Mazda5 Tires: Issues & Replacement Recommendations

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

It cost $600 installed + tax at Quality Discount Tire in Kensington, MD.

If I may asked does this price includes any of the following?

* lifetime rotation/balancing
* road hazard replacement coverage

Thanks in advance for your reply.

If I may asked does this price includes any of the following?

* lifetime rotation/balancing
* road hazard replacement coverage

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I don't think so. This didn't matter much to me as I get my tires rotated at the dealer when I get my oil changed.

Radial Tire in Silver Spring has lifetime rotate/balance.

Fuel Economy

Has anyone with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires noticed a decline in fuel economy? I'm thinkin that my pressures may be too low with this new size. I asked the shop to inflate to 36psi.

I don't think so. This didn't matter much to me as I get my tires rotated at the dealer when I get my oil changed.

Radial Tire in Silver Spring has lifetime rotate/balance.

Thanks Lee for the quick response. I am trying to see what best price I can get them installed here in SE Houston by using the tirerack.com price ($122/each) as a leverage. I'll probably end up either with Discount Tire or NTB since they are close by.

Has anyone with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires noticed a decline in fuel economy? I'm thinkin that my pressures may be too low with this new size. I asked the shop to inflate to 36psi.

Ours was the same as always, did you get the stock size? I fill them to 40psi.

We did 1600 miles on a vacation in july averaging about 28~30 mpg loaded with two kids two adults, luggage for a week, golf clubs, and rear carrier with bike and cooler. These are great tires from our experience. Though there was a section of concrete highway that had a harmonic, noticed it to a lesser extend with my protege5 running toyo proxes tires.

Our price was $660 with full warranty from Big O Tires.

Ours was the same as always, did you get the stock size? I fill them to 40psi.

We did 1600 miles on a vacation in july averaging about 28~30 mpg loaded with two kids two adults, luggage for a week, golf clubs, and rear carrier with bike and cooler. These are great tires from our experience. Though there was a section of concrete highway that had a harmonic, noticed it to a lesser extend with my protege5 running toyo proxes tires.

Our price was $660 with full warranty from Big O Tires.

I checked my pressures this morning and they were 34/35psi. I will try 40.

you should be ok at 36 but keep checking it once a week. I would not go past 39 though. 40 is too high. You'll be fine between 36-39. I keep mine at 38 and i haven't had any issues with uneven treadwear. the ride is a little firimer, but not uncomfortable. I didn't notice much of a difference in handling other than a tiny bit more oversteer in the beginning of a fast turn

Last edited:
I also replaced my OEM Toyos, which have completely worn out at 37,000, with a set of 4 Continental ExtremeContact DWS. It cost $480 (tires at Tirerack.com), $46 (shipping) and $86 (installation at a local tire shop). There is a TomTom portable GPS rebate from Continental Tires, just as a bonus. My impression is that the new tires give better handling and brake performance but little improvement in noise. If you live in a warm and dry area and put higher priority in quiet/comfortable ride, you'd better go with grand touring tires such as Kumhos or Michelins.

^^^ KUMHOS!?!?!?!?!?!?! Are you joking? Even if they felt great, sounded great, handled great, etc. I would never, ever buy something that my life depends on that is made in China. How people can so easily forget the melamine in the baby food, lead in the toys, steel pipelines blowing up because of flawed steel, etc. is beyond me. Don't buy Chinese crap just because it's cheap. Sorry, I digress.

Last edited:
Better double-check the componants in that Mazda5 of yours, Robo. Lots of electronics outsourced these days to the lowest bidder.

Oh, I'm sure. But, as long as I have a choice, there will not be Chinese tires on my car because I don't trust their products. I know exactly what you're saying though and I can honestly say that it really, really pisses me off that I have no choice with almost all of the parts on my car. I remember a long time ago (yes I'm feeling old saying that) when it was Japanese stuff that was junk. Now look at how good Japanese stuff is. It's about as high-quality as it gets. Then came South Korea. Then Taiwan. Then Singapore. Then China. Now Vietnam, Bangladesh, Malaysia, etc. It's something we have to live with, but none of these countries have a national effort to defraud the world that feeds them put in place by a disturbed government like China does. I will never buy a Chinese product if I have a choice. I'd buy Iranian before I bought Chinese. I don't trust them to care if the products are made right.

And, I forgot to mention the dry wall fiasco. There are many other situations where Chinese "companies", if you can call factories in a communist country that, knowingly produced all sorts of things that they knew were defective and could kill people. If you walk around my house you will find Chinese products occasionally, but rest assured that I went through hell and high water to find an alternative before I bought the Chinese garbage.

