Rain-Sensing Wipers question

:
11 MS3 Sport
I have a question regarding the rain sensing wipers on my MS3. First of all, I made the mistake of not reading the manual prior to applying Rain-X on each window the first day I bought it. The manual specifically says not to apply it on the front windshield as it will basically make it difficult for the sensor to gauge the appropriate amount of rain, since the rain basically flies right off the windshield and in the process right over the sensor.

Anyways, I've got it in the lowest sensitivity and still it goes off too often for me. The manual states that the rain sensor is the same as the auto headlights sensor, and auto headlight sensitivity can be adjusted at the dealer. So, does anyone know if you can have the rain sensor sensitivity adjusted as well? I would love to have that done immediately, because the lowest sensitivity isn't low enough. Sometimes, I turn it off and flip the "Mist" single swipe whenever I feel necessary (it gets kinda old).

I'm going to ask the dealer anyhow but figured I'd rather see if anyone has ever tapped into the settings through the ECU and found any parameters to adjust on the rain sensing?

I put Rain-X on the windshield without any issues. Being closer to geezer-dom than most of ya, it took me some 'sperimentin' to figure out the setting. Then I consulted the manual (OMG!) :rolleyes:

We actually got some rain here a day or so ago (probably the last we'll get for the summer unless a hurricane comes along), and they responded very well.

I guess it's more annoying as soon as I start to travel upwards of 45mph. Under, they're not so bad. Sometimes they'll just start swiping every second when theres practically no rain on the windshield.

ive noticed its only a problem in misti conditions. but if its still a problem you can remove the rain-x with alcahol. sidenote if you get a small crack divit in the front windshield repair shops cant do the cheep repair with rain-x on the window

One trick I have used for years now is when I wax the car, I also wax and shine the windows. This actually reduces the wear to the winshield quite noticeably. If left bare, the windshield will quickly develop scratches from wipers and sand etc.. pitting it heavily in a short amount of time. Waxing it fills in the pores and protects the surface somewhat.

Wax?? Like caranuba wax? That's quite interesting. I've always used rain-x since I then have to use the windshield wipers less and I have zero water marks on my windshield after a heavy rain.

I think i'm going to ask the techs on Tuesday when I visit the dealer. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

One trick I have used for years now is when I wax the car, I also wax and shine the windows. This actually reduces the wear to the winshield quite noticeably. If left bare, the windshield will quickly develop scratches from wipers and sand etc.. pitting it heavily in a short amount of time. Waxing it fills in the pores and protects the surface somewhat.

+1 and actually works better than rainX imo. Also cleans the widows off nicely . The only problem is that if you use too much you get some bad glare...just use a smidge and you're good to go...I also use wax on headlights/taillights/all outer windows on the car...it's pretty cool looking at when you're going 50mph and the water flows right up and over the car without wipers...

I've noticed that the wipers are a little over sensitive as well. I have had rain sensing wipers on three cars in the past, and they could all be adjusted a little better than these.

I have a totally different beef with the auto wipers/auto headlights: here in delaware its a law for the lights to be on when your wipers are on, and I assume there are similar laws elsewhere in the country? Well for daytime rain, its not always dark enough to turn on the auto-lights but there is plenty of rain for the wipers. Anyone else think that the lights should go on as soon as the wipers do? drives me crazy....

Never heard of that law in my life. I just leave everything on auto lights and wipers. And thats it. One less thing I have to worry about while driving.

I take that back... Just looked it up and low and behold it is a law here in Florida. Low beams must be on when wipers are in use. Although its not and have never seen this law exercised by authorities thats crazy...

Last edited:
Normally, out of courtesy, I'll turn my lights on when it's cloudy and raining hard. Helps people see you better, reduces the chances of getting hit or getting involved in an accident.

I do -not- keep my headlights in auto however. Last thing I want is my HID bulb/ballast to go bad in 5 years because of them turning on and off too frequently. Infact, I had posted about this earlier. Whenever I turn my car on, I leave it in "On" for a second or two, then fire. Well, if the headlights are in "auto", that means they kick on, shut off, then fire right back up when you actually start the car (Of course, that's when its dark outside). Thats been known to reduce the life of HID's and it's even spoken on in the manual somewhere.

Well, not in this one...

Actually, you are wrong. From the FL Driver's Handbook:

Reduced Visibility
You must turn on your low beam (dim) headlights when driving between sunset and sunrise, including the twilight hours between
sunset and sunrise or between full night and sunrise. You must also use these lights during any rain, smoke or fog. Parking lights do
not meet requirements of this law.

Although its not and have never seen this law exercised by authorities thats crazy...

I bet its like tint laws, or cell phone laws, just something they could VERY easily tack onto a speeding ticket. PA had a law like that saying that you could only be in the passing lane for 1 mile without passing another vehicle.

Normally, out of courtesy, I'll turn my lights on when it's cloudy and raining hard. Helps people see you better, reduces the chances of getting hit or getting involved in an accident.

i would hope that is part of everyone's general driver training, which is why I dont see why it shouldnt be a law everywhere, and also would be an added safety feature that mazda couldve added here

i would hope that is part of everyone's general driver training, which is why I dont see why it shouldnt be a law everywhere, and also would be an added safety feature that mazda couldve added here

Unfortunately, in the US, driving isn't taken very seriously. Infact, it's a chore moreso than it is a responsibility and a priviledge.

Our LED tails are extremely bright for the rearward drivers to see, and the front parking lights even are bright as sin. So if nothing else, atleast the parking lights could come on with the wipers.

I only imagine that cars will get more sophisticated to the point where they can tell if it's cloudy or actually getting later/darker in the evening.

Unfortunately, in the US, driving isn't taken very seriously. Infact, it's a chore moreso than it is a responsibility and a priviledge.

Our LED tails are extremely bright for the rearward drivers to see, and the front parking lights even are bright as sin. So if nothing else, atleast the parking lights could come on with the wipers.

I only imagine that cars will get more sophisticated to the point where they can tell if it's cloudy or actually getting later/darker in the evening.

Well the case in Canada is just to have Day time running lights. simplifies the issue with turning them on/off, cause most cars have with DRLs just have auto headlights anyways so once its dark enough the lights either brighten, or they switch over to the HIDs. Personally I hate DRLs

On my 300C, the headlights automatically come on ten seconds after the wipers do. Really nice feature. Are some of these automatic things adjustable in programming? My C allows me to set the sensitivity of the lights, but it was a "cookie" in the EVIC.

Back