Mazda5 Tires: Issues & Replacement Recommendations

Two more pics:

Those don't look Like General Exclaims to me. I was just in on Saturday looking at some and the tread pattern on the Exclaim is VERY different from what you show. Here's the tread on the General Exclaim.

inc_product_zoom_display.jsp

here's your tread pattern

attachment.php

something that hasn't been said in this thread, though it is somewhat implied...

Putting a taller tire on your car effectively lowers the final drive ratio. Most of the effects of that were discussed here, but it should also be noted that your car will accelerate slower. Not by much, mind you.

Those don't look Like General Exclaims to me. I was just in on Saturday looking at some and the tread pattern on the Exclaim is VERY different from what you show. Here's the tread on the General Exclaim.

inc_product_zoom_display.jsp

here's your tread pattern

attachment.php

I cannot see the Canadian Tire one as I don't have a Canadian Postal code, but Could it be the General Exclaim has different models/patterns (i.e. like Michelin or Toyo)? Never bought from them but the earlier attached pic states "General Exclaim" on the tire's profile:
http://www.mazdav.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102446

I also went with a 215/50/17 and haven't looked back. The stock "tires" were replaced at 7000 miles due to them being unsafe in just about every driving condition I can think of. I opted for a the Goodyear Triple Tread. They look & perform fantasticly well.

Mazda should be ashamed of themselves for installing those sorry excuse pieces of CRAP that Toyo attempts to call tires on these cars. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever run across a Toyo tire that was worth a damn anyways.

I also went with a 215/50/17 and haven't looked back. The stock "tires" were replaced at 7000 miles due to them being unsafe in just about every driving condition I can think of. I opted for a the Goodyear Triple Tread. They look & perform fantasticly well.

Mazda should be ashamed of themselves for installing those sorry excuse pieces of CRAP that Toyo attempts to call tires on these cars. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever run across a Toyo tire that was worth a damn anyways.

a) OE tires from almost every make are garbage. Look on almost any car forum, you will see people bitching about OE tires. There are exceptions to this, but I'm just saying....

b) Toyo T1-s or T1-r would change your mind about toyo.

a) OE tires from almost every make are garbage. Look on almost any car forum, you will see people bitching about OE tires. There are exceptions to this, but I'm just saying....

b) Toyo T1-s or T1-r would change your mind about toyo.

Well said jeesbum. I think the OEM tire market is just a billboard for tire manufacturers/sell point. My '01 Toyota ECHO cam with Brigestone POS tires, but I know that Brigestone make some good stuff. Heck, my Wal-Mart Uniroyal replacement tires were better than the Brigestones. I mean look at Firestone with those Ford tires yeas back that fell apart... It's just one of those things where a car has to have tires and the manufacturers buy from the lowest bidder.

I'm not sure I have even seen a car with great OEM tires, other than some high end sport models, where they can be sold as part of a package.

Well said jeesbum. I think the OEM tire market is just a billboard for tire manufacturers/sell point. My '01 Toyota ECHO cam with Brigestone POS tires, but I know that Brigestone make some good stuff. Heck, my Wal-Mart Uniroyal replacement tires were better than the Brigestones. I mean look at Firestone with those Ford tires yeas back that fell apart... It's just one of those things where a car has to have tires and the manufacturers buy from the lowest bidder.

I'm not sure I have even seen a car with great OEM tires, other than some high end sport models, where they can be sold as part of a package.

Yeah, it sucks because you look at the tire and go, "oooh that's a nice Michelin, Brigestone, dunlop.." then you realize they totally suck and laugh at the $180/each replacement cost.

All my Bimmers came with excellent, Z-rated, rubber. Though I tend to replace those with cheaper alternatives since the stockers cost a fortune and last 15-20k miles.

Lots of newer cars get LRR tires, that sacrifice every positive aspect of driving for an extra 1-2MPG.

I have a set of T1-S's on my Volkswagen and lets just suffice it to say that I will never own another set of Toyo tires as long as I live. Everyone told me to buy those tires... "They're great Keith... You'll love them..." Couldn't possibly be more wrong. They perform *marginally* better than the stockers that came with my 5. Wet traction is abysmal, they break loose WAY too easily, and cause my car to wheel hop like it's no ones business. It's not like my car is a rocket or anything either. Hell, my soft as hell snow tires handle dry and wet conditions better than these T1-S's I have. One of my friends said it best about Toyo. "They're three season tires. As long as all three seasons are bone dry with no humidity, and hotter than hell".

On a side note unrelated to tires... Where the heck are the quote message, reply to this message, and edit message buttons? All I can do to post on this board is the quick reply box... ***Edit.. Nevermind... The server that hosts all the "static" images here is of course blocked by our firewall here...

Last edited:
Anyone with 215/55/R17 ????

Just wondering if anyone has 215/55/17s. I'm tired of buying new tires becuase of impact bubbles with low profile tires.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
the diameter of that wheel/tire combo is a full 1.2 inches greater than stock. Even if it could fit, do you really want your speedo off 5% and the decreased acceleration caused by lowering your final drive that much, on a car that already lacks in the power dept?

The tire caluclator shows 1.9" taller than stock. I'm already at 215/50/17's and my speedo shows 1mph slower than I'm really going. At indicated 60mph, I'm going 59mph, so I really don't think a couple of mph would make that much of a difference.

Also, I really don't think I'll notice the lack of accelleration, especially since I'm not going to the track and worried about my 60' times.

But, at highway speed I should be turning a few less RPMs, as when I went to the 215's, my 70mph RPMs slowed by 100.

Considering according to the scanguage I only use about 60 HP max when accelerating (briskly, usually it's only about 40 HP) I don't think I would notice a taller final drive either. The only time the car downshifts is when the cruise control freaks out. Consider I also drive the car loaded with people all the time.

The tire caluclator shows 1.9" taller than stock. I'm already at 215/50/17's and my speedo shows 1mph slower than I'm really going. At indicated 60mph, I'm going 59mph, so I really don't think a couple of mph would make that much of a difference.

Also, I really don't think I'll notice the lack of accelleration, especially since I'm not going to the track and worried about my 60' times.

But, at highway speed I should be turning a few less RPMs, as when I went to the 215's, my 70mph RPMs slowed by 100.

the tire calc I have shows 1.2" from 205/50/17 to 215/55/17. What are you using to get 1.9"

If you aren't concerned about the slight speedo change, don't mind the slight accel decrease, and not worried about a little more sidewall flex contributing to "slightly" less sharp turn-in, then go for it.

It's like when I threw 31s on my old Pathfinder. I didn't give a rats ass what it did, other than the benefit it gave me off-road.

that's the one I'm using, been using it forever.

I still don't see how you got that number. 205/50/17 (stock) diameter is 25.1 inches. 215/55/17 is 26.3 inches.

That's 1.2 inches.

That is correct, but however after playing around with the numbers, I must have input 205/45/17 as stock instead of the 205/50/17.

MD5,
Your tires still holding up well, like them? How long are they supposed to last?

I need tires so im curious.

I want a 60k mile tire if its not too much more expensive for a 30-40k.

Thanks,

MD5,
Your tires still holding up well, like them? How long are they supposed to last?

I need tires so im curious.

I want a 60k mile tire if its not too much more expensive for a 30-40k.

Thanks,

It's hard to say since I've had to replace 3 of them due to impact bubbles. The only tire that I have left has about 33k miles on it and it needs to be replaced soon.

I'm currently looking at the Michelin Primacy MXV4 or the Yokohama YK520, both are listed as a 60k mile tire.

Back