OK, OK, I'll stop.

you should be ok at 36 but keep checking it once a week. I would not go past 39 though. 40 is too high. You'll be fine between 36-39. I keep mine at 38 and i haven't had any issues with uneven treadwear. the ride is a little firimer, but not uncomfortable. I didn't notice much of a difference in handling other than a tiny bit more oversteer in the beginning of a fast turn

I've fiddled with the tire pressures and there hasn't been any difference in fuel economy between 40psi vs 36psi. Could it be that the new size is affecting my odometer just that little bit? For example, I usually got around 220 miles when I'm down to 1/4 tank on the OEM Toyos and now I get 200 miles. Not a big deal, just curious.

Could it be that the new size is affecting my odometer just that little bit?

yeah probably. Use an online tire calculator, if they're bigger you get fewer rev's per mile, are going faster than what the speedo says so.... My DWS's were stock 205/50/17's.

yeah probably. Use an online tire calculator, if they're bigger you get fewer rev's per mile, are going faster than what the speedo says so.... My DWS's were stock 205/50/17's.

Found a calculator and the size difference amounts to about a 1 mile difference. Thanks!

Last edited:
^^^ KUMHOS!?!?!?!?!?!?! Are you joking? Even if they felt great, sounded great, handled great, etc. I would never, ever buy something that my life depends on that is made in China. How people can so easily forget the melamine in the baby food, lead in the toys, steel pipelines blowing up because of flawed steel, etc. is beyond me. Don't buy Chinese crap just because it's cheap. Sorry, I digress.

I think they are a Korean company fwiw. However, there is a chance they are made in China since they manufacture there as well as Korea, so check the sidewall. Found the info here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080417153152AA1fMtP

Personally, I dont buy tires on price. I buy names I trust or have had experience with. On my list right now are : Yokohama, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, high end Pirelli, Goodyear and Hankook believe it or not. Michelin is out for me since the sidewalls tend to bubble easily from potholes. I had a set of Nittos that I threw out after 3000 miles. I would never have thought Hankook but I had a set on my Maxima that I got when I bought some new rims, they were in great shape but I was VERY leery about how well they would work. They turned out to be very grippy, quiet and amazing in the wet and snow.

I will never understand how people can buy the cheapest tire they can find and trust their safety to them. The right tire can be night and day so choose carefully! You would be amazed how many people in NYC have high end cars with the cheapest tire Pep boys or Sears sells. Its even more awful how many have mismatched sets around the whole car, like 3 different tires! I have my eye out for new tires since the OEM toyos seem awful in the snow so far. I just dont know if I can justify it, depends how much I can get for the old ones since they only have 3300 mi on them.

I'ved had Kumhos on three different cars and used for auto-x. I would've bought another for the 5 if not for the huge price increase due to the tire tariff.

It's sad that it doesn't seem anyone here listened to you. I have used multiple sets of these on my Saabs which run very similar aggressive suspension setups with lots of neg. camber. The HTR Z-III's are the best tire that money can buy if you like grip and need a tire that can handle the setup without wearing funny like most all other tires will do on the 5.

The secret to these HTR Z IIIs is the solid inner tread line. Because it is solid there is no way for it to cup. That means more of your tread can be used since the wear is more even.

How many of you guys have replaced your tires because the inner portion was done but otherwise the tread was in good shape? The design of these Sumitomos allows for an even softer, more grippy, tread to be used without the mileage hit that you would see in other high performance tires.

The other thing is they are incredibly quiet and for a performance tire very comfortable. Way more so than much less performing tires.

I highly suggest you fellow 5 owners not ignore this advice.

I need to update that I'll be coming up on two years and probably have a month or two of life left in them. I bought them in October 08 and have since put about 32k miles on them. They still ride smooth and even at about 3/32nds to 4/32nds of tread depth, are still relatively quiet. Cornering grip has always been excellent. I will be buying another set.

My van is a 5 speed manual with the Tri-Point engineering rear sway bar. I don't slow down for turns. I'm really impressed they lasted this long as I drive the living s*** out of them.

It's sad that it doesn't seem anyone here listened to you. I have used multiple sets of these on my Saabs which run very similar aggressive suspension setups with lots of neg. camber. The HTR Z-III's are the best tire that money can buy if you like grip and need a tire that can handle the setup without wearing funny like most all other tires will do on the 5.

The secret to these HTR Z IIIs is the solid inner tread line. Because it is solid there is no way for it to cup. That means more of your tread can be used since the wear is more even.

How many of you guys have replaced your tires because the inner portion was done but otherwise the tread was in good shape? The design of these Sumitomos allows for an even softer, more grippy, tread to be used without the mileage hit that you would see in other high performance tires.

The other thing is they are incredibly quiet and for a performance tire very comfortable. Way more so than much less performing tires.

I highly suggest you fellow 5 owners not ignore this advice.

i second the opinion on the sumitomo HTR Z III's! i bought a complete set to replace the stock goodyear eagle RS-As that came with my mazda3. the sumitomos were fantastic... too bad i traded the car in with only 5k miles on them. they stuck better than any other tire i've owned, and were quiet. these will be on the top of my list when i have to replace the tires on my new mazda5.

Back