Your tyre experiences - Whats good, whats bad, and whats bloody awful?

GSB

Guys, I've read and absorbed every thread on in the wheels and tyres forum, and I have to say I'm impressed with some of the modifications on show. Theres some very very nice cars there...

However the forum is lacking in one respect. Whilst plenty has been said about the rim, everyone has been very quiet about the rubber. The tyre (or should I say "Tire" - Can't help it, Im English!) is one of the most important components on car, and it's really easy to get lumbered with 9 to 12 thousands miles of bloody awful handling, braking, and road manners if you choose the wrong ones.

So, I'm after your opinions, what tyres do you like on your MSP6 / 6MPS? Whcih ones do you hate? which ones offer the best in terms of wear, grip, price or feel?

Before coming to my new 6MPS a week ago, I ran Toyota MR2 Roadsters for a number of years, and the single most important mod you could do to the car (other than train the driver) was to make the correct choice of tyres. A set of Toyo Proxes T1-R's or Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's would make the car a tactile delight, a set of OEM Bridgstone Potenza RE040's would be mediocre in the dry, and deadly in the wet, and a set of Michelin Pilots would have you arse first into the scenery before you could even blink.

Of course the MR2 is a lightwieght Mid engined RWD sportscar, the MSP6 is a different beast entirely, so the same tyres are not nessesarily going to have the same effects...

Whats the score with the MSP6/6MPS? I your opinion, what tyres suit the nature of the car best?

Thanking you all in advance,

GSB

i've had stock, general exclaim uhp's and now bfgoodrich supersport as's and the BFG's rock. wouldn't use toyo's or goodyears i used to sell them and i'm not a big fan traction wise they always slip and keep slipping the BFGs i was selling at the same time never slipped unless you had boat loads of power or it was super cold out. but thats just my opinion and experience.

Back