Talk me *out* of buying a MS3...

sperry

:
'02 WRX / '94 SVX / '01 F-250SD
First off, I'm new to the board, so hello to everyone!

Second, I've been a Subaru guy for the last 7 years. I've got an '02 WRX racecar (STi engine/tranny, rollcage, etc, etc, etc) and a '94 SVX daily driver. But I'm thinking it's time for something new.

I was really planning on getting a new STi... but then I compared it to the MS3:

What I'm giving up by going MS3 over STi:
- AWD (Which I'll really miss :()
- 40hp/10ftlbs
- Tons more room for tires

What I'm gaining:
- Better looks
- *Much* nicer interior
- Better mileage
- $10,000 in my pocket

So, it seems that even though the STi pretty much trounces the MS3 in performance (stock for stock) the MS3 is by far more bang for the buck. Since I've already got a highly modded track car, I'm not planning on doing anything to either of these cars that would effect the warranty. I'm looking for a sporty, but useful daily driver.

So my question is... why shouldn't I buy a MS3? I'm sure I can find 1000 people on this forum that can tell me why to get one, but I've already figured that out I think. I'm more interested in finding out what the MS3 enthusiasts don't like about the car. Any common build quality issues? What about design issues (I hear the shifter is annoying...)? Any maintenance headaches? Any common mods (that won't screw with the warranty) I should consider? Should I be holding out for an '09 Mazda for any reason? Perhaps wait for an '08.5 to come up used? Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: If anyone's interested in my SVX, I'll be selling it when I buy something new. ;) Hell, for the right price I'll even sell the WRX, but I doubt anyone is interested in a car with that much work done to it, considering what I'd have to sell it for to recoup just 30% of what I've spent on it.

What I'm dealing with right now, which is not exactly why the MS3 > STi, but why not to buy a MS3....

The 2009 Corolla I was looking at was very nice, smooth, reliable, etc. Insurance would be cheaper, it would be around $200/month for 5 years instead of my $400/month over 6 years, and instead of 22mpg at 93 octane, my friend's 2009 Corolla easily gets over 30mpg on regular unleaded.

That, and I just got laid off from my job. Car payment, maintenance, insurance, gas and mods (cough cough) on top of rent, student loan bills, and now with no job :\

Oh, and the 2008 STi is ugly as sin!!!

Remember, I LOOOOOOVE my MS3, but you wanted to know why not, and there it is!

well, like you said, 10K more in pocket for future goodies and while I don't have facts to back it up, I'm assuming a new MS3 insures for less than a new STI so that's money in pocket as well. You've already got the AWD goodness for when the bug hits, I say buy the MS3 for some daily fun and put the extra money into your other cars.

well, like you said, 10K more in pocket for future goodies and while I don't have facts to back it up, I'm assuming a new MS3 insures for less than a new STI so that's money in pocket as well. You've already got the AWD goodness for when the bug hits, I say buy the MS3 for some daily fun and put the extra money into your other cars.

actually subaru insurance is really cheap because they are a very "safe" car. Safe meaning car for car, not teenage driver for teenage driver. Awd helps insurance costs go down quite a bit. But maybe that is just here in Vegas where nothing makes sence.

Now that I think about it you should ask this on another forum. I'm sure there will be alot more reasons not to get one. In fact I'd be curious to see the responses. Good times.

I will certainly agree that the STi is pretty ugly. But, all Subarus are kinda ugly. It never really bothered me, as long as the performance is there to back it up.

Insurance on the MS3 is probably about as much cheaper than the STi as the Corolla is cheap than the MS3. So for me, the MS3 is actually going to save me cash there too.

The SVX I'll be selling gets around 16city/20highway, but it takes 91 oct (premium here on the west coast) just like the MS3 takes. The new STi is supposed to get 17/23, the MS3 is supposed to be 18/26, right? All three cars are a hell of a lot cheaper than 100oct race gas at 7 mpg in the WRX. :eek: So, mileage isn't earth shattering in the MS3, but it's not going to be shocking to my wallet compared to where I'm at now.

Any comments on how the car drives? I tend to save my aggressive driving for the racetrack, so I won't be launching it, or tearing ass all over the place... but I want a sporty and fun car 'cause I like to drive. I am a bit worried about how stiff the MS3 is... I haven't driven the new STi or the MS3 yet so I'm just going by other's comments, but if the MS3 is stiffer than the '04/'05 STis, it might be too stiff for traveling over the worn out roads in the mountains.

actually subaru insurance is really cheap because they are a very "safe" car. Safe meaning car for car, not teenage driver for teenage driver. Awd helps insurance costs go down quite a bit. But maybe that is just here in Vegas where nothing makes sence.
STi's are one of the most expensive cars out there to insure. I can't think of anything more expensive without considering exotics and crazy sports cars twice the cost of the STi. Same goes with the EVO.

But, I'm 30 years old, so my insurance isn't too bad.

Your Subaru friends might hate on you for buying an MS3? I dunno. Honestly it's a really good car for the money if you want to go fast and haul s***.

You will be driving a cute car. Seriously, this is 2nd coming of vw beatle. You dont want to see girls driving same car as you because it looks cute do you?

Let's be honest, you wanna drive ugly car or cute car?

The STI is the second most expensive car to insure next to the EVO, so it isnt cheaper insurance. The MS3 is the shiznit... Dont buy anything else. If the shifter annoys you but a TWM and be done with it.

i feel as if every car has its pros and cons. yeah the car gave me some headache in the beggining. its definately a rattle box, even till this day. somethign buzzing or rattling somewhere. it's annoying yeah but easily fixable. the engine itself, is amazing and never really had any problems.

Oh, and constant fear of ending up like some of these guys with voided warranties, engines dropping out from under their cards, pistons tearing through blocks, turbos smoking and blowing. Factory ties suck, new ones are expensive because of the size. Can't do your own wrenching, even oil changes, without voiding warranty (or at least thats what my dealer told me).

It blends in too much unless you have crystal white or arrest-me-red. Generally, not a really attractive car. I know, station wagon, ew. Factory wheels are ugly too.

^^
And I second bad paint and things beginning to rattle. It begins under 3k miles and never stops.

Speaking for myself (and please no guff from MS3 owners) but when I even dream of trading in the MS6, I wonder what I would be satisied with that isn't AWD. I can't imagine having a car without it now. I'm afraid that's how a former STi owner might feel as well, unless you never truly enjoyed the performance benefits it brings to the table in that car. I cussed a lot of my former FWD cars because of all the wheelspin drama I'd get while trying to accelerate onto the frontage road that borders my neighborhood. With water on the pavement, it was horrible. When I tell a car to go, I want it to go. That's the case with the MS6 and I can't imagine what I'd replace it with unless I come into a lot of money and get an RS4.

Back