squeaking pretty loudly within the engine bay, and I assume its the belts. It really is annoying, can hear it clearly when I'm stopped or on idle. I've also been smelling what seems like burned rubber from the same area (even when I'm not driving stupid) so that cant be good. Anyone agree?

Goin to the shop this weekend, hopefully I wont get murdered

^You have a loose accessory (Perhaps the alt?) belt not timing belt. Get them inspected & tightened. Timing is not due until 105K miles.

I have 134k on mine right now. Going to do the belt next weekend (I hope)

Back