Mazda5 Tires: Issues & Replacement Recommendations

Thanks for the heads up I was looking at 60k tires and even an 80k tire.

Looks like roughly 130-150 each. Im pact bubbles...argh... I popped a tire on my mazda3 HB on a pothole and even managed to bend the rim. it really makes you think twice about those tiny little tires. My mustang tires were 89 bucks a piece and you couldnt hit a pothole big enough to make an impact bubble, sure it handled like crap but... im just starting to hate the overpriced low profile tires.

Thanks for the heads up I was looking at 60k tires and even an 80k tire.

Looks like roughly 130-150 each. Im pact bubbles...argh... I popped a tire on my mazda3 HB on a pothole and even managed to bend the rim. it really makes you think twice about those tiny little tires. My mustang tires were 89 bucks a piece and you couldnt hit a pothole big enough to make an impact bubble, sure it handled like crap but... im just starting to hate the overpriced low profile tires.

That's precisely why I decided on the 07GS here in Canada with it's 16" wheels and forgo some features. It doesn't really look bad, the handling may not be as sharp as with the 17" wheels but I think the ride is more comfortable. Although the tires are not as cheap as I thought they would be compared to the 17".(yupnope) But it sure looks really nice after I changed back to the alloys from the winter tires with steelies! (headbang)

Let me throw out another option - Yokohama AVID V4S.
I still have the OEM Toyo Crappies on our 5, so I cannot say how they would perform in a lower profile version on the 5, but I have had these on my 2001 Jetta since those OEM GoodYear Eagle Junks wore out/got unsafe, and I have been VERY happy with the Yokohama Avids. They are not loud, have a smooth ride, are great in the rain, ok in the snow, and are very predictable performers (you know how far you can push them). When my Toyo Crappies wear out/before next winter, I plan to replace them with the Yokohamas. You can often find a good deal in the states at Mr. Tire (buy 3 get one free) - just watch that they don't gouge or chip your rims with their tools or balance weights.
Dave

I would find and try another Yokohama dealer local to you - OR, order to your shop from Tire Rack and have them install. As I understand, most tire shops and garages will install Tire Rack tires for a nominal $10-20 or so per tire.
By the way - nice 5. Cardinal Red? We just got our tinted this week - SWEET!

Yeah its the cardianl red, I have a black one too. I called my wife when the 1st shipment of 5's came in to Michigan at the dealer, they had the dark gray one and this red one, so I asked the wife and she told me to get the red one so I did . My nickname for it has always been "pinktank". However my almost 3yr old is quick to remind me "Its red daddy". So...booya perfecto (who once thought it was pink too)

^^ fam, you are referring to your pink Mazda5, right? LOL

Just giving you a hard time, Friday at last :D. But in all truth it's been almost 3 years since I bought my 06 Mazda5, and never seen a Cardinal Red in person...

OK OK, keeping on topic

(outie)

Mazda5 Tires. Issues and Recommendations

All 4 of my tires need replacement on my 07 due to excessive cupping on the inside edge. I just turned 15K!! I've rotated them 3 times but it doesn't seem to help. My 06 has the same problem.

Of course the dealer claims that I'm the only one. Am I?

No, you're not the only one. For a while I thought I was the only one who didn't have the issue, but then it showed up for me as well ('06). There are a few threads about this. I think they're down in the suspension sub-forum.

No, you're not the only one. For a while I thought I was the only one who didn't have the issue, but then it showed up for me as well ('06). There are a few threads about this. I think they're down in the suspension sub-forum.

WELL I THINKS THIS A LOAD OF BS!!!!

HOW LONG CAN MAZDA INGNORE THIS, WE ALL KNOW THE TECHS LOOK AT THESE FORUMS FOR CUSTOMER FEED BACK AND POINTERS!!!!

ITS OBVIOUS ITS MAZDA AND THERE IS A DESIGN FLAW RESULTING IN TIRE ISSUES.....BUT OF COURSE THEY DONT WANT TO ADMIT THERE IS...BECUASE IF THEY DO...IT WILL BE ALOT OF $$$,$$$,$$$.......(nailbyt)

THere needs to be an CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!!! (nuts)

But i still loove my '5"

I totally agree, but I remember reading back in the day when I got my 06' m5, alot of people where complaining about the rubber that the dealers were putting on. Most people i know that got 5's changed their tires. I dont know what the condition of their tires are now, but all i know is that mine are bald... after 35,000km.

I got over 40,000 miles out of my stock tires. I check the pressure weekly, and I rotate every 5,000 miles...

^^^ Oh drop it all ready, we get the point. I have a set of Nexen N3000 on mine sized 215/50 and have been very very pleased with them so far. After about 6,500 miles they are worlds quieter than the Toyos, which was my principle complaint about them. Nexen is a Korean arm of Michelin, from what I have gathered lurking on the internet.

You guys really should go looking in the other sub-forum. I recall reading at least one poster there who has an alignment that seems to be working for them, though the Zoom-Zoom factor has been significantly compromised in order to get better tire wear.

I think that was me. I had the negative camber removed from the rear with aftermarket adjusting "rods". The dealer did it but I still don't have the paperwork on it.

FWIW, I don't think this is a tire brand issue. My 06 has stock tires but my 07 has Pirelli PZero Nero is 215/45-18 installed by the dealer. Both cars have the same inside wear issue.

It's not a safety thing. It's a quality & noise problem. My tires are LOUD and in need of replacement. I ordered some Kumho's last night from Tirerack. Guess we'll see over time if what the dealer did helps with tire wear. Certainly didn't help with spirited, mountain road driving.

You know, I think it was you, monsta!

I agree with you that this is not a tire brand issue. I was afraid your alignment changes would mess with the Zoom-Zoom quotient. :(

I hope it clears the wear issue, though!

39,000 miles and still have almost 1/2 tread on the tires...... 205/50 ZR17's....... little roar at lower speeds, but I think that's the type tire ...... I think it has a lot to do with the type driver you are....... I like zipping around, but I'm not drifting my rear end (I know the tire want last doing that)...... I've had the alignment checked a couple of times (20,000, 30,000 miles), shop said it was within specs and he wouldn't recommend changing anything........ I'll let you guys know how their doing..........

One quick question, does anyone know when I'm ready to change my tires, how much can I vary the size? I'm thinking of putting a little more tire between me and the road..... I'm thinking of something in the 225 range, anyone moved from 205 to 225?

Thanks,
dfskinner

Last edited:
Back