Protege5 - How many miles have you gone before changing the timing belt?

Changed mine right after I bought it at 71k. Belt looked new. I've broken a timing belt before (at under 100k) but that was an old '86 B2000. Mazda mechanic says they are a lot better made these days. Says the danger is not in breaking, but you could lose a tooth or two. I probably could have waited, but glad I didn't, if that makes any sense...
(drive2)

What the belt looks like is not the entire problem...you also have to look at the tensioner. In my case the tensioner was loose & the bearing was worn, which can cause the belt to slip a cog or break...at best case you go from zoom zoom to stop stop! Glad I had it done when I did!!!

I bought it in Aug 06 with 39000 and I haven't changed my belts yet. Don't know what happened previously, but I doubt they changed it either since the original tires were still on it then. ( I made it to 65000 miles on the original dunflops!) By that time all 4 treads had started separating. Got them replaced just in time. Can anyone beat that?

But I digress. I've inspected the timing belt and I couldn't see any cracks in it at all. Mine still looks great. I'm going to wait until at least 100,000 miles.

I gave up my dunflops @ 35K..too loose in the wet...65k!!??& the treads letting go?..too long for me. When the tread bars are close to showing up--time to put new rubber on!

Hehe, I got rid of my stock tires at 55K and thought it was a lot! They were beginning to wear like ripped jeans... no joke.

Back on topic...

Mazda genuine parts ftw (referring to the durability of the timing belt).

I gave up my dunflops @ 35K..too loose in the wet...65k!!??& the treads letting go?..too long for me. When the tread bars are close to showing up--time to put new rubber on!

Yeah. It got way out of balance from the crappy roads here and was wearing really bad on the inside so it was hard to see. The car started wobbling bad so I checked all around really well one day and noticed the separation on the front tires. I took it in and got the new ones and they said that all 4 were separating and that I was lucky one didn't pop. Glad I had stopped driving on the interstate for a while and taking sharp corners from the wobbling. Now I've been keeping things in check a lot better.

I'm over 129,000 miles...haven't changed it yet. Someday when I'm not so lazy.

Mine first changed at 206K Miles I think. I asked original owner when he had changed it and got a dumb look. So I immediately changed it upon delivery. Sure enough, a very worn shiny looking belt with no branding, just a few numbers and "Made in Japan" - sure looked OEM. He lived in northern IL, so it saw sub-zero temps. Mazda wants 60K mi intervals at that temp. range. And the mfg date on the car is 12/30/01, so it went about 6 years - I think 5 years is also a recommended limit. But hey on a non-interference engine, maybe he could afford to live dangerously.

Mine first changed at 206K Miles I think. I asked original owner when he had changed it and got a dumb look. So I immediately changed it upon delivery. Sure enough, a very worn shiny looking belt with no branding, just a few numbers and "Made in Japan" - sure looked OEM. He lived in northern IL, so it saw sub-zero temps. Mazda wants 60K mi intervals at that temp. range. And the mfg date on the car is 12/30/01, so it went about 6 years - I think 5 years is also a recommended limit. But hey on a non-interference engine, maybe he could afford to live dangerously.

You bought it with 206k miles on it?

02 P5 (The white one in my sig) about to hit 90K miles. All is well so far. Though I noticed some hesitation and drop in power. Perhaps time for an oil change and new air filter.

105,000 miles is the recommended change. That's when I did mine.

^Yep. Some design engineer carefully calculated it (and used good engineering conservatism as well i am sure). Why waste money to do it sooner? Why wait until it breaks/leaves you stranded.

Change per the recommendation of the people that designed it!

^Yep. Some design engineer carefully calculated it (and used good engineering conservatism as well i am sure). Why waste money to do it sooner? Why wait until it breaks/leaves you stranded.

Change per the recommendation of the people that designed it!
interesting comment.....i wonder how many have actually broke?

I bought it in Aug 06 with 39000 and I haven't changed my belts yet. Don't know what happened previously, but I doubt they changed it either since the original tires were still on it then. ( I made it to 65000 miles on the original dunflops!) By that time all 4 treads had started separating. Got them replaced just in time. Can anyone beat that?

But I digress. I've inspected the timing belt and I couldn't see any cracks in it at all. Mine still looks great. I'm going to wait until at least 100,000 miles.

Sure no problem. 102K and still orginal dunlops. Thinking of changing them by the end of the summer. They still have a little bit tread left. Driving slow though.

Sure no problem. 102K and still orginal dunlops. Thinking of changing them by the end of the summer. They still have a little bit tread left. Driving slow though.

There's no way you can eke 102k out of any set of tires, unless you used a separate set of snow tires for the winter months...

Back