Protege5 - How many miles have you gone before changing the timing belt?

dd123

:
Mazda protege-5 2002
Hi,

Just curious:
How many miles have you guys gone or still going before changing timing belt...... on protege5 ?

Thanks

Deepak

Yeah, hasn't someone on here gone 140k without changing it? I thought I remember someone mentioning that recently (StealthWyvern, maybe?)...I'm at 70k on the original and plan to have it done in the next few months.

Last edited:
I just did mine @ 97,000, but the struts were shot so i figured i'd go ahead and have it all done at once...

Had mine done at 99,000 miles. The belt looked "brand new."

Here are some pics of the used belt.

So basically, I wouldn't worry so much about the belt as about the tightness of the belt, which tends to get out of spec.

Edit: the point of my post is that even though be belt itself is fine at that mileage, it is likely somewhat loose (not as tight as it should be). If it gets too loose, it will jump teeth, you car won't run!

Attachments

• IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 4,210
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 3,468
Last edited:
i changed mine at 60,xxx because the stealer ship said it looked like it was starting to show wear

The maintenance reminder light in the back of my mind for this is beginning to change from solid green to yellow green....80k right now

had an appointment scheduled for tommorrow morning to get the belt changed, but with what others are saying, I may just wait a little bit longer...althought my mechanic is only charging $150 which is really good...Pic is from this morning...

mp5odo.jpg

Your mechanic is a nice dude, and your stuff is really scratched up!

I actually think this belt can last up to 300K+, assuming you drive moderately hard.

96k miles. I wasn't waiting for 105k. We did all the timing belt stuff, new clutch, and a drain & fill on the tranny.

Just rolled 80000 miles

I bought it in Aug 06 with 39000 and I haven't changed my belts yet. Don't know what happened previously, but I doubt they changed it either since the original tires were still on it then. ( I made it to 65000 miles on the original dunflops!) By that time all 4 treads had started separating. Got them replaced just in time. Can anyone beat that?

But I digress. I've inspected the timing belt and I couldn't see any cracks in it at all. Mine still looks great. I'm going to wait until at least 100,000 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    693.1 KB · Views: 753
  • RainPic.JPG
    RainPic.JPG
    421.2 KB · Views: 671
Back