Mazda5 Tires: Issues & Replacement Recommendations

MD5 said:
OK, I just checked my speedo on the way home.

Indicated speed 70 - Radar hunts between 69/70, but spends more time at 69
Indicated speed 75 - Radar hunts between 74/75, but spends more time at 74
Indicated speed 80 - Radar hunts bewteen 79/80, but spends more time at 79

That's close enough for government work. I don't think you can get much closer than that to true speed. I just wished I'd checked the speedo before the tire swap.

By the way, I also checked 30, 40, and 50 mph all with the exact same results. The radar was from one mph slower to exactly the speed indicated.

Good to know, now I won't go with that 45 series tire when I replace. Thanks for the great feedback and info.

ChadSpeed said:
Good to know, now I won't go with that 45 series tire when I replace. Thanks for the great feedback and info.

No prob. It helps having a radar at your disposal!(burnout)

MD5 said:
OK, I just checked my speedo on the way home.

Indicated speed 70 - Radar hunts between 69/70, but spends more time at 69
Indicated speed 75 - Radar hunts between 74/75, but spends more time at 74
Indicated speed 80 - Radar hunts bewteen 79/80, but spends more time at 79

That's close enough for government work. I don't think you can get much closer than that to true speed. I just wished I'd checked the speedo before the tire swap.

By the way, I also checked 30, 40, and 50 mph all with the exact same results. The radar was from one mph slower to exactly the speed indicated.

So for the next set of tires, I should choose 205/60-16 (25.6-25.8" OAD) for best speedo accuracy.

225-45/17

I traded my Saab wheels for some AR rims and had them mount my tires to them. They are Yokohama 520's. My GPS Nav indicates they are more accurate than the 205-50s that came on the SuperMini!

Last edited:
07MZ5SA said:
So for the next set of tires, I should choose 205/60-16 (25.6-25.8" OAD) for best speedo accuracy.

That looks to be pretty darn close.

AIMWO4 said:
I traded my Saab wheels for some AR rims and had them mount my tires to them. They are Yokohama 520's. My GPS Nav indicates they are more accurate than the 205-50s that came on the SuperMini!

What size?

They are 17's. The tires are 225-45/17's. One of these days I'll have decent weather on a weekend and take some pics.

Boytoys- would you be interested in a set - I have just over 5,000 on mine, mostly miles put on by my wife and NO curb shots, so in excellent condition - no repairs an no exceptional wear. I am considering changing to a different size - would you want to buy the Toyos if I did and if so name a price you think to be fair.

Bigger tires

I want to replace the original Toyo on my Mazda5 GT(205/50/17) with something bigger like 215/50/17 or 225/45/17 and I'm wondering if someone knows if they gonna fit or if they gonna rub the body at maximum steer. Thanks in advance!

boytoys said:
Do you still have the original Toyos ? are they still in good to excellent condition ?

After 24k miles of ZoomZoom fun, the tires were at the wear bars.

CaliMero said:
I want to replace the original Toyo on my Mazda5 GT(205/50/17) with something bigger like 215/50/17 or 225/45/17 and I'm wondering if someone knows if they gonna fit or if they gonna rub the body at maximum steer. Thanks in advance!

My 215/50/17s dont' rub at all and the RPMs are down just a tad. The next set I buy will be the same size.

225/45/17

MD5 said:
My 215/50/17s dont' rub at all and the RPMs are down just a tad. The next set I buy will be the same size.

Thanks MD5... it helps a lot
Did anyone here install 225/45/17 ? (help)

I am planning to install 225/45/17's but was told by Mazda that 225's won't fit on the factory rims. Need to buy new rims if you want to have 225's on.

CaliMero said:
Thanks MD5... it helps a lot
Did anyone here install 225/45/17 ? (help)

Most sites I looked at recommended a 7.0-8.0" rim width. I think ours are 6.5"

Matt

I really like the look of the 215/50/17s. I just test drove a Touring earlier this week and the stock tires look too small for the vehicle. It's amazing what difference the tire size will make.

I wish Yokohama sold their AVID TRZ in that size. I put them on my Vibe (205/55/16) and love 'em. They're very quiet and handle well in rain and snow.

I really like the look of the 215/50/17s. I just test drove a Touring earlier this week and the stock tires look too small for the vehicle. It's amazing what difference the tire size will make.

I wish Yokohama sold their AVID TRZ in that size. I put them on my Vibe (205/55/16) and love 'em. They're very quiet and handle well in rain and snow.

I've got over 10k miles on the Generals now. I've been very happy. We've had a TON of rain this year and they handle water great. I've driven at speeds of 75 mph in fairly heavy rain and never once hydroplaned. Now I did get loose driving through a deep puddle that didn't look deep when I approached at 40 mph.(hand)

I've got over 10k miles on the Generals now. I've been very happy. We've had a TON of rain this year and they handle water great. I've driven at speeds of 75 mph in fairly heavy rain and never once hydroplaned. Now I did get loose driving through a deep puddle that didn't look deep when I approached at 40 mph.(hand)

Good to know but us northerners need to know about snow also.

I put the General Exclaim on my car after 44,000 miles on the Toyos. I went with the original size though I did strongly consider the 215's. My only complaint is that they seem a bit noisy to me. They handle fine, and, as pointed out above, are much better in the rain. It has not snowed here in 15 years so that is not a worry...

I have noticed that they seem to be very pressure sensitive. I am running them at 37 psi for now. I can feel a 2 pound drop in pressure in the steering. So I have to check them frequently.

Back